1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

New EVE Online Trailer

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hyncharas, 16 May 2006.

1. Last edited: 16 May 2006
  2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Looks awesome :D I'm gonna get back into EVE once I've moved.

One of the best parts of the EVE subscription model is expansions are free. Buy the game, and you are set.

3. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

So give us a rundown on this game. What is the goal, how do we work together, etc. I am curious after watching the trailer.

**edit: Never mind - I went to the sight and read the FAQ. Looks somewhat interesting. I might be looking at this game later.

Last edited: 17 May 2006
  4. Hamma

Officer
    It's not your standard MMO - it requires alot of patience to do. The starting out in the game really sucks they have to redesign it. But with some people to help out and a group of CDL starting it would not be all that bad.

The game is pretty much open ended, you can really go any route that you want to go. You can be a trader, a pirate, a cargo pilot, a fighter etc. But it takes a long time for those roles to play out so sometimes you will be like "Why bother with all this?" hehe.

The entire economy in EVE Is player controlled. Ships are built by players, resouces mined and sold, corporations and groups control sections of space (I have yet to go to those outer reaches). But the game is HUGE. It can take 20 minutes to travel from safe space to some of the corporation space.

But again starting isn't all that fun you have to stay in safe space or you will get waxed beyond recognition if you aren't careful. When you lose your ship it's gone and you get insurance money (depending on coverage) but then you need to buy and reconfigure a new ship.

Overall I found it fun - but RL got busy and I could not figure out what path I wanted to take.

5. Manitou

Is it conducive to our style of play? I mean, I don't have the same play time as others, so does that mean I will become a liability to the team if I lag behind?

I don't want to jump in only to find out the amount of time I can spend on this will severely hamper team CDL from being successful.

6. Hamma

Officer
    Depends what route you go I guess.

As far as skill training goes you do not have to hack away at things for hours on end to level up. You select what skills to train and it's a time based train. So say you train up to Caldari Frigates LVL 4 - if it takes 5 hours or 5 days to train, it always trains even when you are offline.

The lower things take around an hour or so, but after that it gets longer.

7. Can you research stuff to decrease the time?

Like in Ogame, every level of Robotics factory, reduces your build time in half.
    Every level of Research Plant, cuts your research time in half.
    etc.

8. Manitou

So I can become a space pirate and prowl the edges of the universe bringing ill-gotten booty secretly into the CDL coffers? :rawr:

9. Hamma

Officer
    :lol: Being a pirate in the game in interesting but as your wanted level goes up you can't go into safe space anymore or the police eat you up. Also you get a reward on your head and other players can hunt you down.

Same thing with trafficing drugs, the police will find you :p (yes you can traffic drugs in the game, and strippers if thats your thing)

Yep researching learning skills decreases the time, but as you move up in levels it takes longer and longer with some of the biggest skills taking up to a month.

10. Manitou there is already a guild in place in EVE, with a few active members that have been playing for over a year. Its alot like Ogame with a a better Gui.

I dunno how long people would stay but its fun once you get past the nub areas

11. Eve has been a fan of mine for years, but like Hamma said, it needs a patient hand and preferably some others to play with you if you're serious about getting in to it.

I was part of the very first beta for the game before CCP moved their main offices to Polarbear-land :)

12. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    For a MMO, its not like much of anything else out there..

I've bounced in and out several times with different groups of friends. Koroc, Panthera and Wolf are (or were) in the game and having fun. Not sure if their corporation would be best suited to us or to found our own, if that was the intention. Their corp is comprised (obviously) of non-CDL, which can hamper "direction taking" if our train of thought ever differed. At the last time I was in, they were prospering in PvE running missions and such, which didn't hold too much interest with me; I'm more interested in the wildly complex free market system. Very dynamic. Though blowing crap up IS fun as well. In my opinion I'd say start a CDL corporation fresh, to see what direction any members would want to take, and ally with anyone else currently in the game. A corp can always be folded and its players merged with another. All of this, of course, if several here started playing.

Like Hamma said you can speed up learning but it still takes a long time at higher levels. Its the mechanism to keep people playing and paying, unlike WoW which is crack-like levelling and purple weapons.

On that note there's nothing in the way of mass player raids or rare equipment you have to sell your soul to attain. Unless of course you're talking about trying to destroy a player controlled space station, in which case bring the heavy artillery. Dozens and dozens of battleships necessary :p

Its primarily money and time based. I'm pretty sure Wolf, Koroc and Panthera were either in battleships or certainly headed towards acquiring them several months ago. So its possible to advance somewhat quickly if you know what you're doing. If you start a corporation one good idea is to have players develop particular roles, research mining, and engineering among them. Otherwise you wont be making/researching much, and you'll have to find alternate ways of generating income to buy the things you can't build.

As Hynch said too, having a few people playing along with you can mean the difference between a productive fun time, and the game getting boring.

PvP is fun, though admittedly I've never attacked anyone more powerful than I was, and I've been podded on several occasions.
    Being a pirate would be fun.. What Hamma left out though, was while you can't get into high security space without being attacked, you can travel in low sector space without being attacked by AI pirates. Pirates have the obvious allure of attacking people to generate money, but I'd imagine the going is difficult overall.. Of course, with some numbers, you could become a bounty hunter or security corporation, hunting pirates instead of being one.. The options are quite limitless..

Its a really great game, and Hynch's right in suggesting it takes some patience, but then again, so did WoW and most games these days to get the most out of them..

13. Its like Ogame in that its scifi. I'd say the comparison ends there.

EVE really is a rpg, and it definitely requires good tactics to survive. Once you get up to the corporate level, there are fleet sized tactical and strategic implications; whereas ogame is space strategy/ galactic conquest(w/out the actual conquering ).

Last edited: 18 May 2006
  14. and they're working on a graphical overhaul for the dx10 release

15. speaking of which, anybody have the latest issue of EON Magazine? That would at least give Mani and that some ideas to the amount of community support to new players...

16. i wish...but just haven't dropped the cash for them...

17. I resubscribed to this game today out of boredom... I have about 350,000 skill points trained so far.

18. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Reactivated mine as well, I was only on big skill away from getting setup for battleships..

19. Hamma

Officer
    I am back in the game again a bit, name is CDLHamma

20. i took a brief sub break...should be back on in a week or so