1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

civ 4

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Firez, 24 Oct 2005.

1. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    I know Red and I will be getting it, I'm already planning his untimely destruc-- err I mean alliance!!!

2. I'm getting it for my wife so she'll never know about the gir.... I mean the.... um oh hell, I'll never see her at night now. ;)

3. i've been playin the tar out of civ 3 lately so i'll deffinetly be picking this up.

I found out that it makes a great gateway game for my roomates :rawr:

4. i'll tell ya what.. this sure is a refreshing update. I am still getting a hang of the new system in my first basic game, but it is neat!

5. Asp

Officer
    I haven't picked it up yet because I'd read there's a lot of problems with ATi card owners atm. Patch should be out soon, but I think I'll avoid the frustration line and wait until the game should work well on my machine.

6. i have an 256 ati radeon 9800 pro and it runs without a hitch. Bumped it to 1600x1200 too.

the main problem i have with the changes of the games so far is that it was going by entirely too fast. I was getting a tech ever other turn and there were tons of buildings to make.

right now i am running a campaign at the slow speed to see if it will drag out a little longer between techs and its better. also ive only played on the 2 lowest difficulties so that may be why its so fast

Last edited: 28 Oct 2005
  7. *begins researching Iron Working*

8. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I am really enjoying this game. But I have a few questions:

1) When I do a custom game and try to select only 2 opponents by closing the rest, when the map creates, it always populates all the computer players instead of the two I have selected. How do I fix that?

2) How do I get to space? I see all the tech to get there and have researched it, but not sure how to build it.

Overall I am loving this game. I like that my units gain experience and can be promoted. It makes them more valuable to me in keeping them alive rather than just throwing them into a senseless slaughter. I also like the culture aspect where I can win over cities just by increasing my civilization's culture and watching my influence surround a foreign city and they then rebel and join my country. That is so fun!

9. Rane

Rane DragonWolf

Picked up a copy 2 days ago and have been lovin it.

10. I'll have to get back to you on that
    you don't actually "get" into space. Its considered a space victory -- the first to launce a fully constructed space ship. you have to build the apollo project to be able to start building a space ship.

11. Asp

Officer
    Well played my first game last night with Red and a friend of his. I can see I've got a lot of learnin' to do to catch back up.. At the end, Red's friend was well on his way to space, but the only way he could be stopped is if we banded together for a full on assault.. Unfortunately my Galleons lost some of their threatening appeal once I saw his naval Destroyers pass my coastline. Not sure my War Elephants would have stood up to his Abrams tanks..

Be interesting to have a huge multiplayer game.. Long as that would be.

12. Manitou

Yes, this game is consuming me!

I was playing with all these AI guys. The Japanese guy began intruding on land that was mine by right, so I demanded a gold tribute. Being ignorant to his position, he refused, so I rightfully declared war to establish my unalienable rights to that land. Utilizing the classic pincher move I chopped off two of his cities in exacting my price for his disobediance. I also noticed his people were and had been suffering under peasant conditions because of his terrible rule. The invasion was justified surely!

Later, as he began to establish more of his cities again too close to mine, I was motivated to once more free his people from their life of backward development. This time, using a divide and conquer method of battle, I am currently slicing up his petty resistance to allow his people freedom to prosper under my most excellent rule. I am even now still in the process of this war.

13. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

Damn you all...... I think I will have to pick this up :mad: ;)

*edit - think it will work with an ati 9700pro?

Last edited: 1 Nov 2005
  14. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    This thread is making me want it too. :mad:

15. Asp

Officer
    You could in theory have an 18 player CDL competition, though I imagine It'd take a while..

16. Manitou

I have the 9800 Pro, and it works just fine.

17. Manitou

It would be fun, but I always get owned by Arg and Kai in these games. :lol:

18. lol ok install it now when get home. Now i have too split time between WoW, CoV, EvE, and Civ, and almost forgot BF2 ouch quit it my head hurts already. Ill be online tonight if anyone wants to get a game going and show me the ropes.

19. Asp

Officer
    Don't worry Mani, I'll put my musketeers and war elephants in the way of their jets and tanks.. Cover your escape..