1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

My Dad's in Brazil (pic)

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Om, 24 Feb 2005.

1. Om

Om DragonWolf

I must confess I thought it was a little crazy when my Stepmother suddenly started referring to my Dad and herself as missionaries. My dad acted suprised about it, too, but I know that's just his way of being humble about how much he helps people.

They retired, sold their home and started traveling around the US in their RV to see the country and spend some quality time visiting all seven of us kids and their grandchildren whom I've now lost count of. We're spread across the four corners of the earth. Somewhere between Jack and Sara, they joined JARRS as missionaries. JARRS used to stand for Jungle Area Radio Relay Service but I suppose with the proliferation of cell phones and satelites they've changed focus.

My dad called from the airport right before boarding his plane to Brazil. He didn't feel very well. He was coughing and sounded displeased about the flight he was facing while sick. Right after his call I read the headlines. It was the day the Catholic nun, Stang, was assasinated in Brazil by hitmen probably hired by a big logger or rancher in the area trying to steal land from the peasants she worked so hard to protect. I think they may have martyred Stang. My stepmother had been really looking forward to meeting her and I'm not even sure they knew about it as they flew out.

I was very happy to get my father's e-mail today and to know he arrived safely.

[​IMG]

2. Looks like a beautiful place. I'm somewhat envious that they have the opportunity and the freedom to do something important to the both of them. May they have a safe, uneventful stay down south :)

3. Nifty. I'd like to go to South America one day. It looks beutiful.
    Fling :D

4. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Thats amazing looking :eek:

I need to get the hell out of this frozen tundra ;)

5. How Beautiful I am so glad to hear that your dad is okay. It is so sad how other parts of the world things like that happen! especially in a place as pretty as that. May he continue to be safe as he works on his missionary things. (and i believe that they are still named that radio name, due to the fact that there are probally not cell towers out there *winks* and hand radio operators are very much needed)

6. Om

Om DragonWolf

My Father sent pics of Carol, my Stepmother, holding up these huge lemons that grow outside of their house. These things were nearly the size of her head. They made lots of lemonade.

And Mignonne, they've shifted focus from radio relay to bible translation as their primary work. That's why my dad's out there. They desperately need people who are able to set up computer networks and help with computer maintenance. They just kept the name because everyone's familiar with it.