1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Age of Conan Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Sentrosi, 22 Apr 2008.

1. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Yea I'm about to start mine up again, see how it goes :\

2. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

I dont think id touch a pve server myself. Depends on how its setup though I guess, are there factions or sides or does pvp server mean open pvp everywhere ?

Daoc had 3 major realms that could all fight each other in pvp zones, and each realm had there own noob pve zones wich was a good layout. Encouraged you to work together with your own realm to kill the bad guys. Pretty similiar to horde / alliance in wow, and you cant realy attack your "own" people. There were a couple of servers that were full pvp servers and you could attack your own side. I never tried those as they were kind of against the design and theme of the game.

Anyways im lazy and havent read much about conan, anyone have a breif rundown on how the rules work for pve vs pvp ?

I see on the website theres RP-PvP servers that they have planed.. probably what id play on myself. I realy liked the RP servers in daoc, not sure how connan will work out. In daoc generaly seemed to be more mature players on RP servers, atleast for the first couple years when the rules were more or less enforced and people couldnt be dumbfucks in open chats, or have names like omgl33tpwnzerdude. Alot of people roleplayed there classes and characters to, just made the atmosphere of the game alot better for me.

3. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

Don't want to cause too much of a derail, but I am shocked other games do not adopt the 3 faction approach. It alleviates some of the cries of one side being "overpowered" because if one side does get too strong, then the other two sides can have a temporary cease fire and join forces. Just my two cents.

Interested in hearing some first-hand reviews from CDL on this game.

4. From what I've gathered its heavy Guild based Siege Warfare. Similar to how Shadowbane worked.

I am sure there will be alliances, etc. But on pvp servers its likely full on pvp, no factions.

I know there are pvp mini-games. Instanced pvp like in WoW. I think there is a deathmatch though which should be fun.

5. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

I'm wondering if there won't be zones that are full out pvp even on the pve servers. Once I get home from work I'm going to do a little research and look into this more.

6. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

"Don't want to cause too much of a derail, but I am shocked other games do not adopt the 3 faction approach. It alleviates some of the cries of one side being "overpowered" because if one side does get too strong, then the other two sides can have a temporary cease fire and join forces. Just my two cents."

Definatly one of the best parts of daoc right there. Our server was a perfect example, I think about 50% of the population was albs maybe 30% mids and 20% hibs. If one sides hugely overpowered in numbers you just see the other two ganging up on them. Realy made pvp great there, you could be fighting one side in massive fights for relics or keeps, or even in small scale pvp then the third side could sweep in when the other two were weak. Made scouting and communication huge, and made solo play just as viable as group or zerg play. Its sad that game never seemed to be as popular as wow is today, it had alot of class balance issues (kind of hard to fully ballance when I think theres about 50-60 classes?) but the way the game played on so many levels blows away most games ive seen. Big part of it for me was that none of it was instanced either. I absolutly hate instanced pvp in wow, its just pointless killing/capturing with no long term goals or benifits other then getting honor. From what ive read the warhammer teams taken alot of feedback and there trying to keep as much of the world pvp and objectives as possible.

Anyways, im rambling on alot about two other games.. I still know very little about warhammer and even less about connan, but im sure ill be sticking with wichever has the better world pvp content. If connans free for all that could be pretty interesting, maybe something like eve if its open ended enough, would be great if there were limited or captureable resources for crafting and such.. daoc had that to some extent for a long while, realy drove alot of pvp there.

7. Hamma

Officer
    I haven't read a ton about it myself but I do know from reading about the Siege PVP areas that Guilds can build and hold keeps, smaller guilds can capture towers and hold them. Apparently there are also resource nodes that can be fought over in those areas.

The Siege area is a separate area of the game (not instanced though I don't think) just another region. They also have those instanced PVP sessions like WoW with the capture the skull and those other gametypes.

I would assume though that regardless of server type there are areas that are non-pvp or consensual PVP so that new players aren't getting smacked around the second they enter the game.

EDIT: Here's some basic stuff.
    http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...ISH&template=news_features_game&selected=1094
    http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...w&template=content&func_id=2336&table=CONTENT
    http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...&func=publish.show&table=CONTENT&func_id=1923

There's also mounted combat.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2008
  8. Hamma

Officer
    Started reading more.. slow day at work :p

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=75776

So the PVP is fully open. Also good because Dragon Wolves can be any race or class they want to be and we can all play together, we don't have to pick a faction to play.

It certainly looks pretty interesting can't wait to give it a whirl. My download was near done this morning when I woke up so it should be done now.. hopefully.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2008
  9. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    My download is complete. What I would suggest everyone to do is, once it's done downloading, install it. You won't be able to download any patches or anything like that, but you'll at least be a step ahead of the game. Took me a solid 15 minutes to install it last night during our officers meeting.

And for those wondering what the system specs are;

Required
    Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
    RAM: 1GB RAM
    Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800

Recommended
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (E6600) or better
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 or better
    RAM: 2GB or more

Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit processors, multi-core
    Supports Parental Controls on Windows Vista

10. I read through a Siege Warfare Article IGN has up. Its pretty cool, lots of complication but in good ways.

You start with a Play city for your guild that is in an instance. You can build buildings that give different bonus for guild members. Eventually you can put up a Battle Keep which is deployed in real world. There are 8 slots for Battle Keeps, first come first serve at start of game. You have to wipe out someone elses if you want yours up if all slots are taken. If your battle keep falls it does not affect your play city.

Siege warfare is setup using a calendar where the defenders can set times when they will be online to defend. Likely some kind of minimum amount of time per week required.

There are also limits on the number of attacks, how often you can be attacked, etc. Uses some kind of point system, seems similar to AV in WoW for the siege battles.

11. Hamma

Officer
    Sounds pretty cool :brow:

So I installed the game, patched it - then launched the game and you can hear stuff (intro videos, etc) but its all black till it gets to the main menu (still black) you can hear music playing but cant see anything :lol:

Not a good sign so far.. haha

12. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I am still trying to get a beta key. I request one from the beta request page and it keeps rerouting me back to the request page after I enter my info and hit submit.

I have entered a ticket for this apparent anomaly. I have a Founder's Account, so they need to get on this or lose my business. I pay good money to get these chances.

13. Hamma

Officer
    That black screen issue was resolved btw, if you startup the game to test and get nothing but a black screen but hear the music go into the directory where you installed AOC and double click the "SimpleConfig" file. Under there go to the video options and toggle it off full screen, start the game get to the main screen and hit quit. Then go back into simpleconfig and check full screen again - this fixes it :D

14. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Weird Mani, not rubbing it in, but I just tried to get a key now and it did it right away.

Maybe clearing cookies, trying a different browser, logging in again?

Sounds weird.

15. Hamma

Officer
    I think he finally ended up getting it on another computer... it was a VERY odd issue that I can't figure out.. almost like his comp was caching the page or something?! :lol:

16. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    blizzard WoW anti-competition virus maybe? :p

17. Hamma

Officer
    Certainly would not surprise me.. :lol:

:p

18. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Yeah, I got the key on another comp.

I am having issues with both my browsers where it may be a Java error. Drop down menus and things like that don't seem to function properly on some websites. I am getting this error in the Java console:

Error: illegal XML character
    Source File: the download url here
    Line: 33, Column: 10
    Source Code:
    ataTrack(<%= nibID %>, 'fileinfo')

No clue what that means.

But I am installing it now, so...

19. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    If there is a PvP server available for the beta, we'll probably start there. I'll post the server info and other such details when the beta starts tomorrow.

20. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

It looks like from what I'm reading that the Border Lands will be pvp zones on any server type. I also saw mention of RP/PVP servers... could be a good place for us all things being equal.