1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

World in Conflict beta on Fileplanet

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Asp, 15 Jul 2007.

1. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    World in Conflict

Seemed interesting, so I figured I'd download the beta. Hoping its a kind of modern day Company of Heroes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fileplanet beta

anyone with a FP account that would like to join in the fun let me know. :)

2. Asp

Officer
    Looks like I'm just in time to stem the inevitable avalanche of interest here :rofl:

Not sure if its merits a download frankly, it's worth a look if you've got an interest in a different type of RTS, and have some spare time.

You can have games as big as 16 players atm. The ability to jump into games currenly in progress is nice. It's always big team A vs team B affairs, so you wouldn't end up walking into a meat grinder.

Instead of a fog of war you can only see units in range of your allies or your own troops. I'm pretty sure there's line of sight issues too, so you could potentially be hidden from your enemy if a significant enough obstacle was between you.

Destructable terrain adds some nice tactical elements. Take the town center and destroy the western bridge access and force your enemy to enter from the north. Anticipate repairs to the West and an air assault and you can lock areas down in ways you can't in typical RTS games.

Explosions and effects are impressive, even on my low rez running box.

Outside of the units you command there's an impressive array of "command abilities" everyone gets from rapid reinforcements, logisitcal backup (repairing that destroyed bridge anyone?), and a litany of air-strikes, and artillery (CoH players know how much Asp likes his artillery).
    If you build up enough command points you can have a spectacular light show like I had last night on a large retreating tank column. Friendly artillery, and an A-10 strafing run i called in set my opponents tanks on the move. Pinpoint artillery and a bombing run obliterated his force, as he came to a halt after a laser guided bomb blew out his bridge escape route. All examples of attacking the enemy without actually using physical units..

Unfortunately the game does lend itself to people playing "big helicopter" squadron, and "guy with lots of tanks"; as opposed to larger more balanced forces. Though I suppose once you get good at the game and working with others you can develop more appropriate tactics.

Its definitely a different take on the typical RTS game, and is a possible indicator of how an RTS would work in a MMO concept.

There you go if anyone was still sitting on the fence :p

3. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    Saw this game the other day and trailer looked really awesome , but wasn't sure how it would play out.

4. Sputters

Sputters DragonWolf<br>Invisible Shorts<br>AKA Black DragonWolf

Really fun game graphics are crazy good looking (especially the nukes)....Something about napalming a group of infantry in a forest never gets old :p

5. downloading off usenet right now

6. there was an open beta sign up on the official game page...did that...got a cd-key and i'm dl the torrent now...don't know if its any different from the FP beta...

edit:

Okie dokie... i'm all set up... i created a clan...but then decided it would be best to not jump into a random game w/out a clue sporting the tag...so i deleted it

edit2: i can't seem to stay connected for more than a couple minutes at which point i'm either dropped from the server or booted from massgate altogether

edit3: there appear to be issues with using a wireless connection :(
    http://beta.massgate.net/read.php?4,6985

edit 4: well...it seems like it'd be a really fun game to play, but not being able to stay in a game for more than 5 minutes makes it difficult to really judge...hopefully they'll put out a patch or 2 to fix the connection issues that some seem to have

Last edited: 21 Jul 2007
  7. Should be in stores today. Gonna pick it up I think. Videos look amazing. The focus on strategy and not building/mineral collecting is a big plus.

8. Asp

Officer
    I like the concept, but every time I played you always seemed to run into "helicopter guy" or "player with lots and lots of tanks".. Balanced forces seemed far and few between.. Though they may have made some changes since beta..

I did like the overall concept though..