1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

ChaCha!

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by DonkeySmiler, 29 Jul 2008.

1. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

It seems like I am the CDL resident poor person who is always looking for ways to make money online ;) Sadly, Moola stopped being so lucrative, so I had to find other means. It was around that time I happened upon ChaCha:

https://www.chacha.com/

ChaCha is a text based service that people use to ask questions with their cellphones. Amazon has a similar service, but they use a private firm and will charge you for using their service.

You can work as a guide and answer the people's questions. You make $.20 per question answered. I average around $10 an hour, but I am also doing my "real" job at the same time, so I imagine I could make more if I concentrated just on ChaCha.

If you do try to become a guide, please enter may.276@gmail.com as your referral so you end up on my team.

If you have any questions let me know. If you think I am crazy, feel free to let me know that as well :D

Oh and even if this isn't of interest to you, feel free to use the ChaCha service for fun. It is free. Just send a text question to 242242 and maybe i will be the one answering it! :)

Last edited: 1 Aug 2008
  2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    You're crazy!!!

That's pretty cool though may have to look into it :lol:

3. DonkeySmiler

Indeed I am! :eek:

Yeah, I just wish I had heard about it when it first came out. When I first did it about a month ago I did like $100 a day and got burned out pretty fast. Now I just do around $25.

4. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

Uhhh, id be currious to do this just to see what kind of totaly random questions id get :p What keeps you from giving wrong answers, or just responding with something totaly unrelated ? Or maybe I just dont understand wtf the whole things about :p

5. DonkeySmiler

You have to provide a source site for each question you answer, and you are not allowed to use wiki or one of those question sites where anyone can answer like yahoo questions.

Apparently, they are fairly strict with their guidelines and won't hesitate to "fire" a bad guide. They frequently monitor answers.

As for the types of questions you receive....... Only like 1 out of ten questions is of any real value. The other nine are usually extremely stupid. We are talking young folks whose parents have bought them a cellphones with unlimited texting..... not that I am complaining. Most of these questions have no real right answer and they can be bs'd quick which means more money for me.

They vast majority of the stupid questions include: Horoscopes, Sexual questions, who is *insert name*, relationship advice, asking for jokes, asking about ChaCha.

Oh btw, for anyone that wants to give this a try, take the application process seriously. One of my coworkers didn't get accepted today because he was a smart ass and thought he could just speed through it (And there are no re-tries). And it should be noted that you are considered a independent contractor working for ChaCha, that means you will have to pay taxes on the money you make.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2008
  6. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

Hmm interesting, I guess I just dont understand the world. If they have time enough to monitor alot of the answers you give, why not just answer the questions themselves ?

And no wiki ? how else do we learn anything on the internets ! oh well, maybe if im realy bored sometime ill try it out. Ill probably just answer 1 or 2 questions then get pissed off next year when I have to do more taxes to pay the goverment 10 cents :p

7. DonkeySmiler

I doubt they monitor as much as they would like people to believe. I personally have never gotten an email from them on something I have done wrong..... and I'm sure I have not met the guidelines at all times. On the really stupid questions I usually respond with even more stupid answers.

As for answering themselves, it would probably take way more people then they are prepared to hire on site. A couple Sundays ago they got over 250,000 questions sent in. Every hour I was getting spammed with emails from them asking people to help with the high volume.

But yeah, I need to remember to not spend all the money so I can cover the taxes.

8. DonkeySmiler

So yeah, I had the wrong referral name in the first post. You would have to enter may.276@gmail.com. I learned this the hard way with Cyrus who is now happily making $25 a day :mad:

9. So do you like login to a system and start pulling questions out of a queue or does it just start sending them to you in email?

How do you provide a source site for the dumb questions?
    Do they pay you weekly with a check or something?

I may give it a try, just not sure how much work to expect. 99% of my day is spent trying to stay awake and surfing forums/blogs/news sites so got plenty of time.

10. DonkeySmiler

Yeah, you login in to a system and a a pop-up will come up when a question is available. You can either hit accept or pass. Sometimes when you wait too long and hit accept, it will have already been taken by another guide. Once you accept a question it is yours to answer.

For stupid questions like "will sara marry me?!?!!?!?" I just link a teen relationships site.

There are two payment options. You can get paid monthly through direct deposit (must get $100+), or you can have an account opened through a bank in Indiana where you get a debit card. With that you can choose to be paid whenever, but there is a $2 fee to have the money deposited.

Yeah, you should give it a shot, but just to warn you, there is some drama going on in the world of ChaCha right now and no one is sure how it will pan out.

11. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    :lol:

Nowhere is safe from drama heheh

12. Ah, I'll wait for the drama to clear up. Hate to do a bunch of work for a month and then not get paid for it or something.

13. DonkeySmiler

I doubt you wouldn't get paid, but they are implementing a "pay for performance" hierarchy. You need to be a top guide (answer at least 300 queries and have an accuracy rating above like 95%) for the week to earn the $.20/question for the following week. Failure to do this results in only getting paid $.10/question. While I have been a top guide for as long as I have done it (it is kind of easy, just need to have good spelling/grammar and provide "accurate" answers), I don't like the idea of having the threat of slipping down to $.10 looming over my head. I refuse to do it for only 10 cents per question.

Most of the people are upset over the 300 question requirement a week because they don't have the time to do that many. I usually do around 125 a day, so not a big deal for me.

When the new system gets implemented (august 14th) I bet quite a few guides quit doing it.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2008