1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Can RIAA nab you through torrents?

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by DonkeySmiler, 13 Jun 2006.

1. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

My "friend" wanted to know if the RIAA has gone after people who have downloaded music through a torrent site? I know, er he knows that people have been found through file sharing such as kazaa :D :eek:

p.s. And yes my "friend" is a damn thief! but he ends up buying the stuff he likes.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2006
  2. Your "friend" is evil.

3. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

His "friend" is probably a gnome.

4. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

Never! Gnomes don't listen to music, their tiny ears cannot process the complexities of music :D

5. Technically, yes, it is physically possible for them to track you downloading a torrent.

They would have to seed the file, and you would have to utilize them as a source for one of the pieces.

Once you connect to them, they can get your IP Address and then follow the whole, "get a search warrant for the ISP's logs and find out who you are" thing.

Not sure if this would constitute Entrapment, or if you can get busted for having getting just a single slice of the file, since they are usually useless without all the pieces.

6. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

If said "friend" does actually buy after downloading, then hopefully they will track himher down. Then when they say "You downloaded stuff illegally", they can say "Yea, but then I bought the stuff..here is what I bought" and then sue THEM for harrassement.

There is one thing of downloading stuff just because you are a thief, but if you want to hear something, then actually buy the album or what have you, that is different.

I've downloaded stuff, then went out and bought the album....would love to have them come at me. Or I have already had the albums, was just to lazy to rip it off a cd for the pc.

Would be fun though..."I illegally downloaded a song....and I liked it...then I went out and legally bought the album......Illegal actions lead to Legal actions...we shouldn't do that...won't happen again, dumb ass".

I don't have a problem with it, because there is nothing I can really do. I personally think that getting all kinds of songs for free is stealing, as we don't get to record for free, and what we do to get the stuff out isn't free.

But I sell one cd, and it can be burnt who knows how many times.

The only thing I can do is say that you can do what you want...but think about the artist...they don't have the opportunity of taking a few bucks from your bank account. We don't make music for free...it cost's not only lot's of personal time, but lot's of actual money.

At $7.00 we will make up for what we paid for studio time after selling around 200+ cd's. And that is breaking even, for studio time alone, not to mention getting the covers and the cd printed, and the copyright fee. (Just for those taking score...we have sold about 15....given out more than that, because we are cool that way).

Yes, we copyright everything....remember that!!

So download what you want...and when a cd you want cost's $50.00 someday...you'll know why!

7. Tell him to download peerguardian its blocks p2p companies and such... I use it all the time just make sure to turn off html blocking.

8. There is a dangerous presidence they are attempting to work towards reguarding "fair use" with reguard to owning a legit copy of a cd. What they are leaning towards is making it illegal to even rip and move that music to another format for use in another device. They would ultimate like to restrict you to only being able to listen to that song by playing the cd on a cd player (in which they control the hardware that decodes it) and have no rights to extract, move, or play on any other device.

This is a deadly trend and the EFF is fighting this tooth and nail at every oppertunity. So far, "fair use" is holding up legally but the industry continues to makes attempts in this direction with all media: music, movies, etc... Be sure to keep an eye out for this and be sure to let your government reps know how you feel about it. I'm all for artists getting paid, but if I buy something, I expect to be able to use that product in any format on any device I so choose. :mad:

9. Bottom line here -
    Yes. You can get nabbed, and in some cases its actually easier than what Arg described. I've seen it happen & I've made reports to the FBI to nab certian individuals (No....not regarding music. This was some pretty heavy-weight security related stuff.). And yes, men in suits showed up at that person's doorstep. ;)

As for your friend...(shrugs) Tell him to be cautions and fly below the radar. Don't make it worth their time & effort to make him a target. GFI LanGuard has a demo out that will help you see how "secure" you may or may not be.

~PM~

10. GO to this site I have found it to be one of the most informative ones around regarding the new era on DCMA. And the proper way to get filez :) thru your local NG.

Check out there forums
    http://www.slyck.com

11. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Eventually a cd will be $200+ or more, so that the artist can make some money..
    You put out a "want to buy" for a certain cd..whoever wants it sends some money, then it is purchased, then distributed to those people.

Like I said, we sell a cd, then you burn it, we have no control. But good grief, we take the time to do this, and spend our own money to make it happen, then someone becomes a distributer of ours that we have no clue about...hell you could be selling it. We made 3 dollars...you are making 5+ for every burnt cd.

It can come down to "Well, we need to sell cd's at this huge amount, because otherwise we won't make any money".

But then I'm just a band member..what say do I have? Do what you want to stick it to the big corporations...because you know, ripping those songs hurts them the most. The big corporations will feel it....and they will bow down eventually.

Yep.

12. I know how you feel Chuck. I understand and applaud your crusade.
    Yes, its frustrating to see the work you do become pirated. Its a fine line creators walk = especially those with limited funds that wish to remain competitive in the industry. I know people that pirate software and/or music on a regular basis, yet complain when *their* work is placed on a warez site.
    The corollary is true as well - I also know of pirates that will HACK a game, and if they like it they not only purchase the game, they recommend it.
    Does that make it correct? Of course not.

Stealing is against the law.
    ("Thou shalt not steal" means..."thou shalt not steal")
    Taking something without proper permission, and deciding whether or not to pay the proper properties later is against the law.
    There are many of us here in -CDL- that deal with IP's, and many of us work hard at being honorable and ethical in our professional as well as personal lives.

Please note that I'm not suggesting/accusing any members of -CDL- (or friends of -CDL-) into either of these categories.

I guess...
    I guess, I just wanted it know that we people, are in general a walking dichotomy. ;)

~PM~

PS = On a related note, Oed and I use signatures from a game we did, and not only did I ask permission first, I sent the finished products to them for review.

13. FTP :D Back in the dayz

14. /rant on

I download what i want because im not going to pay $14 for a CD and $20+ for a DVD. And if i Download using itunes or whatever im so restricted on what or how i can listen to the song that it makes it not worth it. Not to mention the RIAA begs for me to hate them http://techdirt.com/articles/20060614/1837225.shtml

For small bands that i see in concert i will usually buy their CD for 5 bucks or whatever but alot of the music i listen to i have no ability to actually buy it.

Games i download becasue they mostly suck and when i find one i like i go and buy it. Movies I usually watch once and thats it and go to the movies enough which is like $20 now so...

I just dont how people can say its stealing. Becasue stealing something means the person who had it stolen from cant use it anymore. Sorry im not costing the music/movie industry any money by downloading stuff becasue i probably woundnt have bought it in the first place...

/rant off

Last edited: 16 Jun 2006
  15. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

"I just dont how people can say its stealing. Becasue stealing something means the person who had it stolen from cant use it anymore. Sorry im not costing the music/movie industry any money by downloading stuff becasue i probably woundnt have bought it in the first place..."

So, my band can record any other bands songs, and sell it, because they can still play their songs too?

If a band comes up with a hit tune, then it it is fair game for anyone to say "Hey, check it out, we do that song too...pay us for it and not them....even though they thought of it."?

Give me some painters tools...I'm going to paint me some Mona Lisa's and other classical art. And it will be original, as noone paints like me. The idea has nothing to do with it, apparently.

If original material is allowed to be used by anyone and made a profit from by anyone, why make any thing original? This kinda sounds like Communism.

So the music industry isn't losing any money. People download something, like it and figure.."Might as well download more stuff...better than buying it." Everyone wants free stuff. If it's made to be free, who would buy it? If it's made illegal to be free, then some law abiding citizens will buy it. And that's all we can hope for.

The problem is, some people don't rip stuff off just so they can have it themselves...they turn around and sell it. So they are making money off something they didn't buy, and off of someone elses hard work.

If everyone was honest, then things would be cool. But, dag nabbit, most people are di*ks, so laws have to be in place.

I don't mind someone downloading something to see if they will like it....but there are people out there who download whatever they can to have "the best site for file downloading" or for sale.

If I ever found a site that had all of our songs up for free downloads, I'd be pissed, and we WOULD take action.

If we found another band playing our songs, they would be sued, as all of our material is copywrited.

Our cd cost us, personally (as we financed it) probably $700 or more, just for the recordings and the cover and disc layout, not to mention the actual printing. Why should someone be able to give us $10.00 and then post it on the net so anyone can download it for free? Or possibly charge people?

Is that really fair? Who is losing money? Perhaps you wouldn't buy it...but hey, it's free, why not download it. Then a friend says "Wow I like that...where can I buy it?"...you say "No need to buy it, just go here and download it for free, or I'll burn you a copy...that I got for free".

16. I agree with you on people making a profit of your music because then you are losing money becasue the people they are selling it too would have obviusly(sp?) you too. Thats the people they should be going after the people trying to make a profit of other peoples work. I have never sold a CD of burned songs in my life and i bet most "pirates" out there are the same.

What im saying i would think is exspecially true for you and other small bands becasue I dont know(assuming) but your prolly dont make most of your income from the band and you prolly arnt that big out side of your local area. The only way for you to get bigger is for more people to hear your music.

Theres only really 3 ways in my mind,
    1.Going on tour with a bigger band
    still only reaching the people that you see and some of their friends.
    2.Signing a contract as an unknown and getting your stuff on the radio
    Kind of unlikely but it could happen.
    3.Sharing your stuff on the internet.
    This is simply the best way because it cost you no money and you still have a copyright on your stuff so no one other that some local bands maybe can go ahead and play your stuff. Plus your music reaches the entire world. I visit torrent forums where all the community does is release local bands and such. They usually say the get the permission of the band to do so but i dont know if thats true or not.

I cant see a real reason for not releasing you songs on the internet for people to listen to.

17. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

What well known band releases on the internet?

You have to think of how the people will think "they used to be free on the 'net, now they are charging". Diehards will accept that change, but others won't.

Charging straight out is the only way to go.

We do have music on the internet, at our myspace site, for now....we are working on our actual site.

But at our myspace site you can hear a couple songs, and now a medley.

On my myspace site you can hear 4 of our older songs.

Even coming to a show you aren't going to hear us for free...you gotta pay to get in. So why should we just hand out what cost us all that money and time? Yes, we have handed out some cd's, but most are to production companies.

18. Well known bands dont release on the internet that doesnt mean they didnt start there. OAR, Dave Matthews, Fallout Boy just off the top of my head are all bands that got "known" becasue they shared their music online.

Are you losing money if someone in California downloads your songs and listens to them, likes them and shares them with his friend and maybe a song gets in the hands of a music guy or something?

Now no i dont think that me downloading Blink 182 is going to help them get more popular but i also wouldnt spend money to buy their CDs. I would buy songs at somewhere around $.30 to $.50 but not a dollar a song. The music industry is making it harder for people to get songs not easier. They are trying to scare people and scare forign governments(Sweden Piratesbay.org) to stop people. Its not going to work.

I love music and respect artist I dont respect the corperatization(sp?) of music.

BTW if you want another site to put your music on check purevolume.

19. I just say use Easynew ftw :) 10 bucks a month and tons of music

20. What is easynew?