1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

arghh quick pc help :p

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Doomhawk, 23 Nov 2004.

1. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

Ok making this quick and sloppy cause i want to go pickup WoW before i need to go to work :p

So i just bought parts to build a new pc with... mobos an MSI K8N neo2.. hooked up my old HD/floppy/cd in my old case (only new parts I didnt buy yet) Anyways I had just made a set of win2k bootup disk.. system skipped right over the boot disk (light came on then off as normal, just didnt read it at all) then booted from the HD (well tried to boot, the via chipset drivers from the old mobo wont let it I dont think).

Everythings was fine in the bios to boot from the disk drive even removed its access to boot from the HD. used the cable the MSI shipped with. the pins are correct, i even tried swapping them on the floppy drive end for the heck of it(fliping the cable, mobo end only fits one way of course). I tried a floppy drive from an old 486 i had here also.. both drives showed up in the bios, After that i tried using the cable my Abit KT7 raid board shipped with. it has a couple of differnt pins.. same again.. Then i tried using my basic dos bootup disk ive used for the last 4-5 years.. wouldnt read that with either drive.

so im pissed off now and rebuilt the old system back into this case barebones real quick.. tried using the MSI cable on this mobo (maybe not a good idea ? and the drive did the same booting up (skiped right over the floppy and booted from the HD), Then the disk wouldnt read in windows, and would say it needed formated, wich it would then hang up on... swapped back to the other cable and have the disk formated now..

Only thing I think to try now is to make the boot disk again but start out using the KT7 boards cable on the MSI, but im tired of swapping cables and shit right now... and im not sure using the old cables that good of an idea on that mobo ? so far using the msi cable disk have been screwed up booting and unable to read/format on either mobo..

Any other ideas besides that ? or maybe my disk drives are just ancient and wont work with that mobo ? ;p one from the 486 is well realy old, the other is maybe 5-6 years old

2. aHA!!! ive had that problem....i wonder how i got things to work? i remember at one point i just didn't use a floppy at all...booted from cd.....hhhrrrrmm...and i think i changed something in my bios....my little brother walked me thru it on the phone but ill be damned if i can remember....sorry doomy....you don't need WoW anyway....k?

<3

3. Sometimes in the bios settings there is something called a "boot order". The boot order is the order where computers look for the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to boot from.

Check the bios menu on startup and look for the boot order settings.

4. krewg for the win! (notice no teh? ;) )

5. Yeah make sure the boot order is right, and can't you boot to CD in Windows 2000 to reinstall, I don't think you need boot disks.