1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Computer Issues

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Mijahu, 18 Jan 2003.

1. Hoping that someone can help me out on this one cause it has me stumped lol.

I have a computer that I built this christmas which I can't seem to get working right. It's an AMD athlon XP using a DFI AD77 motherboard and kiaKT400 chipset. The HDD is Maxtor (forget the model number i'll edit this later hehe).

Right now when I go to install and OS the hdd partitions and formats ok but then during the install of windows system files i get a message that "windows was unable to instal file xxxxx.xxx (different everytime)". After that first file fails to install so will all the rest until I get a blue screen of death. I'm not sure what's causing this or how to get around it.

So far I've tried to install Win2k and WinXP, both have had the same problems. I've tried formating the hdd with the FAT32 fs and installing windows on that, but still had the same problem. I've tried formatting with FAT32 and converting the fs before the Win2k/XP install, same results.

If anyone can give me some advice on what to try next, or better yet how to get around the problem it would be most appreciated :D!

2. This may sound too simple, but have you possibly tried a different cdrom drive? Could be just as easy as the cdrom keeps crapping out trying to read media and therefore is unable to not copy files to the hdd at random.

3. Have you Run the HDD utilities that came with the drive?

~PM~

4. Check yer XP cd and see if it's dirty.

Like Despo said, your CDRom may be bad. Since you have another machine, you can try formatting the drive Fat32, and copying over the i386 directory off of your XP Cd and then running the Setup program (which is not called setup :) it's called winnt.exe) after you boot from a boot disk.

Not sure which version of the AD77 you have. If it's the Infinity with the Red RAID connector, and you are plugging it into that RAID connector, make sure you are hitting the F6 key during XP setup to load the RAID drivers.

It might be helpful if you could tell us exactly which BSOD you are getting during setup. If you want to check for yourself, <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=GN&ln=EN-US&FR=1" target=_New>go here</a> to look it up.

5. my brother had a smiliar problem. it was a bad hard drive. not saying its the same thing in your case, but try a different hd if you have one.

6. just pee on it.

7. I just encountered this problem in my A+ class. The CD-ROM drivers arent getting installed so it can't read the .cab files of the cd.

8. Well know what we know the problem, how do you fix it? Or don't they teach you that? :p

9. will basicly do a low level format, use a win 98 book disk and it will install generic cd-rom drivers, create the partitions with that and then start the install.