1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Swad, 10 Jan 2013.

1. I'm curious since I saw Firez mention it in another thread--who all plays or has played World of Tanks? I know SilverTalon and Danerune do as well. It's a fantastic game and probably the best F2P model there is out there for an MMO (that's barely an MMO in how pub matches go down). Too bad you can only have three people playing together in a public match. I've sunk more than my fair share of hours (days? weeks?) of playtime into this one and consider it a rock solid game in general.

Dane and I were talking a bit about another game to play as a distraction when not playing Planetside 2 (as not to go full burnout on PS2) and this came up again for us. Who else is a WoT vet here?

2. I <3 WoT, but I suppose being mentioned by Swad I don't count. :( /sniffle

3. I play with a few people that are in CDL - Beachman and Nothing both play. I also have a few more friends at work that play. Unfortunately, as you say, they only allow 3 to drop together unless you roll with a tank company. When we did that we found that you basically only drop vs top tier in what you select perfectly spec'd out with 100% crew and 3 skills. We tried dropping Lights T2-T4 ish but there were no other groups to drop with. The only thing we could drop against were T6 tanks and they were, as I said, perfect. Left us no chance.

Look me up - Firez037 if you want to play :)

4. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    One question: When Beach goes left, do you all follow to your doom?
    Ahhh SWTOR memories....

5. I've not been able to try tank companies, as I usually just farm daily doubles when I'm in the mood.

I do have just about every line except the second Soviet TD line going though...

6. I've not tried WOT but I know a couple people that used to play. Isn't it considered extremely "pay to win"? :\

7. Not really. Real money gets you premium time (bonus credits and XP, same as PS2), premium tanks (lower costs, income multiplier, but inferior to tanks of the same tier performance-wise), garage/barracks slots for more tanks/crew, credits (at a terrible conversion rate) and it used to get you premium ammo, but that is also available for credits now. You can also use to move XP from an "elite" tank (one you've fully researched) and move it to "free XP" which can be spent on any tank, greatly speeding up your "leveling" in the game, but remember that was still XP you earned in-game first.

"Gold ammo" is what people used to call out as "pay2win" but honestly, it didn't make that big of a difference in public play (as evidenced by a lack of meltdown when it became freely available). The rounds had higher penetration values, but did no additional damage. However, if you used this magical skill known as "aiming at weak spots" (which every tank has on every facing) you typically never have issues with hurting things you're supposed to be able to hurt. Premium ammo's role is in high-level play where each and every shot MUST count for your team to win. It took some randomness out of the equation, basically, but a bad shot was still a bad shot.

8. In the world of "pay to win" freemium type games, WoT falls at the opposite end of this philosophy. To reiterate and shore up what Silver said, paying just does things like allow you to move through tank tiers at a faster rate, have a larger garage of tanks, make credits faster to buy stuff sooner and so on. When you're on the actual battlefield, there's really nothing that a paying person has access to that's going to give them an advantage over you to win the match. They just probably have a larger garage of tanks and are acquiring them faster than you.

When it comes to free to play games, I think WoT did it right when it came out a couple years ago and spearheaded doing F2P properly. Paying just gives you more comfort and not an advantage on the battlefield.

9. I played for several months publicly and competitively with TSF, but lost the interest. If there are enough people playing, I'll try to install it again(I occasionally miss my Russian tanks)

10. Yeah, it was the "gold ammo" that caused the people I know to leave iirc.

11. Yeah, earlier tonight I was running an M103 (Tier 9 US Heavy) and put two penetrating hits each into an E-75 (Tier 9 German Heavy) and a T95 (Tier 9 US Tank Destroyer) frontally with normal ammunition. Both of those tanks are known for having quite formiddable armor as well.

All HEAT rounds would have done is allow me to snap a shot off without aiming as much, but knowing where to shoot on tanks gives you the exact same effect. Learning weakpoints also let's you be far more effective than just spamming HEAT as you can disable crew, set the tank on fire or just outright destroy it via hitting its ammo.

12. If you are playing clan wars you know you need gold rounds to compete and in public matches gold round use is pretty rare. Maybe your friends thought people were using gold rounds when in actuality your friends weren't positioning their tanks right to avoid exposing weak spots.