1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

View of Afgan-American

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Rayzer, 17 Sep 2001.

1. Got this forward, the formatting will probably be a little messed up but i spent enough time prettying it up for you guys.

The guy doesn't offer a solution, but it is a different perspective and something to think about.

here it is:

Dear Friends,

Yesterday I heard a lot of talk about "bombing Afghanistan back to
    The Stone Age." Ronn Owens, on KGO Talk Radio allowed that this would
    Mean killing innocent people, people who had nothing to do with this
    atrocity, but "we're at war, we have to accept collateral damage," and he asked, "What else can we do? What is your suggestion?" Minutes later I heard a TV pundit discussing whether we "have the belly to do what must be done."

And I thought about these issues especially hard because I am from
    Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35 years I've never
    Lost track of what's been going on over there. So I want to share a few
    Thoughts with anyone who will listen.

I speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. There is
    no doubt in my mind that these people were responsible for the
    atrocity in New York. I fervently wish to see those monsters
    punished.

But the Taliban and Ben Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not even
    The government of Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of ignorant
    Psychotics who captured Afghanistan in 1997 and have been holding the country in bondage ever since. Bin Laden is a political criminal with a master plan.

When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think
    Hitler. And when you think "the people of Afghanistan" think "the
    Jews in the concentration ! camps." It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing to do with this atrocity. They were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would love for someone to eliminate the Taliban and clear out the rats nest of international thugs holed up in their country. I guarantee it.

Some say, if that's the case, why don't the Afghans rise up and
    Overthrow the Taliban themselves? The answer is, they're starved, exhausted, damaged, and incapacitated. A few years ago, the United Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled orphans in Afghanistan--a country with no economy, no food. Millions of Afghans are widows of the approximately two million men killed during the war with the Soviets. And the Taliban has been executing these women for being women and have buried some of their opponents alive in mass graves. The soil of Afghanistan is littered with land mines and almost all the farms have been destroyed . The Afghan people have tried to overthrow the Taliban. They haven't been able to.

We come now to the question of bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone
    Age. Trouble with that scheme is, it's already been done. The Soviets took care of it . Make the Afghans suffer? They're already suffering. Level their houses? Done. Turn their schools into piles of rubble? one. Eradicate their hospitals? Done. Destroy their infrastructure? There is no infrastructure. Cut them off from medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already did all that.

New bombs would only land in the rubble of earlier bombs. Would they
    At least get the Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the
    Taliban eat, only they have the means to move around. They'd slip away and hide. (They have already, I hear.) Maybe the bombs would get some of those disabled orphans, they don't move too fast, they don't even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and dropping bombs wouldn't
    really be a strike against the criminals who did this horrific thing. Actually it would be making common cause with the Taliban--by raping once again the people they've been raping all this time.

So what else can be done, then? Let me now speak with true fear and
    trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden is to go in there with ground
    troops. I think that when people speak of "having the belly to do what
    needs to be done" many of them are thinking in terms of having the belly to kill as many as needed. They are thinking about overcoming moral qualms about killing innocent people. But it's the belly to die not kill that's actually on the table. Americans will die in a land war to get Bin Laden.

And not just because some Americans would die fighting their way
    Through Afghanistan to Bin Laden's hideout. It's much bigger than that,
    folks. To get any troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through Pakistan. Would they let us? Not likely. The conquest of Pakistan would have to be first. Will other Muslim nations just stand by? You see where I'm going. The invasion approach is a flirtation with global war between Islam and the West.

And that is Bin Laden's program. That's exactly what he wants and
    why he did this thing. Read his speeches and statements. It's all right
    there. AT the moment, of course, "Islam" as such does not exist. There are Muslims and there are Muslim countries, but no such political entity as Islam.

Bin Laden believes that if he can get a war started, he can
    constitute this entity and he'd be running it. He really believes Islam would beat the west. It might seem ridiculous, but he figures if he can polarize the world into Islam and the West, he's got a billion soldiers. If the West wreaks a holocaust in Muslim lands, that's a billion people with nothing left to lose, even better from Bin Laden's point of view. He's probably wrong about winning, in the end the west would probably overcome—whatever that would mean in such a war; bu! t the war would last for years and millions would die, not just theirs but ours. Who has the belly for that? Bin Laden yes, but anyone else?

I don't have a solution. But I do believe that suffering and poverty
    Are the soil in which terrorism grows. Bin Laden and his cohorts want to bait us into creating more such soil, so they and their kind can
    flourish. We can't let him do that. That's my humble opinion.

Tamim Ansary

2. Great Dane

Great Dane <B><FONT COLOR="RED">THE LEGENDARY BANNED</FONT></

I already flamed this tree hugger once today.

If you ask me this is a letter form a coward. Unwilling to fight for his own country he fled to the U.S. to hide, and now urges us to do nothing. Well news flash, if the people won't take up arms, and help us Defeat the Talaban then they better get out of our way.

The guy in this letter says that the Citezens of Afganastan are like the Jews that were percicuted by the Nazis, but then he beggs us not to bomb the country. How many of the Jews in WW2 begged us not to bomb the Nazis? This is nothing but subterfuge designed by supporters of Terrorist countys to tug at our heart strings.

This guy won't help his own countymen and is asking us not to help them either. It sickens me to read it.

3. I really don't interpret it that way Dane. Would the Jew have wanted us to bomb the concentration camps? No, they wanted to be liberated.

Like I said, he doesn't offer a solution. But I don't think that bombing the country to hell will help anything, you don't know that you got the right people. And the country has been in a civil war for the past ever. It just happens that the bad guys are currently winning.

I definately think that we have to do something, bombing my be involved if you have the right targets, but I personally don't see how to accomplish the mission without sending ground troops in to fight. That is where I disagree with him, we have to send troops in to make sure we get their leaders and Bin Laden. But I don't like the idea of sending our troops into a country that is covered with mines, but we managed in Iraq and we will manage in Afghan...

And don't be too hard on the guy for not going to Afghanastan and picking up and AK47 to help his countrymen. Not everyone is able to do that, he is trying to help them in his own way by showing people the the Afghan people are good people and do not deserve to be slaughtered. The need to be liberated from their tyranical government and the evil organizations that operate in their country.

I come from South Africa. This is a country that for years totally opressed the black people. I might add that blacks in South Africa out number whites by a margin of at least 6 to 1. Now you ask why didn't they just rise up and overthrow the government? Well it is not that easy when that government is better educated, better equipped, and puts down any uprising with efficient, effective, brutallity. When you are so busy trying to find food for yourself and your family while avoiding land mines, you cannot always contemplate how to overthrough the government or what terrorist organizations are operating in your country, you are too busy trying to aviod them killing you while still scrounging enough food to eat.

I think the point of his letter was a good one. Bombing the capital will not get the people responsible, and that is the goal of any action we will take. I personally do not believe that the US will be random in our attacks, they will be very specific and precise. And unfortunattly this will most likely call for ground troops which means that the US will be paying a big price for our actions. But I believe it is a price we must pay because it is the right thing to do.

I was reading a book last night and there was a line in there that was very fitting, I don't remember what is was exactly but the jist of it was this:

Don't do what you have to do out of vengence, do it because it is the right thing to do. That way in the future your judgement will not be clouded by anger and hatred, but you will do the right thing.

The right thing to do is to rid the world of these terrorist bastards. That does not mean we have to kill millions of innocents to do it. (I know innocents will die, i have no illusions of the grandure (sp?) of war, but we can do our best to limit the numbers.)

Rayz

4. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Attacking, and Defending our freedom carries a price. btw nobody knows what we are going to do yet, most likely will involve surgical strikes with bombers perhaps, but in addition to Special Forces (delta force) teams taking out individual targets.

I highly doubt we are going to destroy everything.

5. me too doubts we are gonna level anything.

But there is also gonna be lots o terrorists that just plain aint gonna wake up one morning cause their heads is not fully attached to their bodys.

It makes me happy.

6. Hamma

Officer
    :thumbsup:

7. Great Dane

The U.S. is not likely to inteninally bomb any inocent citezen of any country. They are however likely to bomb the fuck out of Talaban controled military insalations.

We are not the Terrorists here has this article would like to make you think we are. That is why it upsets me so much. Yes we need ground troops, and yes something must be done.

Letters like this one are designed to tear our country apart. Just as the stupid hippies did in the 1960's. We lost the War in Viet Nam becuase it lacked the support of the country. Our parents are sorry that they did not support our troops durring that time, and they are trying hard not to repeat there mistakes now. This is the same propaganda that was used to devide the country 30 years ago, and I will not stand for it.

What purpose does this letter server except to stir up librals to question the actions of their own government? Now is the time for the country to come togeather. Not to start second guessing actions that we have not even taken. How many jews would have wnated us to do nothing becuase it would start a world war?

Well guess what. This IS a world war, and it is one we must win. It is one that we will not win unless we as a country stand togeather. You talk about South Africa and the opression of the blacks there, how many of them complained when U.S. led sanctions against that country led to the betterment of their lives? We used the same policys against South Africa when they violated human rights that we have used against the middle east an yet you never resorted to terrorism. What gives the middle east the right?

Fredom comes at a price. If we want to stay free then we must be willing to pay that price..

8. Hamma

Officer
    Indeed there is no doubt we are gonna rape the shit outta the government controlled stuff. This must be done. And its highly unlikley we are going to start boming schools, hospitals and things of that sort. At least not on purpose. But once again, this is a war.

9. Great Dane

10. As for South Africa. The major difference their is that South Africa didn't hate the US. There was terrorism in South Africa against the policies of the government. The sanctions initailly only hurt the poorer people of the country, but they did eventually play a pivotal role in bringing about change in the country.

Like in Afghanastan, who do you think the sanctions hurt most? Its the common poor dude.

I view the letter differently. See I will support the government in what they feel they have to do. But I do not like the anti arab, muslim, afghan, feeling that you sometimes get from people who cannot differentiate between normal people and terrorists.

I thought the letter did a good job reminding everyone that there are people in Afghanastan, suffering people, not just terrorists. I think it only strengthens the fact that we must do something. Not only to stop terrorism but to help the suffering people.

11. Hamma

Officer
    People who are hating arabs because they are arabs are asses and do not belong in our country.

12. Great Dane

I agree.

13. Alekzander

Alekzander =oV=

I also agree.. That shit is way wrong.

Although, I am a bit with that letter posted in the initial message. Bombing the Afghan people isn't the answer. Going in with a vast Ground Force, supported by Sea/Air operations is the only answer. If we bomb a bunch of repressed people who may or may not support the government it is going to turn world opinion against us. It won't 100%, we will still have the backing of the European nations. Also, we will enjoy the East Asian countries support also. We will however lose out on all support from Muslim Nations, and Mid-eastern Secular nations. This would be a mistake since if you take a long term view of the whole situations we need their support to combat Terrorism as a whole. I doubt the Bush Administration is ignoring that fact. This will be a targeted response directed at a particular faction/group. The Taliban is not the Afghan people. It is merely the ruling party. Although, I do not doubt the people of Afghan (a sizable amount) will raise up in arms against any incursion of their homeland by foreign soldiers (i.e. us ). In this case we should destroy those who raise up arms against us. They are the ones who support the Taliban and who we do not want in that country after we dismantle their current politcal ruling party. Once we finish up in Afghanistan, we should invite all allies who participated to setup occupation forces and nurture a new government to be established. I even promote a Muslim government if that is what the people want.

Alek
    =oV=

That was mostly just random thoughts. Probaly wasn't to strung together also.

14. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Idea

Use small, special trained units (SEALs, SF, DELTA) to infiltrate the "nests" of the terrorists, particularly the Taliban. Once you find them, approach them one at a time, insert knife in throat, press to top of skull, twist, instant ragdoll. Repeat procedure until all potential worm food terrorists are either dead or running. The ones that are running, chase them forever.

The opportunity to carry this out will NOT be easy. But it is the best way to deal with this type of enemy. Open carpet bombing will not get the terrorist. He will use whatever peoples he is currently around as shields. The terrorist is the ultimate coward. But in that, he has great strength, because he will use the weak to accomplish his goal.

Seek out the "nests" and use extreme prejudice in making sure not one gets out... not one.

Manitou
    :maniaf:

15. Hamma

Officer
    Indeed

16. Great Dane