1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

For all the network guru's around here...

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Fox, 2 Mar 2002.

1. Got a bit of a problem over here...it's quite and odd one to.

OK...I have a Linksys Cable/DSL Wireless router, and a cable modem. My desktop computer is sending information through the wireless connection [I switched to the wirelesss after the hard-wire didn't work], but it is not receiving data. The link is fine, the signal strength is fine, but I can't get on the internet.

What makes this really odd is that both my laptop and my sister's desktop [in another room] are able to connect wirelessly to the internet. My desktop has both a wireless and a hard-wired ethernet connection, and I've tried both, switching between the two, calling my ISP [Comcast...], and generally messing with my computer.

At the moment I have ripped out the hard-wire ethernet card, since I bought it for 14 bucks, it was on sale and it's probably busted. What I don't get though is the wireless connection in my computer, which should be perfectly fine [I'm going on the fact that my sister has the exact same card as I do, and she's further away from the wireless router then I am.]

So...any help out there?

One last thing: When I run ipconfig, I don't have a connection to my router from the wireless card...so I'm guessing that either A) the wireless card is busted, or b) Some setting on my computer is borking the connection.

2. Hmmm…
    Actually I don’t mess w/IR and am no longer in tech-sup, so I’m just guessing….

Swap out the cards between yours and your sisters machines. If her machine works with your card and yours does not = your machine is the prob, not the card. If your machine works and hers does not = it’s the card.

If it’s ‘your machine’ and not the card, there are a LOT of options try (over the years I have learned that computers is not a logical science). Here is a very ‘abridged’ version. Assuming that you’ve re-installed the drivers,
    1. In DOS type the command (sans quotes) “ping 127.0.01” then hit [Enter]. If you get a message “Request timed out” your PC doesn’t see your NIC.
    2. Right click on the “Network Neighborhood” icon between your PC and your sisters and compare them (try to be as exact as possible – you’re prolly running DHCP on both anyway…) (re-try connection)
    2. Check the BIOS settings. You may need to enable the IR. (re-try connection)
    3. Boot to SAFE mode; go into Device Manager; remove the device (and ALL EXACTLY duplicated items that are NOT under “System Devices”). Reboot, re-install drivers & reboot (retry connection)

If that doesn’t work install fiber-optic. ;)

Good luck~!

~PM~
    "WHAT GOOD THIS DEAFNESS
    THAT MY WHOLE LIFE I HAVE DREAD
    WHAT GOOD THIS DEAFNESS
    WITH THESE VOICES IN MY HEAD"

3. Well, I went out and traded in my wireless lan card for a netgear 10/100, and have plugged that into the router, and still no luck :(

At this point it is most likely some crazy setting on my desktop computer, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. It could be that the router's switch is dead, because I can use wireless just fine....

Edit:

Went in and did some work on my desktop, checking out settings and such, ran an ipconfig command, and found that I didn't have a connection to my router :/ [none of this would have happened if I hadn't been nice enough to let my sister onto the network :(]...so I'm going to restart my computer / the router and see if that helps me any.

Oh and PM, nice quote from Beethoven's Last Night :D

Edit Two:

I did an ipconfig after restarting my desktop and came up with this:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Wireless:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : foxden
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Obviously this means that my computer is connected to my router, but I still can't send / receive data from it!

At this point I'm seriously thinking of just returning the router and getting a new one, unless someone here can figure this out.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2002
  4. Question -
    Can you 'PING' your sisters machine...?
    Can you ping an external ip address??

and thanx - I LOVE that CD.... :D

~PM~

"WHAT GOOD THIS DEAFNESS
    IF THIS PRATTLE I MUST HEAR
    IF I WERE BLIND I'M SURE THEY WOULDN'T DISAPPEAR"

5. No I can't, I get an error code 65...and I have no idea what that is [this is when I'm pinging my router]

Ever been to one of their concerts?

Edit:

What the hell?! When I run in Safe Mode it works?! What is going on here?!

6. No, dammit. They've only been in town 2x's here (Minneapolis) that I know of and I couldn't go either time :(

Error 65...???
    Hmmm... What's your OS? 98se? ME? We may have to continue this on Monday or something (where I have more resources). And by the by... how are you able to send messages...?

~PM~

"ALL OF YOUR LIFE NOW
    YOU HAVE DENIED
    THERE'D BE A TIME
    WHEN YOU'D EVER DIE
    STILL IT'S BEEN RUMORED THIS THING MUST BE"

7. Rofl PM...I'm using my laptop :D

On my desktop I'm running Win2K [I'd rather die then run Win98SE again...]

It appears that when I run my Win2K desktop in safe mode I am able to connect to the internet...but not when I'm running in normal mode.

There is most likely a driver / setting that is being loaded in normal mode that isn't being loaded in Safe Mode...I just need to figure out what that is :|

Oh yeah, I've gone to 2 of their concerts...simply amazing. Think of the bass going straight to your brain.

8. I swear I will never understand computers...

I just rebooted my desktop...and guess what? It works. I don't know how, I don't know why, but it's working, and that's how I like it :D...

Let's just hope it keeps working...

9. Ah yes.... I used to play the bass in a rock-a-billy band~!

Anyway, glad to hear it works~! (PM's first law of computers; Computers is not a logical science~!)
    Here is one link that only confirms what we have learned thus far;
    http://www.computing.net/networking/wwwboard/forum/4596.html
    as for any permanent solution to your prob, you could try TECHNET or some such deal...

~PM~

"Feeling easy on the outside, but not to funny on the inside
    hear the sound and pray for rain 'cause this is the night we ride.
    This ain't the garden of Eden, there ain't no angels above,
    and things ain't what they're supposed to be
    and this ain't the summer of love."

10. Hm. I always had this nagging feeling that it was ZoneAlarm...have to try that out real quick...it would make sense that running in Safe Mode would work because it doesn't load ZoneAlarm...

Edit:

Yup, it was ZoneAlarm. How ironic that something that is supposed to protect you from hackers is doing it's job perfectly <i>by not allowing you onto the internet at all!</i>

11. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

lol well i guess the guys that made it took the easy way out :p

12. Oed

Oed

The best way to protect yourself from hackers is to not have internet access...I gues the software was going a great job (grin).

13. Well, since I have a firewall on my router, I'm pretty safe...not that I've ever been hacked anyway [to my knowledge]

14. 100% <i>guaranteed</i>* to protect your computer from malicious hackers! Protect all of your sensitive documents from network administrators and co-workers! Download ZoneAlarm today for free!

*Note, Zone Labs is not responsible for lost net connectivity.

15. It really pisses me off when computers do what you tell them to not what you want them too......stupid machines!

:D

16. Great Dane

Great Dane <B><FONT COLOR="RED">THE LEGENDARY BANNED</FONT></

<EMBED src="http://home.earthlink.net/~greatdane850/pics/cropped.wav" autostart=true loop=false volume=100 hidden=true><NOEMBED><BGSOUND src="http://home.earthlink.net/~greatdane850/pics/cropped.wav"></NOEMBED>

I think HAL said it best.

17. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    :lol:

18. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

hahahaha the machine is never stupid only the person who is using them.