1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hamma, 20 Nov 2009.

1. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Yeah, I saw this the other day. I didn't read that the footage was from a console or PC. Looks good plus they aren't ripping dedicated servers from us. The language is definitely NOT for the faint of heart but I will be interested to see how this plays on the PC. Hope its not a crappy port to PC product.

2. Ya i'll prob be getting it.

3. Sentrosi

Officer
    I'm going to wait and see, but if I do get it, it will be an honor to fight beside you again Shads :)

4. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    I think they are going to have a beta iirc :D

5. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I just hate EA servers/lobbies though. But, I may have to check this one out, assuming they don't yank dedicated servers out.

6. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    Looking forward to trying this out.

And I seem to remember reading somewhere, DICE remembers it's core roots of PC gamers and wouldn't dare think of pulling dedicated servers.

7. Hamma

Officer
    Yep :D

Dice announced their support for ded servers when all those shenanigans went down

8. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Big maps, and vehicles again, looks pretty good so far..

Gameplay Panama

9. Hamma

Officer
    Caught this video last night as well, not looking to shabby. :brow:

PC Beta is supposed to be coming up iirc.

10. Manitou

Okay, that actually looked fun. I am interested.

11. Eww that does look like fun.

12. Hamma

Officer
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yet ANOTHER strike at the heart of PC gaming. DICE talked alot of shit when Infinity Ward raped PC gamers with no dedicated servers, now they turn around and screw them anyway. :lol:

Oh well.. at least most of us were around when gaming was good.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  13. Manitou

Pretty sad. In my opinion this can basically be traced back to the lame cheater who made the first "aimbots", interpolates, etc, or used specific cheats in early games that gave them the unfair edge.

Gaming has been tainted with the foul smell of these people and now the birds have come home to roost, even upon those of us who gamed legitimately.

Its sad, really, that those who couldn't play by the rules have changed PC gaming so much.

14. Sentrosi

Officer
    While cheaters are a part of the problem, the bigger issue is that DICE wants to police it's game. That's fine. But when Tribes and Tribes 2 came out, who did the majority of the policing? The server admins. You quickly found out which servers didn't put up with shenanigans like aimbots and cheats. Because the admins were actively monitoring them. And by monitoring the servers, Dynamix had off-loaded a huge majority of post-release responsibilities to the end user.

Like it should be.

If I get into an accident today because I failed to stop at a stop sign, do I get a chance to sue GM because they didn't provide me the necessary tools to make me see the stop sign? I probably could try, but I would fail miserably in court. That's what DICE and Infinity Ward are pretty much assuring won't happen on their 'monitored' servers.

Yeah, right. Gots me a bridge over Lake Champlain I'd like to sell you too.

15. Didn't they basically do the same thing with Battlefield 2 & 2142 ranked servers?

16. Think So, i'll still be getting it , looks like a blast!

17. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    What Infinity Ward did was retarded.. why? Because I've been playing MW2 on the 360, which can't have dedicated servers the same way PCs can; and their matchmaking is a patchwork, clunky, buggy mess..
    What DICE are doing is little different than they did for their previous games, except that they aren't letting you run a server on your machine at home.
    Fact of the matter is, during BF2 (and BF2142 for me) I only ever played on servers like Trinity and the like anyway. Most of the one off servers were crap or couldn't handle 64 people.
    You may not remember it, but the majority of the playing you guys did in BF2 was on servers like that, or on the one we'd rented for a while.

I'm not reading anywhere in there that you can't admin the server you rent, only that you can't mod it. Ultimately I can't remember playing on a modded server for any BF game since BF1942 and those were serious conversions.

As soon as you throw in all those upgrades and achievements tied to 'time spent playing' and ingame statistics, I can see why the devs want to keep things secure.
    There's already cheating all around in MW2 on the xbox.. "Severs" or game sessions you end up in with unlimited ammo, and no reload and score limits set into the thousands. So all you do is rack up a disgusting number of kills, and rank up in a matter of hours rather than days. Primarily possible because in MW2 one of the players IS the server for a time, without IF or Microsoft policing the game at all. One little "serverside hack" is all it takes, which is sad.

About the only negative I see here is that, for example, Hamma wouldn't be able to personally host a server for us. I can't say that bothers me all that much. I'm interested in the game because many of us can all play together again, at something that isn't WoW. I was never excited about it because we might be providing a server resource for the community.

Though if you want to rent a server, I'd certainly chip in, if we were taking it seriously.

my $0.04

18. Hamma

Officer
    Yea you guys are right, they did this somewhat similar in the past.

The bullshit part of it is that you have to rent a server from an "authorized" provider. (Unlike in the past it was either or) Which means instead of paying zero dollars like we do for every other game server are are now shelling out probably at least $30/mo if not more so EA can get their piece of the pie and we as gamers can get "Achievements" (Which are the lamest thing to hit FPS games evar it would be nice if games required skill instead of unlocks nowaday ) which is just an excuse for companies to make more $$. Even still, this is still better than what IW did with matchmaking and peer to peer.

So it is similar - I'm sure when you get a server you admin it. It's just that this crap is killing modding communities and stuff which makes PC gaming great, PC gaming should be different. I mean look at what custom maps and modding has done for Company of Heroes which has been out for some time.

It's more of a general rant at gaming. I hate where gaming is going and every little announcement like this pisses me off a little bit more :lol:

I certainly however intend to at least try this especially in beta and see what its like for the same reasons as you Asp to hopefully all play together again. As long as beta doesnt end up requiring pre-orders yet another money grab I've seen recently.. yea pay to test a game.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2010
  19. Manitou

So, the Manitou Cliff notes version:

Playing with CDL = win, fun, excellent, cool, l337
    Cheaters = suck, butt, llama, lose, poopy