1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

civ 4

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Firez, 24 Oct 2005.

1. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Dunno if you can restart the game Donkey but you can definitely save it if you want and restart whenever.. Even save a copy of another game you're in and finish it by yourself offline if you want.

You password your civ, so that if you leave the game and someone else comes in they have to take over an AI civ, not take yours.

"Jeez, I go away for 10 minutes, come back, and my borders were open, all my units disbanded, and I've somehow declared war on every other Civ!!!"

2. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

Mani and I just experimented with multiplay. Some things we learned:

We couldn't figure out how to start a direct connect game because we are both behind firewall/routers, so we just used their little in-game (gamespy:mad: ) tool. It actually worked out nicely.

This may already be common knowledge, but it took Mani and I a few to catch on - you need the alphabet technology (after writing) to be able to trade technologies to one another. Also to even talk to each other you must somehow find them on the map to make the initial connection.

You can save multiplayer games and restart them, a nice feature indeed! With this in mind.... maybe we could have a long running CDL game where if someone couldn't make it, they could give their side's password and someone else could fill in (instead of having the ai take over). And it might help our sanity to not have to juggle ok what was I doing in the game with mani and tb or the game with asp and mani or tb and asp and and and haha you get the drift. So just have one overarching CDL game and when that one ends we could start a new one.

Oh and we also learned mani had like 5 more tech and 10 more cities by the time I had 3 cities.... I have some learning to do :p

Last edited: 2 Nov 2005
  3. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    You can put the game on a team mode too donkey, so that you and Mani were allied, and share tech (even team up to get tech faster), and can share resources through trading, as well as sharing your map. Its a permanent alliance so you can't stab each other in the back. Makes learning easier.. I learned more last night with Red in our alliance game than I did alone against some AI and players who pretty much left me alone in my first game.

Also if you don't password your Civ in the game anyone can take it over, so if you drop and I take over your Civ I just pick the one you were playing and continue on. Of course if you come back and I'm still there, you'llhave to pick one of the AI Civs.

4. DonkeySmiler

ooo alliance, that sounds good... would have made things allot easier :p

5. cool.. looks like there is a lot of interest in this game. A few other cool things I would like to add about civ is that you can use custom scenarios or play on a map of the world. One of my favorite things to do in civ 3 was play the mideval times special campaign or to start a new game on the large world map.

I will be out of the house until sunday but once I return and find time to play I will hop on TS and see if i can play or help. I guess you can call me a civ vet.

6. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Okay, so we gave it a shot last night - Shads, Donkey, BlackDrop, Hamma, and myself.

Shads was king of the seas pumping out boats for naval warfare. Donkey was a city creating maniac. Hamma was struggling at first with his city getting fed but once he figured it out, he was supplying troops to me and Donkey as we led the march on the Egyptians. They had encroached on BD's land and seeing the potential issues that could bring, we declared war and invaded.

So far we have taken one city in our combined effort, and are now marching to cut off the southern section of the Egyptian lands from the north to establish a permanent defensive line from which to work. We will probably then head south and deal with that area first, then rest for a bit to regroup before we start the northern campaign.

Lots of fun!

7. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Yea finally figured out how to actually grow my city. :lol:

8. I was struggling with that as well Hamma. I didn't realize until we were almost finished up that you could double click on your city and set parameters - doh!

This is the first time I've played a game like this. Civ is a nice break from the FPS and RPG's. I can't wait to get home and expand my kingdom. :rawr:

I've got volleyball tonight from 8:30 to 10pm but I'll try and log on before and after.

***EDIT***
    I almost brought the bible thick instruction manual to work today so I could figure out what the hell I am doing. I'll probably troll around the intraweb for tips.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  9. Manitou

The game is lots of fun, albeit a bit slow with this many human players. But Shads hit the nail on the head last night: while waiting for turns to be taken and deciding what to do, we all five just chatted and enjoyed the company of good friends. We cracked jokes, made fun of Shads' newest city called "Elephant Poo" and listened as we discovered new things to do with our lands and our cities. We worked carefully to make sure we were not duplicatiing efforts on technology and we rushed to help teammates if needed. We waited for the occasional civilization ratings screen to pop up and tell us how good or lame we were - it wasn't funny when I was "-CDL-Manitou the Puny" :mad: but it was funny when Hamma was "-CDL-Hamma the Insignificant" :lol:

It was good stuff. :)

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  10. At this stage I don't mind it being that slow with the taking of turns because I can think a bit more about what I am doing and I have more time to figure out what moves to make next. I am a noob so it's nice to slowly figure out the game with everybody.

I didn't realize when I placed my city surrounded by the mountains last night that there was a tile opened. Those dirty barbarians cut through this opening nestled between the picturesque mountains, conquered and burned BD's Bordello to the ground. I then took up arms and sent in my most trusted unit, "The Barbarian Beaters" and slayed them all while gaining experience for my warrior unit. I mounted their heads in effigy outside the newly freed BD's Bordello for all those that may think about repeating the Barbarians actions.

11. Hamma

Officer
    :mad:

Hamma the Hopeless was my favorite :lol:

12. Donkey how were you so efficient in pumping out those cities?

13. DonkeySmiler

I just made allot of settlers right form the start. I've been trying to read the manual (lol it is an interesting concept - actually learning how to play, something I've never tried before :p ). It has some great info I never knew like the further away from the capital a city is the more it suffers from corruption penalties. Also land improvments are only utilized in the spaces on the city map..... I was under the assumption any improvements in the sphere of culture were used, but that is not the case.

Can't wait to strike up a new game with everybody!

14. Fun Fun

Was ablast last night , hopefully we can finish the game monday. Im up for starting a new one tonight or this weekend.

Shads

15. DonkeySmiler

We should try the map "Inland_sea". It looks cool cause it is land surrounding a big body of water..... so naval warfare will play a part, but not be necessary.

16. Hamma

Officer
    Everytime I created Settlers it seemed to take like 120,000 turns :mad:

17. Manitou

Well, if you would feed your people, maybe they could work! :lol:

18. Hamma

Officer
    :mad:

Food is overrated. There were a few people complaining they were hungry or some crap, I just destroyed them

19. You have to feed these people? How the hell do you do that?

20. Manitou

Typically its all figured into the support of the city through the building of a granary, aquaduct, and other food increase buidlings, BD. Your city growth is very dependant upon your ability to support new people.

To me it is critical to automate the workers because they will always take the path of greatest increase and least time. Plus this allows you to focus on building projects for your city and what technology to research.

The more cities you have stablished, the quicker your civilization grows as well due to interconnecting roads that supply goods from city to city.