1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Destroyer!

Discussion in 'Star Citizen Public Discussion' started by StickMan9000, 21 Feb 2014.

1. And an ass to match.

[​IMG]

And don't forget, this thing will be modular:

2. Not sure I like the front half but that rear end is awe inspiring.

3. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Is that one we can build/buy or have to find and hold?

That looks sweet..

4. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Pretty cool looking. :D

5. To an extent, the Javelin looks a lot like a Battlestar without the side-launch fighterbays.

As for modular configurations; given it's supposed to be a fighter/bomber carrier, this could mean the ship's overall length is longer or shorter depending on what it is outfitted for. Of course, since I've donated my ideas about the Treadmill for NGS to the studio, this could also make it the second of two modular vessels for the game universe.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2014
  6. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    It actually reminds me a LOT of a Caldari destroyer from EVE

7. It's currently about 100m larger than the Idris. This would put it at around 350m.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2013173/#Comment_2013173

8. There was also a question on Wingman's Hanger #58 this week that discussed the "Spider" Mining Platform, with the gist being an Idris can't transport them; until we know all the exact dimensions of the Javelin, however, it could be that it can't transport it either, and may instead require a specially-desgined ship for that purpose.

Another issue is the way a Spider manoeuvres, with the video (for now) suggesting it is ejected from a cargo hold. This could mean getting it back aboard may require either a crane/lift mechanism, or that a vessel needs to land on the surface, in order for it to board via a sideways cargo hatch.

9. They could also be carried from the spider and deployed from the "mother ship" perhaps? I mean, doesn't that make sense?

10. Ok I really didn't understand that post, Scrub.

I think, in terms of relative mass, the Spider is probably bigger than the Idris, but the way it stores ore could either be as small, puverised chppings like in SimCity, or perhaps molten to ensure better refining later on. I doubt the Spider would have a cargo bay similar to any ship in the game.

11. sorry, let me try to clarify. I was at work when I tried to post that. I guess my question is why people are getting the assumption that anything BUT the spider was going to carry these mining craft. Now I know there will be size variation and all that, but one would tend to believe that if you have mining droids or whatever they call these, and giving the initial size we have seen of both the craft and spider miner, where else would these come from?

Now I know we are assuming a lot of things here, and we all know what happens when you assume things. If the destroyer is only going to be 100m longer than the idris, One would tend to think due to the nature of said craft, it still should not house these mining "eggs" if you will. Ships that will carry this will IMO be a strictly non combat role, a more supportive role.

12. They were designed for this:

[​IMG]

This will be part of Squadron 42. We will probably not be able to own something like this, but I imagine that there will be mining capitol ships or specialized mining bases where we can rent/lease/own one of these spider mining droids to farm the connected asteroids. A mining capitol ship makes more sense where it could house 2-6 of the droids, if we are even allowed to own them. The RSI mining ship will probably act similar to one of these spider droids, but on a much smaller scale:
    • RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

[​IMG]

13. The real issue is people believe there will be a "mining craft", and then a Spider separately... I think the Spider IS the mining craft; it just is more akin to a Vital Suit from Lost Planet games that you can either pilot yourself, or let it mine a pre-defined area of terrain chosen whilst on your ship. It is also possible this mining output owns these, and then an independent, smaller version is sold to citizens to carry on their ships.

As for the Orion, I agree with Nacht that it is likely to be like a Bengal Carrier and boarding actions perhaps use a ticketing system for both sides, so people can respawn until they run out of tickets for both capturing and defending, with similar rules in space combat where there's the possibility a "death" might result in permadeath.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2014
  14. I think you misunderstood. The pictures I linked are of the Shibun Mining Base, a part of Squadron 42. The "Spider" mining droids were developed to coincide with the missions revolving around this Shibun Mining Base.

The RSI Orion was one of the stretch goal ships that were picked by the players. The Orion is not the Spider droid. The descriptions are far too dissimilar. The Orion does not sound like a large ship. I doubt it will be larger than a Starfarer.

The spider droids will be part of large mining bases or perhaps mining capitol ships. We do not know if we will be able to own one of the spider droids, or if there will even be mining capitol ships (that was pure speculation on my part based on the assumption of owning a droid). The droids appear to be AI driven with a cab that you can enter into (if I remember correctly). It is entirely possible that we may never be able to own own of these droids.

[​IMG]

The Shibun Mining Base is more of a space station for mining asteroids, pulling them in closer to the station for the spider droids to deploy, mine, and go back to the station. The Orion will be a ship we can pilot and mine simple asteroids out in space, without the need of these gargantuan mining robots.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13585-Gallery-Squadron-42-Concept-Art