1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Computer Problems

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by American Psycho, 7 Sep 2006.

1. Yo....

My computer keeps resetting.
    It gets past windows login, to where i see the background, but then it resets.
    A blue screen appears and It gives me an error about new hardware/software installed, but I have'nt installed anything new in a couple of weeks.

I can get into safe mode fine. Nothing seems to be over heating.

I woke up one morning and It was resetting.

?

What info would u need to help diagnose this...

2. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

What kind of machine is it? Is it a store bought (HP, Dell, Gateway....).

I've just recently seen this error on an HP Pavilion. They have a few ways to try to fix it on their site.

3. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Go into safe mode and bring up your event viewer. Should be in the administration panel. Look for any stop sign tagged lines.

4. The Event Viewer shows an error with
    Source: sfsync02
    EventID: 12

It says It cannot be found. It might be missing registry info or message dll files to display from a remote comp. /AUXSOURCE = flag might retrieve this info
    ?

hehe

When i look up the stop error
    STOP:0x000000F4
    it says something about the SATA configuration being bad

Could the hard drive be going bad?
    Like I said I haven't done anything to it in a while.

5. wish i could help, im not much of a software cruncher.

6. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

7. symen

symen DragonWolf

Yeah, I ran into StarForce with a Sierra game that someone gave me. It rendered my DVD-ROM and CDRW drives inaccessible, so I never did get to play it, because it of course had a CD check too. This removal tool fixed it for me.

I don't mind anti-copying technologies, as long as they don't cause other problems, but I *hate* CD checks -- if I have to dig out a CD before I can play a game, I'm probably going to play something else instead. :mad:

8. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

Who remembers Psygnosis games?

We used to get the cracked versions because buying was a crap shoot on whether you could actually run the game or not.

Which lead to this classic gem:

Psygnosis - Latin for "lucky to load"

9. With the owl right?

10. :mad:
    heh

Friggin' Starforce

I uninstalled the game, and ran the starforce remover.
    It left the registry entries, so I deleted them.

Restarted my comp, and It still resets.

Now the Event Viewer gives me a DCOM error
    "This service cannot be started in safe mode" attempting to start the EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {string of numbers}

Oh well...

The hd is sata, but i'm only using 1 hd. If I get a bigger hd, will i be able to connect them to get the data off the old one?
    U need to have 2 of the same size hds for sata to work though, right?

:mad:

11. If you think your drive is dying, and it's Western Digital, try out their diagnostic tool. SATA is just the newer interface from the old IDE, for RAID you need 2 drives of the same size, but in general a new SATA drive is just plug and go.

Also, while you're in safe mode, disable automatic restart so you can see the error message and maybe see a different stop code.

12. The hardrive is a seagate.

And the stop code is still the same.

If theres a way to get the info off the old drive, i won't mind reinstalling windows (just have to waste a day hehe)

13. I've never personally had it work, but it has worked a few times with customers, a Windows Repair. Boot from your windows CD and go into the Recovery Console (not the automatic repair) and do a chkdsk /r /p

The 000000F4 stop code means some system critical process isn't starting up like it should in Windows.

DCOM usually involves your network, try uninstalling any ethernet drivers or networking type software as well?

All good harddrive manufacturers have some sort of diagnostic tool as well, check out seagate's: http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html

Last edited: 9 Sep 2006
  14. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

If safe mode is running but regular isn't then it isn't the hard ware.

Hard ware problems generally don't care what you are doing.

With the caveat that files on dinged places on a hard drive or upper memory problems. Then you will have a problem everytime you load a certain file OR when a really big file loads and hits a bad memory area.

Here is how I troubleshoot memory. Pull all your memory but one stick. Boot. if there is still a problem, replace the one stick with one of the removed ones.

Oh and as I always suggest, check your fans. Those going bad can cause all kinds of weird issues due to heat.

15. I think his mask of sanity is about to Slipppppppppppppp :rawr: