1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

civ 4

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Firez, 24 Oct 2005.

1. So grab a worker and a settler in the beginning. Automate worker and he will run around and do what needs to be done. Set settler to build more cities. Bang out more workers, set to automate and they build necessary life bringing and surviving items for your cities that are popping up while you build an army that will take over the continent.

I noticed that after my settler erected a city, they disappeared. Were they in the city? How do I populate my city? Can I seperate the settler from the city so they can build me another city or do I have to put a settler in the que?

2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Have to build more settlers :x

3. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    I can see it now.. The rest of the allied countries prosper and grow culturally, while in "Hammaville" its a polluted slum on the brink of starvation?? :lol:

Started my own single player campaign too for a goof yesterday..
    On turn 20 I rushed Saladin, and wiped out the Arabian empire before it could expand (we shared the same island as a starting area).. I captured Mecca and later converted it to Judaism when I got religion rolling.. Ahh the irony! :rofl:

Be interesting if you could play 4v4v4v4, with 2 player teams 2 AI teams and possibly 2 independent Civs.. I haven't screwed around much with the server settings but if you can do that sort of thing, multiplayer game combinations could be endless..

4. As far as the multiplayer goes...

We started a campaign yesterday and placed it on hold until Mani gets back on Monday. Can Asp or whomever jump in with us and grab an AI that has been going - like that annoying girl that you guys invaded yesterday?

What if I can't log on tonight and 5 Dragon Wolves start another multiplayer campaign, can I jump in on Saturday and take over an AI when these Dragon Wolves are in game again?

5. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

Yeah if we start one tonight we can just put some ai's into our alliance so when you can play you can just take them over.

6. Awesome! I'll most definitely be looking for DW's to join up with when playing Civ 4.

7. Ill be around tonight , what time are we starting tonight?

8. Asp

Officer
    As long as none of you lock your Civ with a password, anyone can play your Civ if the game has started up again. It is run by an AI until someone does.

You could technically have many Civ games saved waiting to be continued.

We had a nice one last night with Red and some of his friends.. It took forever because one of his friends is HORRIBLE for micromanaging everything and keeping people waiting, at far too early a point in the game.

By the time we saved it we were just then going to war. Which takes a long time all by itself.

Not sure if I have the stamina to continue that game at the pace it was going at.

So a Civ ettiquette tip would be, to be considerate of other players. Have your workers on auto, and minimize the micromanaging, it really doesn't help you THAT much anyway. Once the wars begin turns will get long all by themselves. No need to drag it out when you're just a couple of fishing villages and some archers.

9. Anyone that ever starts a game...save me an AI spot please!:)

10. DonkeySmiler

We were thinking of trying out the turn timer because have the time people would just forget to end their turn.... so maybe setting it at like 1.5 mins would work out.

11. Asp

Officer
    2 minutes is usually good (you'll need more time when you're fighting).. Its only bad when people take the whole 2 minutes and do very little (i.e. micromanaging before you've even met another Civ)

12. I just got the game friday...

OK..I have some time to day top spend learning this game..Ill be lookin for peeps to conquer..If someone could slip me the password for the Civ4 section of TS Ill be hollering at ya.

Lookin forward to seeing you all.

13. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    think the pass is cdlownsall or honor4all

unless its been changed again :)

14. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

TB and I played a little last night. It was fun! The barbarians were very active in this game. They sent wave after wave to my villages and if it hadn't been for the heroic efforts of my troops, the screaming hordes of filthy barbarian soldiers would have overrun me!

Me and TB were at either end of the map and every time we tried to reach each other the barbarians killed our emmisaries.

We had to stop as soon as we found each other. I was owned by Mrs. Mani! :eek:

15. Work has gotten really busy for me and is running me pretty ragged...but I think I can jump in and play for a bit tonight.:rawr:

16. Rane

Rane DragonWolf

I still havent tried the online version of the game yet but when I do I want to play with some CDL. Can anyone tell me how to get in a game with other guildies?

17. DonkeySmiler

Hop on TS and see if anyone is in the civ 4 channel..... this game requires a bit of a time commitment, so if no one is in the channel it probably means no one is playing atm. When you do find people in there, ask them for the game's IP and you can connect through multiplayer -> direct connection option. If the game has already been started you can just take over an AI.

18. I will have to drop by!

19. DonkeySmiler

We have run into a bit of an annoyance in the games lately..... the game either becomes entirely too easy, or way too hard. Is there an option to have permanent alliances, yet it won't share research advancements? THat may be an option to check out.

Some scenarios: If we do 3 cdl in an alliance versus 3 seperate AIs, we end up becomming way more advanced than the AI and we can walk right through them (still takes some time, no real danger involved which is pretty boring.

If we do 3 cdl in an alliance versus 3 AIs in an alliance, the AIs end up becomming way too much for us to take down.

We've also found that having AIs as teammates in an alliance is pretty worthless..... they will sit back and watch as the enemy rolls through your town.

There has to be a happy medium..... maybe we can fool around game difficulties or something.

20. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Maybe do 4 AI with two and two allied?