1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Canada's leaking submarines

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Fox, 11 Mar 2002.

1. Slight Problem with New Submarine - It Leaks
    OTTAWA (LifeLine News) - Canada's decision to buy four cut-price submarines from Britain looked a little soggy after one of the vessels sprang two leaks on its very first training exercise.

Commander Bill Woodburn, in charge of Canada's submarines, insisted on Thursday that HMCS Windsor had been in no danger during Monday's exercise.

But the problem was a further embarrassment for a purchase that is becoming a public relations nightmare.

The Windsor is one of four mothballed diesel-powered submarines that Canada bought from Britain in 1998 for C$750 million ($475 million) and then started to refit.

Shortly after the Windsor's exercise began, water leaked into a hydraulic system used to operate a snorkel mast that lets fresh air into the boat. The commander decided to return to port to fix the problem.

"The submarine was not in any danger," Woodburn told a news conference in the eastern port of Halifax. To round off a bad day, someone then flipped the wrong switch and let 530 gallons of seawater into a sealed battery compartment. Media reports said sailors had to use yogurt containers and sleeping bags to clear up the mess.

Defense Minister Art Eggleton -- under fire for not securing more money for the cash-strapped armed forces -- last month called the submarines a bargain, even though the first craft to arrive has been in dry dock for the past 18 months.

When the Windsor made its way to Canada last year, the defense ministry allowed a team from public broadcaster CBC television along for what turned out to be an eventful ride.

For a start, the submarine leaked hydraulic fluid throughout the journey. The radar mast leaked and had to be fixed with masking tape and a garbage bag, the sonar broke and another faulty piece of equipment had to be unjammed with a hockey stick.

2. Great Dane

Great Dane <B><FONT COLOR="RED">THE LEGENDARY BANNED</FONT></

This is the reason we make fun of Canada.

3. One of the other numerous reasons people make fun of Canada because their army is smaller than the NYPD. At least it's better than New Jersey.

4. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    They have an army/navy??

5. Great Dane

If you call 4 aniquated Subs that leak a navy then I guess the answer is yes.

6. Hamma

Officer
    :rofl:

7. Great Dane

I once read a funny article about how Canada was researching a "Combat Bra" for female soilders. The writer of the article wasn't exactly sure what the purpose of the "Combat Bra" was, but he was certian it was a threat to our national security and urged that we invade Canada now in a premtive strike.

It was a great article. I wish I still had the link.

8. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

hahaha hamma got a truck born in Canada I wonder if it will start to break down.

9. Great Dane

Well if it leaks we at least know the Canadian Warenty will cover Masking Tape and a Garbage bag to fix the problem.

10. Hamma

Officer
    alright thats it. im banning everyone :D

11. Can I stay?

:hamma::gayzhump:

12. Great Dane

ono, I've been banned :eek:

13. Combat bra = Kevlar bikinni's

Cause you know Canada is known for their bikinni weather.

14. l33t

glad to see good ol art is botching shit up again.

He should just go ahead and research new subs instead of fucking buying pos subs from other countries.

We would've had a very powerful airforce if they hadn't of cancelled the avro arrow.

Stupid canadian idiots in government.

15. Great Dane

I think we still have a few Bi-planes from WW1 laying around. You still might get an air force.

16. Hamma

Officer
    There is one guy in charge?

Oxymoron.

17. :stupid:

Its not an oxymoron its repetative.

An oxymoron is something like "Military Intelligence"

Sometimes I wish I know who to spell, but most of the time i just dont give a shit :D

18. Hamma

Officer
    Candian Idiots

k, fine its just a statement. Everyone here is an english teacher ;)

19. someone has to edumacate you.

20. Great Dane

To bad Rayzer doesn't know what he is talking about.

Repetitive is saying things over and over and over, and over, and over.

The statement "Stupid Canadian Idiots" is Redundent because it says the same thing 3 times with 3 diffrent words.