1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

A word of caution...

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by PumpMonkey, 4 Jan 2007.

1. If you get a flat tire on the Freeway, you should either call a tow truck from your cell, or limp the car off the freeway. Go ahead - drive on the tire/rim, its much safer that way.

Please, please don't change the tire on the freeway. My cousin helped someone change a tire on the freeway and was injured very seriously.

:(

~PM~

2. Sorry to hear this Pump , Hope hes OK.

3. sorry to hear that man. hopefully he is doing well. I know that happened to me I got a flat on the freeway and I just got off the nearest exit then fixed it. glad I did. Its pretty scary watching the cars fly by ya wondering what would happen is someone did something stupid.

4. Well...
    I know the details, but here is the abridged version -
    A co-worker called him from her cell phone for help.
    His initial impulse was to call her a tow truck and pay for it. But he drove out to change the tire.
    He parked behind her, and proceeded to help. He was bent over between his and her car, when she screamed. He stood up as another car plowed into the back of his car, forcing his car into hers.
    He lost one leg above the knee immedeatly.
    He lost his other leg below the knee in surgery.
    I went to see him yesterday and they are keeping their spirits up as best as they can in this situation. He's young (34) and Amanda (his wife) is as strong as one can be. Last night she went home from the hospital to tell their three young kids.

He has another surgery today (routine cleaning and inspection for infections). He will undergo many more surgeries and will eventually have his legs 'evened out' so he can wear prostethetics.

It has not been the most festive and care-free of holidays here (Another cousin of had an anurysm in his Aorta just before xmas as well...at least he's back home now...)

If you care to know more, you can go to
    http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/visitAPage.do
    his name is Aaron Holm.

-=peace out=-

~PM~

5. oh pump, i am so sorry to hear :( that is just awful. :hugs:

6. He's lucky he stood up and it's only his legs that he lost.

What does he do? Hopefully he'll be able to return to work eventually.

Then, there's always the chance for a lawsuit against the guy that hit him...

7. Pump we feel Bad for you and your Family and will Pray he comes thru best can be expected.

8. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

My best wishes on a speedy recovery for your cousin.

9. Man, senseless stuff like that really gets to me. Was she stopped in a freeway lane or on the emergency lane?

Hope he's feeling better soon...

10. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

Damn. He's lucky that's all he lost. May not seem like it today, but damn. At least his wife is just telling about missing limbs, not what will happen at his funeral.

I work with a guy that got hit while jogging. Pulverized his hips. He can't walk at all with out crutches.

Give him all the support you can. He's going to be beating himself up about it a lot.

11. Daelon - Yes, she was off the side - on the shoulder. The vehicle that hit was swerving, the drivers side hit Aaron's car. Obvious negligence I'd say. Who know's if he was drunk that early in the Morning, reaching for a CD, or talking on his cell.

BT - I hear what you're saying. Aaron was thrown OVER his car, then he got up, hopped (on one leg) a few feet and then fell over. As he layed there, he realized he was looking at his leg.
    He just had another surgery today (cleaning/inspection) and will have another on Saturday.
    Thus far, the Dr.'s are really optimistic. There are time-tables being estimated now, when things will happen (wheel-chair use, prosthetics, etc.) As I just mentioned - the DR's are optimistic.

Thanx for the thoughts...

~PM~

12. My best wishes to you and your Cousin & Family Pump. I hope things will work out. They seem pretty optimistic under the situation.

Changing a tire on the freeway is nothing I would do. I've seen to many accidents. If mine or someones car breaks down, I'll take a quick look under the hood, but beyond that, its tow truck time. I'll get something out of my auto insurance premiums.

Again, I wish you the best.

TBP

13. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

14. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Echoing everyone's statements here Pump. Wish Aaron the best of luck and keep his spirits up. BT is right in that he's going to be beating himself up senslessly over this. Karma will get that guy back.

15. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

Wait a sec, OVER his car?

If he was a cat I would say he burned through a few lives. I thought he was just clipped.

Damn, that is flat amazing.

They catch the other guy?

16. Aaron pulled in behind the gals car -
    I'm not certian if he had completed changing the tire or not, but he had fallen between the two cars, and heard her scream. That prompted him to stand immedeatly; then the oncoming car struck.
    His left leg was instantly severed - the right was too damaged to save, and had to be removed during surgery. The oncoming driver never left the scene, yes, his car (as well as the other two) were totaled.

This is beginning to sound like a greek tradgey;
    - Aaron's insurance has to pay for the damages to her car, (it hit her car)
    - One bone is partially shattered and split from his knee up his hamstring.
    - He had a mild allergic reaction to morphine (under control now)
    - The on-coming driver is a 79 year old man.
    - The co-worker is 5 months pregnant, and we don't know where she is. We know she is going to carry this with her forever, and we ALL fear for her as well. (5 months pregnant~!!)

Any good news you ask?
    Well...so far I know that the oncoming driver is cooperating fully
    - Aaron will keep his job, the owner said so, and he (the owner) is flying in from their HQ (in Phoenix) to see him.
    - Aaron starts upper body training today. The Drs are VERY optimistic that with in 8 weeks he may be able to move about on prothestitics.

~PM~

PS - Not a mark on him otherwise. When I saw him at the hospital, he had a very faint bruise above his right eye. (I told him he really ought to do something about that.... ;) )

Last edited: 5 Jan 2007
  17. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

At least it wasn't a hit and run.

Whose the company? Nice to see a company still being run with integrity.

18. Aaron works for CDI CORP

And so, here I am in WI to visit my parents, and pay a visit to see My other cousin (Derrick) who had an aortic dissection of the big artery on December 11th.
    DERRICK's STORY

...and DAMMIT Just as I get up here = he's back in the Hospital down in Minneapolis....

:(

~PM~

19. Hey sorry just read this, sorry about your cousin's! Sounds awful. One time when I was in high school, the school had open lunch. Well Brian(iffos) and I desided to go out to subway to eat. And subway was not in walking distance from the school, so we got it the car to go. When we were driving he got a flat, and it was winter. So he pulled over. I stayed in the car (it was winter and I was cold) and he changed the tire. Well all of a sudden he starts screeming and swearing yell for me to jump out of the car. I started to get out but thankfuly the car breaked in time and we didnt hit. He was so close though like inches. And he was going fast! He swore at us saying we should be parked there. Like we can help a flat tire!!! Anyways I know better now not to stay in the car when we have a flat!