1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Age of Conan Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Sentrosi, 22 Apr 2008.

1. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    They are making a bad move limiting the level to what, 13 or something? foolishness :lol:

2. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

From what ive been reading here and from other forums I might just hold out tell warhammer :p

Do you have to be a paying subscriber at fileplanet to get into this beta ? Im already paying for 4 monthly accounts as it is I realy dont want to sign up for that to play a broken beta :p Like anything else ill give it some time to wait and see. Ive been browsing various forums it sounds like warhammers miles ahead of connan right now, and I think warhammer still has another 4-6 months planed if im not mistaken.

3. My problem with War is I palyed a cpl years of DaoC and years of WoW. Which is what it looks like they are trying to combine, the quest and game play of WoW with DaoC's pvp.

4. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

Just currious how you find that to be bad ? Daocs endgame aspects of pvp were outstanding, but it was lacking in friendly/polished interface and controll system. Basicly it was not very friendly to new players much like eve, but the guts of its content made it awesome.

Wow on the other hand has a very easy to use control system, a pretty and easily customizable interface, lots of fun little things that make it noob friendly and easy to get into. On the other had it has very little in the way of meaningfull endgame other then gridning for months to get slightly better gear every patch/expansion either thorugh pvp or figuring out prescripted PVE events wich got old and repetative half ways through SSC/TK for me.

So combine the two and imo youl have a great game.

5. Rane

Rane DragonWolf

Besides the great pvp in DAoC i specifally liked the fact that player crafted gear was some of the best stuff in the game.

6. I didn't say it was bad, just that I've played both for a long time at this point. If they do a really good job and the classes are fun to play I am sure I'll still put in some time on it to possibly. But still I would like to play something that actually takes MMO's to a new level before I'm 65 and to old to keep up with the n00bs. :)

I'm still looking for a skill game instead of a point and clicker. It doesn't have to be mmofps. But something that it really comes down to the player being better than his opponent instead of just having better gear.

7. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

Really stupid question but where do I find my user name for the beta?

8. So far i can't say that I'm overly impressed either. I agree with Hamma that limiting the lvl progress to 13 is a bad move...but idk what their reasons are.

I kind of feel the opposite of Sentrosi on this one I guess. If I'm playing an MMO, I don't want to be removed from the rest of the players for any single moment that I'm logged in. I'm playing at least in part for community, for the MM of MMO. In that aspect EVE is ultimate, but sadly alone.

There are some good aspects to the game, such as the shield and combat concepts, but I've not been able to really test them out. Can you even use a shield by lvl13? IDK

I'll spend more time in the game, but that's some of my first impressions.

edit: This is, however, a beta. Things are still in process to some degree, despite the quickly arriving launch date. It is difficult to really have the patience to make it through the long load times to get to a game that lurches, freezes, has graphical glitches, crashes, and disconnects.

It seems to me, that Mortal Online is where I'd really want to be for another fantasy MMO. Sadly, its a minimum of a year away, prob closer to 2.

Last edited: 2 May 2008
  9. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    The load times for the Zones are unacceptable I think. However I am not entirely sure if it is due to the open beta process.. during the entire load the time HD is chugging telling me it's a local thing.

Even though this is beta it is an open beta - what we are seeing is pretty darn close to the final release product which is kind of disheartening, like Rubick said there seem to be alot of incomplete things :\

Anyway - agreed Aet - I will certainly mess with it more this weekend.

10. WarWolf

Updating drivers now, should be playing in a few. Impressions to follow :)

11. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Not impressed. Another MMORPG to me, except this one is a resource hog. Yeah, its beta, but I am getting tired of MMORPGs. Unless something really blazes about this one, I may have to pass.

12. WarWolf

Got to level 7 and I'm liking the game so far. Enough that I'm encouraged to see what comes at release.

13. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Got my herald all the way up to 13 by doing the Destiny quests. Now I'm wondering what to roll next? Assassin perhaps.

And from what I've been reading FunCom dropped the bomb big time on this open beta by releasing an older client for it. The spin is that FunCom released this version to keep the hackers from emulating the game.

From the interest (or lack of interest) this game has with CDL, we're probably NOT going to start up a division for it. But those who are interested in still playing this game, please PM me for some details.

14. WarWolf

I started a hand too, next for me is a Barbarian I think.

15. Open beta slots now available on Fileplanet for non-subscribers I think.

I've cancelled my pre-order for now. So dissappointed its sickening. I'll continue to pop in during beta see how it improves and see what the launch is like but so far I don't feel it. Couldn't play for more than 5-6 minutes all weekend before game would just go into constant lag spikes.

16. WarWolf

I'm getting disconnected fairly often but the lag spikes aren't that bad. I see a few of them but for the most part I've had fun playing the game. I like the differences between the classes, Hand vrs Barb is a way different feel. And the climbing aspect has a real nice feel to it.

17. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    It has gotten a little frustrating. Yesterday I started a Dark Templar and had just started my destiny quest series when I found myself swimming under Tortage. I /petitioned it and shortly after got a GM to transport me back to Tortage. I wanted to get a feel for the Templar so I didn't start my Destiny quest series. Stayed dayside and started doing some side quests. Between starting a quest with no text and the 4 disconnects in a span of 5 minutes, I left.

One thing that sort of ran smooth for me was setting my processor affinity for the game. For those with multi-core CPUs, start the game and minimize when you can. Open Task Manager and right click on the Age_of_conan process, click "Processor Affinity" and it'll take you to a screen showing you Core0 thru Core3(for quad core procs). I set mine to Core0 and I didn't have as much stalling/lag issues as I usually had.

18. I just got an email from Funcom - they're going to lift lvl restrictions and open up the whole game world on the 10th. Any lvl13 char will be lvl'd to 20 and given lots of cash. Could be interesting.

19. I’m not playing beta so you guys are way ahead of me. Regarding server selection I’d vote for PVE. I could be wrong but from what I have read the Guild housing area in PVP can be raided and destroyed by other guilds (look at the Rhino mounts, they can destroy buildings). The PVE guild housing is kinda cool, when you start construction an NPC based guild housing construction begins across the way. The NPC housing, if not attacked periodically will build up sufficient resources to destroy your guild housing. The profession of an architect is needed to design building layouts and weapons for the guild housing. Lol, I wonder if epic furniture drops off instance bosses? Oh, you can also build Guild stores and sale to the general public.

Anyway, I think the guild housing is a cool feature of the game (I read a lot of this a while back, I hope its still in the game). As much as I love to PVP, I would hate to “mowed over” by mega guilds in this area. From what I have read, there are plenty of places to PVP on the PVE servers.