1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

APB - All Points Bulletin

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hamma, 18 Sep 2009.

1. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

Hopefully this isn't an announcement that happened after they shopped it around. Otherwise it will whither pretty quickly.

2. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Dang, hasn't even been 3 months, has it?

3. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Nope - but they have stated nothing will change for how APB is supported. Still though - yikes! hahaha

Seems like something was mismanaged prior to APB's release though, because APB still has folks playing its not like its dead.

4. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Kinda sad really. The game is fun and could've had great potential based on what they intended to do. It's still a little frustrating at times but like any game, you take it in stride and get used to quarks.

Oh well... sub runs out in mid September. Don't know if I'll keep it going especially if RTW goes belly up. Maybe someone with more vision and experience will take it on and make it the game it should be.

5. I don't really want to say I told you so, but it's kinda hard not to. APB does have great ideas and it may have had a bright future with a bit more polish, except that it sounds as if Realtime Worlds rushed it to release as a result of publisher-dominance. If they hadn't done so, it might've been a very different story.

6. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    RTW staffer account of the company falling apart

Interesting..

Looking to unseat WoW as the next big MMO thing or not, you think companies would take more care with the products they release.. There's no putting that genie back in the bottle once you release.. Once you go live you either tank or are forever playing catch-up, losing customers along the way, if your game isn't great.

A good MMO is 50% great idea 50% great execution.. Though even if it was mostly just great idea, you screw up the execution you flush the great idea down the toilet.

If anything that's why I look forward to SWtOR. Bioware is one of those companies that things would have to go catastrophically wrong before they'd release a crap game. It could happen, but it's unlikely. It may not be a ground breaking new concept, but it shouldn't trip over it's own shoelaces trying to get out the door..

It's a pity really because APB initially looked like an interesting game.. Though they lost me utterly when their PR mantra was about customization, and almost nothing on game play. It's like going in to buy a house that smells of new paint everywhere. My first thought isn't "this looks nice", it's "ok, what are you hiding that you don't want me to see?"

It doesn't surprise me at all that the bottom line for APB failing is about money in the end.

7. GraniteRok

Officer
    1.4 patch is out. Some big differences in gameplay. Matchmaking is still kind of a crap shoot but at least so far I've seen you're not grossly outnumbered, only at times, out-upgraded.

Biggest thing is there is no more choices on missions or APB's. You set yourself and group as ready then you get what's given to you. Could be APB's or a mission. Kind of like it, no more obvious lowbie stalking.

They've added recoil to weapons. Does make somewhat of a difference but not huge (or maybe I'm just getting better). I believe there's been some balance passes as well.

For myself, still up in the air whether I'll continue subbing. Might add one more month just so I can max out my character. It's still somewhat entertaining enough and a diversion until something good comes along.

8. Hamma

Officer
    Nice didn't realize that patch as so close. I need a granite calendar so we know when you are playing! :D

9. GraniteRok

Officer
    New patch tomorrow; 1.4.2

Highlights;
    Some more weapons balancing.
    Stabba CCG gets a nerf (actually is kind of OP with the last patch).

and!!!!!

"Pureskill" district ruleset!!!!! Mods have no effect! Toon or weapon for sure. Not sure about vehicle though. Now all that needs to be attended to is the rampant wall hack and aimbotter.

Sadly, still no fix for Enforcers non combat cash making. Crims can steal cars, raid stores and mug civies at their hearts delight without any opposition since the witnessing and bounty was removed in the 1.4.1 patch. May not really matter anymore... Most people are probably going to be on the pureskill districts.

Some talk about a "Chaos" district at some time. It's been asked for but don't know if it'll ever come. That would be fun though, open season cops vs crims! Pure PVP!

10. Hamma

Officer
    I saw this! Sounds sweet.

Jen and I are off to Boston for a few days over the next week but I suspect we will be in to try this out after :D

They need to fix the damn Pioneer as well!!

11. Asp

12. Hamma

Officer
    Holy Crap. :lol:

13. Hamma

Officer
    Wow.

This is amazing - the forums are even already closed.

I must admit we have seen MMO's die premature deaths before but this is just totally ridiculous. This is essentially 50$ totally wasted and their customers IMO should be refunded that money.

Especially for those who paid 3 month subs or something?

We knew they were undergoing bankruptcy but they said on numerous occasions they stated the game would continue to run. I guess they couldn't find a buyer?

The gaming golden age is over folks, its all about kiddies and unlocks now.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2010
  14. Asp

Officer
    .. and epics Hamma... sweet sweet epics.. :p

15. Hamma

Officer
    ban.

16. Hamma

Officer
    man, they already shut down the website. :rofl:

17. GraniteRok

Officer
    We knew it was to die at some point but this is absolute crap for zero warning. They posted a goodbye on their website... European one... and that the servers are up for the time being. Must by Europe there too as the North American website and game servers have completely vanished.

These morons should be racked, drawn and quartered, neutered, impaled on a stake, dowsed in oil and pitch, covered in feathers and set alight. I would've added lobotomized but it's obvious they already were to create such an epic fail.

18. Hamma

Officer
    haha, I second that.

Yep - all of their services are completely offline. Their company website, all APB websites and apparently now their entire game server infrastructure.

This is indeed total bullshit - we have seen MMO's fail many times but this one.. this takes the cake.