1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

I'm going to be a Dad!

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Electrofreak, 25 Feb 2008.

1. Lets be honest... the world probably doesn't need any more Electrofreaks. But it looks like that is about to change...

Yes, it's true. My girlfriend Lynn is pregnant and we're going to be raising a child together. As crazy as it sounds, I'm going to be a father!

The baby isn't due until October or so, so there's plenty of time to prepare, to get my last taste of the college party life before I have to start playing the responsible Dad.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm 24, employed full time at a major alarm service company. I started dating Lynn last April, and I've been living with her in an apartment since May. It's a pretty decent sized apartment (a duplex really) so we'll probably at least begin raising the baby here. We have a roommate that is planning on moving out before the baby is born.

It's not going to be easy but we're more or less ready to take this on.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2008
  2. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    Congrats :)

3. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Grats :D

4. Jennyboo

Jennyboo Public Relations Officer Officer

Officer
    grats :D

5. Om

Om DragonWolf

Congratulations!

I was just thinking the other day to myself, "I think the world can use a lot more electrofreaks!! If only there were some way to replicate them. hmmm...."

Now please forgive me. This is the mom part of me speaking and when she takes over, there's no way to stop her:
    Nice home, baby on the way, stable job....
    Is the mom worthy of marriage? If so, what the heck are you waiting for??? I know there are often good reasons for holding off, but it just seems so right from what you've said and if you have health insurance with your job, she's gonna need that coverage. Babies cost thousands of dollars. Don't you want a discount? :p~

6. Well I work with my girlfriend Lynn, so we both have the same medical insurance and such, so we'll be pretty well covered for the birth and the shots and all that good stuff. As for marriage, well, as committed as Lynn and I are to one another, we don't believe in marriage, at least not after 1 year of being together. There's a lot of reasons behind it, but it's a mutual choice.

I am considering an oath of commitment or some such, more for the sake of our families than each other. She knows I'm committed to her and her to me; and while our families are both pretty progressive, it might satisfy a few of the more traditionalist holdouts like our grandparents.

We're currently trying to figure out good baby names. We don't know if it's going to be a boy or a girl yet so we're just working on names. She wants something that isn't too modern-trendy like Michaela or Connor, and has a couple nickname options like Liliana, so a girl could go by "Lily", "Lil", or "Anna". We also both like Tristan for a boy name, but obviously it's missing those nickname options.

I also don't know if a boy or a girl would be more exciting... at this point both of us seem pretty content with either!

7. Om

Om DragonWolf

I hope you get two of each!! muhahahaha!!!

Those are great names.

I think Manitou is a wonderful name for a boy and when he grows up, you can call him Man.

uh...er...uh...

I better stop while I'm only slightly behind, huh?

8. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Congrats Electro and to the Mom to be! :thumbsup:

9. jupe

jupe Shocklance Ninja DragonWolf

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tell this to Lynn:

Say, "Jupe says not to ask any women who have had babies what to expect because your pregnancy could be completely 180 degrees different than theirs, and they might make you expect the wrong thing. And listen to Jupe. She's always right."

I'm currently disgruntled, upset, and completely uncomfortable because everything people tell me to expect doesn't happen. In fact, quite often, it's the opposite. And it's pissing me off.

Anyway, congrats :) and I hope her pregnancy goes better than mine's going.

10. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

As I posted in another thread, a couple cool names, and why!

Dude name: Arathorn

Chick name: Persephonie

If I had kids, that would be their names.

The dude name I would then impress on him to name his son Aragorn. Who would be the son of Arathorn....see?!!!

Persephonie is just the coolest chick name.

11. My gf laughed hysterically when she read that, and said that we can't name our child Arathorn because he'll probably end up gay as a result, thus making it unlikely for him to have a child to name Aragorn.

Hey, I'm just saying what she did! :p

12. Sorry, Lily is mine. You wouldn't want to steal my daughter's name would you?

13. jupe

jupe Shocklance Ninja DragonWolf

Electro: details have been PMed.

14. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Then your gf probably isn't worthy of bearing a child!

15. Lol, well I'll see if the names grow on her any Chuk. :p

16. Hey congrats man! First month after birth is a killer :) Get some sleep hehe

17. Wilobren

Wilobren DragonWolf

Congratulations.

A nice hand-fasting might be a ceremony you two may concider having in lieu of a wedding.

18. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Have her read "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" triology. THAT should change her mind!!

19. Congratulations on the blessing that will be coming soon.

20. Lol, her response was to ask me to say that she'd rather name a child Strider than Aragorn. ;)

My girlfriend is a pretty cool chick, she likes to play video games (she's a 70 rogue and numerous 30-somethings in WoW, if only I could get her to play EVE), and pretty well versed in many things nerdy. Don't let her cute looks fool you. :p

I hope to god our baby gets her looks and not mine. :doh:

[​IMG]

EDIT - Eh, she's got brown hair now. This is a more accurate picture of my beauty in her present state:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008