1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Khorneholio, 6 Jul 2013.

1. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    I've been reading about it here and there. Looks very promising!

2. For sure! It seems like a game that a lot of different members could get behind. We have a very strong contingent of flyboys/girls who I'm sure would love a game that's primarily based on flying; There's unlimited room for teamplay and strategy, no matter what playstyle you choose; and there are plenty of non-combat roles like exploration, trade, and salvage that are baked right into the core game.

It seems like it could be everything I wanted Eve to be minus a lot of the parts I didn't enjoy.

3. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Looks nice, it's from the guy who made Wing Commander.. Loved that game..

4. [​IMG]

I will be keeping an eye on it :)

He gets tons of cool points with me on his thoughts on PC Gamers

Last edited: 7 Jul 2013
  5. I've been watching this since they did their big funding campaign, but I'm waiting to see more stuff finished before committing monies.

Looks very promising so far though.

6. I'm in Silvertalon's corner on this one. Looks very cool, but I will only remain cautiously optimistic. I was a huge Freespace fan when those games were current and have always been a space combat sim lover. Didn't play Wing Commander, but I'm sure it was something I would have enjoyed.

7. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Ya, that's my only fear of it too, I've heard kickstarters can have a relatively low "get off the ground" rate.. Some certainly make it, but by pledging money you are not in any way guaranteed to receive the game. What he's got looks great, but I'd rather put money down on something I know will be finished or at least something that gets off to a great and promising start..

8. But there is the problem. without any donations there can be no progress and people on the fence will never get on board. And it is worth noting that this isn't hosted on kickstarter and I haven't looked into it, but he may have some kind of money back in place.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/commercial-terms

It pretty much states int here if they fail to reach their goals you can get a refund of your money. And as of last October they had around $500,000 raised, as of now they have $14,000,000 in pledges. I would say something is likely to get made.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2013
  9. I would caution against thinking that things are great just because of money though. I refer you to DoubleFine's KickStarter:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/07/double-fine-adventure-kickstarter-over-budget-delayed/

That's not to say Star Citizen will run into these issues, but many of these types of projects over-reach. It's very easy to get caught up in enthusiasm for a project, but then see it drag on forever and/or change focus along the way.

As neat as the idea is, there's a great deal of risk involved and it should be treated accordingly. I say this as someone who's backed a few KickStarters now for a tidy sum of money in total. In the realm of software in particular, I feel that risk is too high for the pay-off; there's far too many unknowns in creating something that's completely virtual than there is in creating a physical object. Hence why a lot of people are waiting on the sidelines; it's too easy for something to turn into the next Duke Nukem Forever.

10. With great risk comes great reward :) With things of the nature or any pre order bonus I get into I will usually only invest an amount I feel comfortable with losing if it happens. I won't ever throw $100 or more at a preorder ever again.

11. It's still a long way off with a release estimate of 2015; so there's plenty of time to judge its progress. I'm in as a veteran backer with alpha and beta access, so I'll keep you all posted with up to date updates. :)

12. So I am at work and can not see it but, something about a playable moduel soon for us backers to tour our hangers.

http://t.co/CEg76IMKcO

Someone hook me up with details :)

13. It's the hanger module. Basically you can make an avatar and walk around inside your hanger looking at your ship. It's just a little sliver of the game engine in action, but it'll be nice to check out the eye candy. :)

The first real "meat" of the game is due at the end of the year with the dogfighting module. You'll be able to take your ship into a pvp arena and play around with actual flying and fighting.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2013
  14. Nifty

15. So they just tagged $16 million in crowdsourcing so far

$16 Million!

Greetings Citizens,

We have just hit $16 million in pledges for Star Citizen! The entire Cloud Imperium team is humbled at your dedication to our game, space sims and the PC. With the imminent release of the first Hangar Module we are going to show our dedication to sharing game development with our fans by giving them the earliest ever look at a AAA game… and with this new funding achievement you have shown your dedication to this project once again!

With this milestone you have unlocked the following stretch goals. You will learn more about each in a more detailed post later in the week!

Arena mode: The next generation of Wing Commander’s TrainSim allows pilots to test out their combat skills against friends or strangers in a simulation. Gain valuable combat experience without the downside of losing your ship in the game universe! Place bets on competitions across the galaxy.
    Every pledger who backs before $16 million will receive a laser pistol. Keep your ship safe from boarders with a pistol by your side.
    We are also now pleased to reveal the $18 million goals:

Exclusive star system for pre-launch backers. Only players who support the game before its
    launch will receive the computer coordinates needed to allow their jump drives to access this system.

16. I backed it. I remember a guy in Florida sent me the floppy disks for Privateer way back when, snail mail warez.

17. Last edited: 28 Aug 2013