1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Rakoin

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by DonkeySmiler, 17 Aug 2005.

1. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

*edit - opps spelled it wrong in title - Rakion

Kind of fun (free) little game from the folks that made Gunbound. Currently in closed beta..... but I think anyone can play :confused:

http://rakion.softnyx.net

* another edit -
    After playing some more, I think it would be fun to set up the guild in this game for fun. It is such a small quick little game, but there is actually a slew of strategy. Would be fun to get a team of cdl together and own some noobs

Last edited: 18 Aug 2005
  2. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

So what is this game exactly? From the video that I saw it reminds me of Phantasy Star Online.

P.S.
    You forgot the "p" in http

3. DonkeySmiler

It is like an ultra-simplistic version of guild wars. Character Level really doesn't matter.... you get minor attribute increases and can use marginally better gear, but essentially it all boils down to "skill" ( I was owning level 7+ people up at level 1). And by skill I mean timing and judging distances and where the enemy will be. The different classes certainly spice things up a bit. For example, The mage can be killed really easily, but if you leave it alone it can wipe your whole team.

So far the game types are Golem which the objective is to either kill everyone on the other team or kill their golem. Then there is team/solo deathmatch. There is also a thing where you fight computer controlled mobs (forget what it is called - chapters maybe).

4. DonkeySmiler

Anyone tried this yet? I am lonely :( :p

Be warned... when I first started playing the game I never got disconnected really.... but as of late I get disconnected all the bloody time :(

5. A few things:

1. Its strangly addicting and fun. Like gunbound.
    2. The stupid ping check thing that kicks me out of matches before I start it pisses me off.
    3. Im cant figure out how to reiably use the "grab" moves >_>

I have a ninja, mage, and blacksmith. I havent gotten to use chaos mode yet ;_;

6. DonkeySmiler

1. Yeah, if it weren't for all the disconnects I could probably keep playing all day :p Maybe they are a "feature" to remind you of stuff you have to do like work and eating.
    2. Yeah that is so annoying.... I guess it is good they are making it so once you get in game it is lag free... but this just isn't the way to do it.
    3. I have yet to pull one of those off..... I think they are kinda like a defib/knife kill in games, nice when it happens but hard to get the enemy to be in the right place at the right time.

7. Bump for rakion.

Its free, and its fun as hell.

8. Lunar

Lunar Development Officer Officer

Officer
    indeed.

9. DonkeySmiler

Double indeed!

10. too bad ninjas suck

11. Heres a little gimp review I did for bohica:

http://rakion.softnyx.net/

Its made by the same people who made gunbound. Even if you diddnt like gunbound, it was still a quality product, and best of all, it is free.

Here comes rakion, currently in beta, but fun as hell none the less.

Its an odd game. Its an action rpg so to speak. If you have ever heard of risk your life, it takes certain ideas from it. The major one being "no targeting." You dont target your enemys. You smash them with your hammer/sword/ manually shoot them with your bow. Stuff like that.

You can execute special attacks by takeing advantage of catching people at the end of an animation, and do a grab move which normally stabs the hell out of them, or in the blacksmith's case, breaks their neck i believe.

The game is mostly pvp. The server selects are fps like. You can host your own games. No matter who's you join though, the game records experiance gain from kills/wins/ as well as gold gains from matches. You can then spend this money on new weapons/armor/ combat pets when you reach the appropriate level.

Thats the only infulence levels have though, equipment. They arent any directly stronger because of their level. It all comes down to skill.

My favorite part is chaos mode. When you get 6 kills (harder than it looks, the game seems to revolve around ksing) You can hit c and go into god mode basicly.

For my warrior for instance, he grows about 3 feet, his armor changes, and he gets a massive blade. He can then does these crazy ass charges and stuff, and can easily take down anyone other than chaos blacksmiths :eek:

For more info, includeing the free download, special move combos, movies, screenshots, and more, click here:

http://rakion.softnyx.net/

The games buggy, no doubt about that, but its worth it. Trust me. And did I mention its free? Its free.

12. What's everyone's character names? I'm playing the beta right now and it's addictive as hell, I came on to make a thread about it but Donkey beat me to it. At first it looks like some sort of RPG, but it's almost purely PVP, which is awesome.

Warriors, Blacksmiths, and Archers should be guarding the Mages and Ninjas who have the easiest time destroying golems. So far, my best record on the 10 round golem map is 21 kills, Chaos-ed three times. :D

Last edited: 22 Aug 2005
  13. DonkeySmiler

My character's name is Brew :D

14. Whenever I join a game it says something about "a player has a connection that is too slow and you have been removed from the game" or some kind of similair engrish mix up.

15. DonkeySmiler

Yeah that is a big pain.... I just spam quick join til I find a good one

*edit - having a fellow cdl start a game and joining it seems to work well

16. My PC locks up as soon as I enter a game :/

17. DonkeySmiler

:( Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

18. i end up getting disconned from my own game half the time lol.

19. Yeah, the problem presists.

20. DonkeySmiler

You behind a firewall or use a router? That seems to be the scapegoat for all the game's problems (in the eyes of the devs) :rolleyes: