1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Mensa Test

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Marsman, 20 Jan 2006.

1. http://www.mensa-test.com

I manged to get 21 when I tried this late last night - picked up one more this morning but I'll stick with 21 - How many can you get?

2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Zero, my brain hurts just glancing at the list :D

3. I do amaze myself every now and then-I can't figure out the last one

CORRECT ANSWERS: 32 / 33

Believe it or not, this type of test can be a good estimate of intelligence (if you excuse the cultural bias).
    People that did well on this type of test are likely those who are gifted with verbal ability and linguistic pattern recognition.
    This sort of assessment would discriminate against those with non-linguistic pattern recognition (like solving jigsaw puzzles)
    and spatial intelligence (like the ability to use a map or see hidden figures in a drawing).

4. GOT IT!!! =)

CORRECT ANSWERS: 33 / 33

Believe it or not, this type of test can be a good estimate of intelligence (if you excuse the cultural bias).
    People that did well on this type of test are likely those who are gifted with verbal ability and linguistic pattern recognition.
    This sort of assessment would discriminate against those with non-linguistic pattern recognition (like solving jigsaw puzzles)
    and spatial intelligence (like the ability to use a map or see hidden figures in a drawing).

5. Om

Om DragonWolf

I got 19...then I figured I'm already a genius so I have nothing left to prove!!! Wooohooo!!

but it was pretty fun so I'll probably visit again and try to figure the rest out when I have more time and am not starving for lunch. :p~

The nice thing about this test is the answers are fairly common knowledge and just require some cleverness.

6. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I refuse to subject myself to this humiliation. I got a "D" in math - there is no way I am going to allow another bad grade to further destroy my fragile and crumbling ego.

:p

7. I got 15 done before I got busy at work and had to give up trying.

Then I got curious and went and googled the answers :p

Answers found here: http://www.chesskit.com/miscellaneous/quiz.php DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE ANSWERS.

After looking at the answers, I realized why some of the answers are not readily apparent. Think Biblical, and Foreign Sports.

8. It's not to hard if you have the answers.
    Does that make me a genious for finding the
    answers on the internet.
    Oh - the power of the keyboard =)

9. Om

Om DragonWolf

So ya cheated? That's a shame.

I actually had a bit of fun figuring out the answers so I refuse to look at argies cheat sheet...but you say foreign sports and the bible!!! that's probably why I couldn't just pump these suckers out. :p~

10. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    I think that kind of defeats the purpose of the test. :rofl:

There are a bunch there I would never even have any clue about thats for sure.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2006
  11. I got 14 of them pretty quick. The ones dealing with units of time jumped right out at me.

Will have another look when I get home. Right now, it's...

5 M before Q T. ;)

12. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    5 Minutes before Quilting test?

Nice that you take your hobbies so seriously... :p

13. Oed

Oed

I was stuck at 21, and then the hint for bible and sports...thanks! That was an imediate 3 more!

14. Only two i couldn't get were the Rugby and Cricket questions. Stupid quiz, stealing 2 hours of my boring life!

31/33

I learned something doing this . . . it's spelled "MILLENNIUM" not "MILLENIUM"

(And I did this without Zab's dirty Google Haxx.)

Last edited: 20 Jan 2006
  15. DAMMIT that's why! I spent 15 minutes on that one!

I got a lowly 10 before hinting on google for one answer...it's amazing how many doors opened up after that.

5 minutes before quest time? Geez I hate WoW.

16. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Got 18... Managed 14 of them relatively quickly then spent a half hour mulling over the other 4... As for the rest... yikes!

17. well i got 17 reasonably quickly - but i didn't care to sit and think about the rest since i just woke up and am starving. Aside from which i know nothing about P in S A - i could never have gotten a perfect score. (aside from those "foreign sports")

Last edited: 21 Jan 2006
  18. I got 12 right away but then became bored with it. I found the answer on google then it became pointless. :)

Does that make us smarter to be able to find the answers or cheaters? ;)

19. Om

Om DragonWolf

Cheaters...but it also could mean you know your own abilities, have faith in yourself, are comfortable with who you are and don't have to prove to yourself that you're intelligent. :p~

20. symen

symen DragonWolf

I got 13 within a few minutes, I might try again tomorrow -- I love these kinds of things. It's not a true intelligence test -- researched, peer-reviewed intelligence tests are neither cheap nor easy to obtain, and 33 questions are few enough to give you an appreciable margin of error on the results. All that said, it's a fun puzzle. :)

While we're on the subject, I'll post my favorite logic puzzle in case anyone would like to try it. Albert Einstein supposedly created it, but I read that on a website somewhere, so I'm not sure that's actually the case. :p Anyway, here it is: