1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Holy Stupidity Batman!

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Ingwë, 9 Dec 2006.

1. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

2. I don't know.. I see .002 cents as .002 dollars. If you see $5.99 it's 5 dollar and 99 cents.. not 5 point 99 dollars. So, going with that, someone may say .99 cents which would mean 99/100 of a dollar... not 99/100 of a dollar.

However, it probably should say 0.2 cents instead of .002 dollars/cents.

3. Ingwë

This is basic math:

There are 100 cents in a dollar, $0.1 = point one dollars= 10 cents, $0.01 = point zero one dollars = 1 cent, $0.001 = point zero zero one dollars = 0.1 cents = point one cent.
    0.1 cents does not equal 0.001 cents.

If you still don't believe me:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=safari&rls=en&q=.002+cents+to+dollars&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=safari&rls=en&q=.002+dollars+to+dollars&btnG=Search

4. Right, but the problem came up when verizon knew what they actually meant, and the caller had a different idea of what they meant. I understand that .002 cents is .00002 dollars or 2-1000s of a cent... but I could see where .002 dollars or .002 cents could mean the same thing to someone who is used to thinking about something in dollar form. Anything under 1.00 is called cents, which is where the .002 cents rather than dollars came from.

Both sides of that conversation had a lot of willing ignorance going on. The tech support supervisor eventually understood what he meant, but refused to admit it, so he pushed him off to someone higher up the chain to just flat out say no. However, the caller would have had to been a moron to think they charged .00002 dollars per kilobyte. 35000 kilobytes transfered is a fairly large amount of data for a cell phone... that would have taken a large amount of time. I dont see how someone could possibly believe 35000 kilobytes of Over The Air data would be worth 71 cents. To put it in perspective, if you download a cell phone game on verizon with full signal strength (remember, this is what I do =D), it takes about 10-15 seconds for an average game. An average game could be between 150-250 KB of data. His 35k KB of data is 140 times greater than that one game download. And I doubt he was downloading games, although he could have possibly been streaming music from somewhere; but anything else would have transfered data A LOT slower than that 150-250 KB 10 second download.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2006
  5. Ingwë

In a business situation, you have to mean what you say. The guy called up Verizon to see how much it would cost him, they specifically said "point zero zero two cents per KB." Then when he gets the bill, they still say they are charging at that rate, but instead charge him 0.2 cents per KB. I don't see how this caller is being a "moron" when he believes that he is being charged at the rate Verizon told him he was.

Math is not subjective...

6. Yea, they should take that charge off of his account.. he specifically asked the original rep what the rate was and asked a second time to make sure they meant .002 cents. But I don't doubt for a second that he knew something wasn't getting through when it came to the rep's understanding.