1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Banished... City building and Resource Management game

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by GraniteRok, 22 Feb 2014.

1. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Not a team game but a fun and frustrated diversion. Kind of like SimCity but without outside influences. Discuss here any hints and things that you've noticed! On Steam, $20 right now.

Starvation is my biggest thing! I think I've become a mass murderer.... Pretty much starved 3-4 entire populations at this point!

2. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    looks interesting

3. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I am considering this...

4. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Fun game.. only took me ten minutes to starve my people. :lol:

5. ...then the rest die from the cold.

6. Hamma

Officer
    I restarted the game before that happened.. second try hasn't been so bad though they are starting to starve and freeze. Never enough trees!

7. Max your gatherers. They seem to be the key to not starving.

8. Hamma

Officer
    Yea :\

Farms take up so much room and cattle is a bitch to get it seems.

Fun game though I can't wait to play it again tonight or tomorrow :lol:

9. Tbeast

Officer
    Put mine all on farms at first , then in winter flip them to fisherman

10. Hamma

Officer
    May give that a try :D

11. GraniteRok

Officer
    I've got a nice community going so far, upwards to 100 people and 10k+ in food and keep a 1000 wood on hand consistently so far. Couple things I've read in tips are to drop a Storage barn and a small storage yard in with your Hunter/Gather/Forester hubs. This gets goods into inventory quickly rather than having to be carried cross country to central storage areas. Gatherers are the most efficient food source overall. I was able to pump a ton of food with two Hunters, two Gatherers and two Fisheries long before I started farming.

On another note; ignore any deer and such you see running around. They are just graphics. They are not the food source that Hunters go for. From what I understand, Hunters gather venison and leather from invisible animals in a forested area.

12. GraniteRok

Officer
    Arg!!!! Had a great booming city going, 250 people and growing, insane amounts of food and wood, had at least one of every building available, and surplus goods to export... Getting achievement after achievement then... I didn't watch my tools stock, it ran low then everyone needed tools... The city collapsed, lost 75% of it's population to starvation because they didn't have to tools to collect. Guess you'd call it an unrecoverable flatspin and had to punch out! ;)

Watch your tool inventory! Instant city death if you run out or low.

13. Tbeast

Officer
    I had almost 100 and forgot tailor and winter slammed me. :/

14. Hamma

Officer
    Doh! Funny how that stuff doesn't affect you early on people run around without jackets haha

15. I hate Steam... fortunately you don't have to get it from there, as there is a PayPal page on the website [link]. I think my only caveat as there isn't a multiplayer component.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2014
  16. Hamma

Officer
    Hah -- interesting connection to DayZ

The creator of DayZ

17. Hamma

Officer
    So I found that starting on hard I was actually more successful because I didn't fall into the trap of having a bunch of crops early on. Also, mines and quarries suck ass.

18. GraniteRok

Officer
    I'll have to try the hard, haven't gone near that yet. I've been getting some good success on medium but with a small map, population hitting 300 and good resource supply, at least until my iron runs out.. either surface or mines. And yes, mines and quarries do suck! Insane people sinks plus with the quarry once done, leaves an unbuildable scar.

19. Tbeast

Officer
    I've lost more people getting crushed by rocks in those damn quarries

20. GraniteRok

Officer
    Ha! I actually had someone die from other than starvation, cold, old age or crushed by rock! ... Heart attack! It actually said that. Guess I'm overworking these poor peasants! ;)