1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Asp, 15 Jun 2010.

1. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    New Cinematic..

Almost makes you re-think playing the Sith, almost..

Hopefully it wont be delayed past their anticipated Spring release.. :p

Loving that blaster gatling gun too btw.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2010
  2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Caught this last night pretty sweet :eek:

Also apparently players will get their own ships.

3. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Seriously.
    This game cannot come out soon enough.
    I want them to take their time with it. I won't care if it is delayed.
    I want this game to be as wonderful as the cinematic I just saw.

Change the ending though. Can't have a Sith Warrior lose to a Jedi like that.
    (hey, just being true to my dark side)

4. Hamma

Last edited: 15 Jun 2010
  5. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Oh wow...this is intriguing.

6. Asp

Officer
    Sounds like the ships will just be a form of "housing" and allow you to travel from place to place.. It doesn't look like you're going to get to pilot them.. Who knows though, things can change.. I'd imagine you'll be able to pilot some form of ship though in the game eventually, probably fightercraft though, not transports..

7. Asp

Officer
    Interesting look at a group encounter..

<param name="movie" value="http://e3.g4tv.com/lv3/46527" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://e3.g4tv.com/lv3/46527" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object><div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:480px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#FF9B00;"><a href="http://e3.g4tv.com/games/pc/index" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">PC Games</a> - <a href="http://e3.g4tv.com/e32010" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">E3 2010</a> - <a href="http://e3.g4tv.com/games/pc/61502/star-wars-the-old-republic/index/" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">Star Wars: The Old Republic</a></div>

8. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Looks like WoW in space. Same game, different century.

9. Asp

Officer
    No MMORPG games have deviated much from the standard template created with DAOC and earlier (DAOC was my first exposure to the genre)..

What I saw in that vid didn't really surprise me, though what I'm seeing of the rest is being done quite well and is going to be quite interesting..

Don't write it off completely because of one group encounter. It WILL be like any other MMO at it's core. See how it develops..

10. Hamma

Officer
    :(

This is sad for me also, tanks DPS and healers.. original.

11. Asp

Officer
    Addition to the B-Roll of other classes, the Bounty Hunter/Imperial Agent.. The fully voiced quest interaction is really growing on me, it's not just a grab the paper and read it later style of play.

Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter

older class B-Rolls from before (direct links)

Sith

Trooper smuggler

12. Sentrosi

Officer
    I've liked everything I've seen so far.

13. Asp

Officer
    Interesting bit about the AI in TOR.

Not all just "get with in x distance and mob will attack"..

SWtOR First Impressions

14. The cinematic was awesome, but i'd have to be with Mani & Hamma on the gameplay comparison.

15. I don't know, to me it is not standard 5 man group tactics. Bc of its age and the amount of levels WoW has evolved its classes to pretty much purely do one thing and one thing only. Tank, dps, and heal. Ppl gem, enchant, and gear purely to one of those goals and that is how it works. I can't rememeber the last time I went into a 5 man dungeon equal to my level and tanked a mob as a dps'er. Even with getting heals I'd die pretty quickly to most mobs.

Atleast in this fight the dps'er could handle adds, the healer didn't have to constantly spam heals and performed much more like a support class. Now if these were something akin to green mobs and no real threat to any of them then its fairly moot. But it still seemed like there were more tactics involved and more options in how to play your characters.

I'm still mostly hyped about the voice interaction and story telling. No more clicking next and ignoring the flavor text just to grind quests faster is good enough to get me onboard.

16. Sentrosi

Officer
    Exactly Daleon. Our old friend Telthinar would agree with me on this; Lore is integral to the experience. I have yet to run across someone more knowledgeable about Azeroth than Telthinar. You could ask him any question and he'd have an answer for you. To him, exploring that world was just an extension of his passion for reading it. And it made for a more robust experience in WoW.

I feel the same way with Star Wars: The Old Republic. I have not read up on pre-Clone Wars history much but I am excited enough to go and see if I can find some online comics that expand the universe. To me, playing TOR will bring an enhancement to a mythos that I enjoy. And I would hate to miss 50% of the game because I'm to anxious to listen to the quest text.

BTW, the first stage of beta has started.

17. Asp

Officer
    I'm assuming Daleon that is what would be considered a "5 man group quest plus" in WoW. The kind of thing you couldn't tank or dps down if you were alone and the equivalent level. So the tactics are definitely different. 4 different classes, all can do dps, most can heal, most can tank. So if any of you are waiting for some radical dynamic to change MMOs forever before you sub for one again, you'll be waiting a long long time.

This game has the potential to be pretty indepth, flip the concept of levelling on it's head; from simply being a 'means to an end' grind to what a large scale RPG is supposed to play like. Interactive quests with choices which change your character as you go, not a string of fedex/kill quests where the only changes are to the stats on your green weapon or the gold in your bank.

The old republic is a fantastic setting, which should leave them loads of room to play with both the canon of the star wars universe and the directions they can take you. That and you'll never have to worry about the immersion destroying possibility of running into Darth Vader or yoda.

I had no real intention of playing ANY kind of WoW style MMO for quite a while, but ToR has changed my mind with a lot of what I see them developing.

18. Hamma

Officer
    I hope you are right because everything I have been reading has been suggesting more button mashing and rotations. :(

19. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

I said this in Asherons Call, Star Wars Galaxies and WoW.

Crafting should be a mini-game.

How much better would it be if making armor you had to play something like Tetris or Bejeweled to get it done?

20. I've read pretty much all of the Old Republic comic series and the Darth Bane novel. As well as about 100+ expanded universe books. This is one of my favorite sites to give you an idea how much there is to read out there.

http://www.timelineuniverse.net/History.htm

Will have to make a run through Kotor 1 & 2 again before launch. Playing through Force Unleashed now. I bought it when it first came out and never had time to get into it.