1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Source Code Unreal Engine 4 license for everybody

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hyncharas, 19 Mar 2014.

1. So this came thru my email just over an hour ago - apparently Epicgames are launching Unreal Engine 4 today with complete access to the source code for use on PC, Mac, iOS and Android, as well as planned upcoming support for Linux and SteamOS. As for for publishing on consoles, however, you also have submit a query to upgrade to custom license.

"How much?", I hear you ask... well, according to the developer, $19 per month with a 5% gross revenue deducted if your project sells commercially. But this is just for the game - they won't take any money from ancillary products you make including apparel, posters, cuddly or statuesque figurines, animated movies or even books, as long as they don't carry a QR code.

This means that, with the exception of something that carries their engine technology, you can sell a host of merchandise to promote your game, and they don't get a cent of it.

Full details can be read on the new UE4 website: https://www.unrealengine.com/

Just nobody go purchasing it for a couple of days if you're thinking about making your own games - it could just as easily be a hoax by someone wanting to scam people. If it is true, however, I wonder how other engine developers will respond.

2. You can cancel your monthly sub and still be able to use it, though you won't get patches or marketplace access :(