1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Blind Mortor Spam solution??

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Marsman, 5 Aug 2002.

1. As many of us have said, long distance blind mortor spam is a tactic that ruins the game. It's a skillless tactic that seriously distracts from the intent of the game, imho. Sitting here this morning an idea came to me that would easily and completely eliminate this practice.

The spinfusor currently has a slight amount of "disc spread" which causes the projectile to skew randomly off the intended aiming point. The greater the distance, the more this effect occurs. Since the spinfusor is really a precision weapon, this is being patched out so the disc will accurately and consistently fly towards the aiming point without "drift".

Why not apply this "drift" principle to the MORTOR!!!!

The mortor, with a 25 meter splash damage, is not what I would consider a "precision" weapon - the projectile bouces if it hits something before it's detination timer expires anyway - no reason for it to be "precise" in it's aiming, but it is.

If the mortor had a slight amount of random "drift", like the spinfusor projectile, this would totally elimiate precision blind mortor spam!! You should not be able to consistently put shot after shot into a precise spot from 400 meters out, which you currently can do. The drift should be enough to foil such tactics causing the projectile to randomly drift. You might hit a target from 400 meter once in a while, but not perfectly shot after shot as you can do now.

This shouldn't affect the "normal" use of the mortor as the drift wouldn't be great enough at shorter distances to affect accuracy (how accurate do you need to be with a mortor anyway??) but near maximum range, consistant precision shots would be impossible! This would render all the blind spam scripts useless and bring the game back to the way it was intended. :D

Last edited: 5 Aug 2002
  2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    this idea is win

3. good call mars. :)

4. disc drift is a bug

5. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

OMG!!!

Marsman, you have with a precision unknown to normal men, solved a serious in-game problem and made the game more realistic in one fell swoop!

SOMEONE MAKE THIS KNOWN TO THE PATCHING POWERS THAT BE!

Marsman, I can't thank you enough for just taking the time to come up with this idea, bro... man... too cool.

6. Think of it in terms of modern day Artillery. How accurate can they be with that?

7. btw: HEY, LET'S IMPARE HEAVIES MORE?!?! THEY'RE ALREADY
    SLOW
    WEAK
    HARD TO MANOUVER
    CAN BE KILLED W/ 1 SHOT
    did i mention slow

why not just take the armor out of the game since all you people dislike it so much

8. Manitou

A properly run HO is one of the deadliest weapons out there. This doesn't limit it in any way. It takes away the ridiculous accuracy for blind spam.

9. another thing, you need to be real accurate with the mortar, why?
    because of small ass turrets set on un even hill + the unability to stick mortar to the ground like in t1. same thing with base turrets on tiny platforms, you need to nail 4 mortars dead on to even disable the thing. Doing this would ruin the game for a lot of people.
    [01:43] <@RivetGirl> also explain to them the fact that a MORTAR is a PRECISION WEAPON, just in case they've never seen a world war 2 movie

Last edited: 5 Aug 2002
  10. [01:42] <@RivetGirl> explain to draconus lupus that being able to hit things accurately with a mortar from far away while skiing is a skill that take hours of practice to develop
    [01:42] <@RivetGirl> and people who can successfully pull it off should be worshipped, not patched out

11. Manitou

Ummm, and when did this RivetGirl become an authority on mortars? I have always respected skill and talent. What I don't respect is someone standing an insane distance OOB and spamming any spot on the map by pointing at preselected spots cross-haired in the sky.

RivetGirl may have l33t skillz in mortars, but if she does, why use a spam script? Doesn't that detract from her ability?

I have been around real life mortars. It usually takes a few to get squared on the target, and even then, they are affected by such mundane things like wind, temperature, and even the condition of the tail fins. True, this isn't real life in the game, but the ability for any n00b to pick up the mortar and be dead accurate from the start is silly.

Just some thoughts. :p

12. I disagree Ros - the new patch reduces the detination time from 2 secs to 1.5 - this should make it easier to take out the spikes and clamps as the mortor should explode on contact unless you are quite close - plus with a 25 meter splash area, you really don't need to land on the spike or clamp to destroy it. Same with base turrets. The slight drift wouldn't affect shots significantly if you are within visual range. I'm only suggesting that the absolute precision be elimated with respect to long (300-400 meter) blind spam. This shouldn't affect "normal" game play significantly and shouldn't adversely affect a HO's performace or their ability to take out targets.

13. Just like 400m OOB Blind Mortar Spam has ruined the game for A Lot of OTHER people.

This idea is not trying to remove the HO as an effective Mobile Killing Machine. It's trying to remove the Gay Ass Spam that has ruined the game for most of the Defence players in the game.

You want Accurate Blind Mortar spam? Then make it so that the HO has to be in Position and IMMOBILE for like 3 - 5 seconds while his armor "Prepares Itself" for maximum accuracy. (Think of it like the armor is anchoring itself to the ground so that it will not be affected by the recoil, etc.) Once the armor is Immobile for a certain amount of time, then he can do his pinpoint accuracy.

BUT this comes at the price of you also take just as long to "un-Anchor" yourself. So if someone comes up on you .. it's gonna take u 3-5 seconds to get mobile again.

You want to be moving while shooting? Then you're gonna get Spread AT EXTREME DISTANCES. The spread should not affect a mortar shot of, say, 100m or so, the typical shot placed at a deployable.

14. "while skiing" and "hours of practice" are the 2 keys here. If you are skiing, you are not doing precision shots. Yes accurate mortor shots in motion "should" take hours of practice and I have the utmost respect for HO's who can do this well. This is in no way what I am talking about. There is just as much "slight drift" to an HO's shot while skiing as to what I am proposing. A skiing HO is not going to be able to put a mortor through a 3 foot window shot after shot from 300 meter out. All I am saying is a stationary HO with a spam script on his first day with the game should not be able to either. Right now they can - and this is wrong, imho.

15. who did it ruin it for? turret monkies?

16. I have so many problems with this post, I don't even know where to start.

Slow - OK, slow to start would be more accurate and that's if you happen to just want to walk to your target. Any somewhat skilled HO is anything but slow and Hos can actually ski faster than lights some of the time.

Weak - Hmmm...Let's see, it takes about 5-6 dead-on discs to kill a HO. If you get hit 5-6 times in the face in a duel you deserve to be respawning. I HO about 75% of my pub playing time and I can spend 20 minutes at a time behind the enemy base just dueling lights that come at me.

Hard to maneuver - This one, I think you were talking about the same thing as slow. Heavies "maneuver" just fine. Your mouse sensitivity doesn't drag just because you're in heavy armor.

Can be killed with one shot - Only with one weapon and only if the HO is not paying attention which, once again, is deserving of death. Do you realize how long you have to be facing straight forward to have a lancer take you in the back? Generally, they have to take about a 50 meter approach, at least. I get lanced in the back with no warning probably once every 4-5 maps of pure HOing.

In short, heavy armor is not weak, people don't know how to use it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the point at hand. This is a great idea Mars, however, I do have one problem with it. I have been slaughtering with the mortar at long ranges lately and that's without a script. Just last night, I had a 350 meter capper kill at an angle while skiing. Now, I know I wouldn't be able to do this often and on purpose. My question is, exactly how "off" would it be? Would I have missed that shot by 50 meters or 150 meters?

17. Ever tried to HoF against a team that has 3 people doing OOB spamming from 3 different directions? All the while they have no threat of getting attacked because they are so far out of bounds it would leave the flag undefended to send someone to get them.

And as a "Turret Monkey" as you call it... Yes it does make my job very difficult. You should remember .. it is these "Turret Monkies" that keep your flag at home when you illustrious "Offensive" players decide to try to cap the flag.

18. you are doing precision shots while skiiing because if you stand still you get kill with one shot by and electricfied double headed dildo

<Da_Timsta> i hate all the motherfuckers on server who think they are som rockstar with the shocklance

If there is a slight drift the mortar wouldn't hit the base turret because of the projectile size and no one can directly hit a turret dead center

and OOB spam: let's take beggars run. You get your loadout, walk 300 M OOB, then try to ski adjacent to the enemy base. of couse with the fog it's hard to see, which brings us to the next point. To actually blind mortar spam you eather need A: a beacon where you want to hit B: another person with a t-laser or C: practicing the map to see where you have to shoot in the sky to actually hit what you want to hit. It's not just chucking mortars wherever and hitting stuff, you need to know the arch of the mortar along with how far it will travel.

19. if turrets keep the flag at home, that's very sad. It used to be LD

20. Yea and remove the sniper rifle so that people wont
    1) Zen snipe cappers using flag finder. THE MOST POPULAR SCRIPT IN T1! SO POPULAR PEOPLE GOT BANNED FROM THE LADDERS FOR USING IT!

2) OOB O Snipe which is 100% gayer than any mortar spam. You obviously dont have a dam nclue what mortar spam is. Go play a map of SB on Heaven or Hell. Then, and only THEN can you come to me and whine about mortar spam.

Make the "laser" rifle drife the farther it goes so it will stop OOB O Zen snipers