1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Age of Conan Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Sentrosi, 22 Apr 2008.

1. Sounds awesome, let me know when there is a demo available. ;D

2. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    ****IMPORTANT****
    Beta will begin at approximately 11am EST.

If you have your beta key, please go here and enter your beta key you got from FunCom. I had a devil of a time trying to create one, so I imagine that many others will too. All you do is enter your beta key and it takes you to the account registry page. You put your details there and you should be set.

3. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Got mine all set. Sadly I am working extra the next few days so I won't be in till late :(

4. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    done and done..

5. Keep us posted guys. I'm interested in the game. But I'm still sitting on the fence :)

6. Account created...

So an important job for any of you that are lucky enough to get on when servers come up, grab a list of server names. See if there is any split showing East Coast, RP, PVP, RP-PVP, etc. I doubt they will have all the servers up for the beta that will be live... we'll likely have to pick one when the early play date starts on 17th. But we need a beta home everyone knows to go to.

UPDATE
    Servers will be delayed until 4pm eastern it appears:
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=77570

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  7. Sentrosi

Officer
    I'll be posting that info here Daleon.

8. Sentrosi

Officer
    Looks like they've backed the start of the open beta up a bit.

9. Its now 22:00 hours gmt, so 6pm eastern I guess. Getting closer to my time off, woot.

10. Jennyboo

Jennyboo Public Relations Officer Officer

Officer
    what server ?

11. Sentrosi

Officer
    PVE Server 3
    They don't seem to have a PvP server up right now. Not sure if they will for beta.

I've created a TS channel under the CDL General Chat. NDA has been lifted, so it's ok.

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  12. home from work...just need to update my gfx drivers...should be in shortly

13. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

Good god it's going so slow...

14. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Impressions so far?

15. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

My download finally finished. Installing now, just in time for me to leave :mad:

:mr-t:
    <--- the foo

16. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    First impressions after playing for about an hour (Mostly on loading screens :lol:) Aside from that though (to be expected) I really wasn't all that impressed.. it just felt - odd.. and almost claustrophobic :huh:

I will be in again late tonight and in the evening tomorrow/sun to check it out some more.

17. Sentrosi

Officer
    What I liked about it, so far, is that my destiny quests are not tied into the real world. They happen at 'night', which is to say that it is almost an instanced world where you start to figure out who and what you are. Very story driven, almost Oblivionesque. During the 'day' you do your usual quests and such, but you can always switch over to 'night' and fulfill your destiny.

18. Rubick

Rubick DragonWolf

It feels really linear, like the maps are just a bunch of trails you mindlessly roam about, i hear that will change when you get off the island... at 20 so we won't be seeing that in this beta.

The combat is blah so far. To be honest, i have only tried 2 classes but still it seems like your little dude is just flailing around. Im not sure about the shields mechanics yet, or if we will be expected to move our shields around during combat, or if its something else.

It really does not look like this game is ready for prime time, i took falling damage for "124312 integer damage %s". There are action bars that have jibberish in them, like collecting the stones on one of the first missions said "action description" or something silly. I also had an issue with graphic artifacts and rips until i messed around with the console settings (ctrl+`), but it still drives my system to its knees at some points.

There seems like there will be large sections where it will be a single player game, the destiny quest is listed as single player.

I think they tried to hard to get the graphics of a single player game, and left all the "fun" out of it.

19. The debug tool running in the background defintely can kill the game. At many points it just starts to lag constantly every few steps you take. Defintely needs alot more spit and polish but those kinds of things can usually be fixed in a month or so after release.

It defintely has a single player feel, which in many ways I like. But as an MMO it has that kind of Guild Wars\PSO feel when other players are nothing but a constant blur of nobodies coming and going. Stopping to talk or get to know someone is pretty much impossible to do because of the pace of the game. Though the first 20-40 levels I think its supposed to be like this, it will still be hard to completely change the feel of the interface I think.

I hate the chat window, hopefully it can be customized better.

I know were missing a ton of stuff that comes later in the game and what the main focus will be, which is hopefully good pvp. I'm not totally sold on the combat either, I do like it more than just auto-attacking but we'll see.