1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

This explains what I do.

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Brokentusk, 29 Jun 2011.

1. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

http://electronicdesign.com/article...ilitary-Embodies-Mission-Critical-Status.aspx

When people ask me what I do at my "real" job I am always put on the spot. "I don't really understand it. It is a very scientific company."

The above article talks about some of the gear we make for IFF testing and IED denial.

That's just the military wing, I can't grasp the details. The rest of our gear is a mystery.

And if I ask questions, I won't understand the answer. I work in a building full of Sheldon Coopers.

2. Very cool stuff.

3. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

The some turbo-nerds at work were looking at the spec for this new laser. The range and power are just shy of, "Hell, let's stop bothering with bullets." Seriously, it would permanently blind you in about a millisecond and set your clothes on fire while drilling to your organs.

I jokingly said, "Toss one of those in your pick-up and you could practically brand your cattle from the road." (Most of my co-workers raise cows on the side.)

What followed was 20 minutes of nerds calculating the dissipation of this laser over a distance and in a moving vehicle in various amounts of humidity in the average Kansas spring. At the end they determined that it wasn't very practical, however if you were to mount one on a chute that you put the cows through you could simply bar code them all.

When they were done, I turned to my friend who is most of those guys boss and said, "This is why you are in your 40's and never married."

Which started them calculating if that were indeed true.

There is this point where genius kills every other part of the brain.

4. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Approach them with this question, "Assuming an Imperial squad of Stormtroopers were chasing you down a corridor, calculate the odds of them hitting you, your 8' tall hairy companion, a whiny farm boy and a woman who's always thinking she is better than anyone else." If they reply back the odds are 3,170-1, they will never get married. If they tell you to never tell them the odds, there us hope.

5. Well said dude. Like your words.