1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Rayzer, 20 Mar 2006.

1. Played it all day long and had lots of fun...i may redo my character- not sure my custom class skill set is optimal. But definately had fun. Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean voice acting is pretty decent - and I was suprised to hear Bean's voice.

2. ya, I played some more just running around and discovering dungeons. The quick travel feature is quite nice if you dont want to run around all the time. You can just run around discovering dungeons on horseback (If you don't mind a little spoiler and want a horse pm me for quick advice on how to get a free one early) And then after you find all of the dungeons you can zap straight to each of them one after the other and then port to town and back anytime you want.

Since my character was released from prison he has been a part of a grand quest and has also set on several adventures of his own. He is a Nord Hammersman who wields a mean silver warhammer and a full steel armor set at the moment. He dispises all magic users (especially creatures of magic like imps) and bandits but respects fellow warriors who train in the art of melee combat. He prefers raw power than enchated weapons or effects but will wield a magical item if it has a frost attack or fire defence (a gift from his ancesters). He is also a treasure hunter and aspiring merchant trader. He has visited the Arena a couple of times and wishes to one day compete after he becomes a seasoned warrior.

3. Well I love the game EXCEPT one thing, it crashes 100000000% of the time that i'm playing either my whole system to just the game, and i guess a ton of other people are having the same problem, wonderful game loved it since i played morrowind elderscrolls. and the game play got 1000 times better, but the tech suppport is about the same :(

4. Its running pretty nice for me. This may be the first game that I could actually use a graphics upgrade for as my X800 XT PE is doing a good job but it could be better. Would also like to try that HDR out.

Make sure you set your in game res to the same as your windows res. If your using an ATI card the new Omega drivers are supposedly good. Check some of the tweak guides on the net.

Not sure if I'm going to stick with my Orc Crusader, but so far he's getting the job done.

5. That sux about the crashing... I've been able to run it fine...except when i try to set the resolution to the same as my desktop; without fail it will crash while trying to load @ 1280x1024. I've got to run it in 1024x768. Otherwise i've got all the settings crancked + HDR w/my 6600Gt and it runs great.

6. symen

symen DragonWolf

I like it a lot so far. They took the melding of FPS and RPG a little farther than they did in Morrowind, and it's a lot of fun. Magic is a lot more effective than it was previously, too -- a pure mage is actually viable (and fun), where it was fairly difficult to play in Morrowind.

I really like the atmosphere of the game -- it has the feel of a classic RPG, especially in the dungeon crawls.

The game world is beautiful, though my graphics card (ATI X600) is a bit weak to fully experience it. With a small amount of tweaking, I got decent performance while still looking good, though, so there's no real need for me to get a newer graphics card.

The game has never crashed on me (CrawlingKane, you might look into heat issues -- I've heard of the game overheating graphics cards). I only found one bug, which was fairly nasty -- my FPS would drop to unplayable levels at the start and end of combat. It turned out that there's some problem with switching music tracks to and from battle music, so a simple fix was to rename the folder Data\Music\Battle to something else. Music doesn't play while in combat, but that's not a big deal to me.

I don't like the fast travel feature at all, it feels like cheating. It was easy to mod out, though. The sleep system is a bit annoying, you can't sleep just anywhere anymore -- a bed is required. A "portable bedroll" mod may be in the works depending on how much it bothers me and on whether it annoyed someone else enough that it's already done.

In summary, I think the game is amazing. I highly recommend it. :D

7. I got it for the PC and am having alot of fun, put like 8 hours in and have gotten pretty far in the main quest. I hate how all the Oblivian levels are so similar.

Kinda stupid that you can just stop and wait for hours in the middle of a dungeon and regain all your health. Put i do it anyways.

8. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Hmmmm...

9. Yea i've been messing with alot of things i'll try that resolution thing. i'll drop to 800x600 since my desktop is 1024x768, and my card is the 9800se which has overheating issues, and i'm making sure it doesn't hehe

i created my own custom class it's a warrior/restoration mage and it rules i beat everyone in the arena without any health dropping :)

Absorb health ftw

10. symen

symen DragonWolf

Nice -- I made my own class too. I call it a 'Shadowcaster', it's basically a combination of stealth and spellcasting. I went sneaking through a whole dungeon full of vampires at level 1 and only got hit a couple of times -- it's a lot of fun. :D

11. Wow the main quest was really short beat it at lvl 19

12. You've gotta spread it out man. Do guild quests and stuff too. :p

13. I did i beat the fighters guild too...

Started a new char though now.

14. symen

symen DragonWolf

Wow... I've played probably 20 hours already, and I've only gotten to level 2, and only made it a little bit into the main quest (I just closed the Kvatch Oblivion Gate). Of course, I haven't really been focused on leveling or questing -- my last 4-5 hours have been spent trying to find Ayleid ruins to collect the neat glowy stones in there. :)

15. Main quest? Whats this main quest you speak of? Thats whats so friggen awesome about the game. I've played it for 15 hours or so and I haven't done but dropped the first oblivion gate.

16. just bought it today we'll see how it is :-D i love rpgs and i loved morrowind

17. I would recommend downloading a few of the many mods out there.

Warning: Some of these WILL make the game more difficult. Also, the character and creature leveling mods will affect your ability to tackle the later level quests at an earlier stage, i.e. beating the main quest at lvl19 like Duff. The Bosses and champions are now actually tough, not just a dumbed down version that game makes so that you can kill it. On the other side of the coin however, you can make the game ridiculously easy for yourself. For some of the mods, especially oscuro's its highly recommended to necessary that you start a new character for the mods to work properly.

Overload Mod Pack: Full vers. w/textures for high end system

Has some good ones in there. There's a lite version w/out the textures, but I didn't see it at a quick glance.

Oscuro's Oblivion OverHaul:

Adjusts the creature leveling and drops to a more 'realistic' formula, i.e. no more poor bandits out there dropping Daedric armor. Gives the world a better, more realistic feel. Makes for a better sense of accomplishment as your character grows. You'll be able to wipe the floor with some of the mobs, but it can also create greater risk...you won't be able to kill everything you come across.

AFMod v.2.06: Character Leveling Mod
    Allows multiple approaches to character leveling, more reminicent of the earlier series titles. Your stats increase as you use the related skills, not requiring you to use a combination of skills that you may or may not rely on for your character to get the maximum x5 attribute boost on leveling. Certain options even allow you to max all your stats, whereas with the retail, you can't even come close to that. Offers balanced options or powerleveling if you so choose.

The Oblivion Mod Manager will allow you to test for mod conflicts and color codes results for you. Also, and perhaps just as importantly, obmm will allow you to manage the loading of the individual .esp files, so that if certain mods contain benign conflicts, you can prioritize which mod loads first and thusly, which mods data/scripts take precedence. A brand new version just came out yesterday. Also, the first thread from the official forums is here.

There are other character leveling mods, as well as other creature and item leveling mods available. New content mods, i.e. new areas with new quests, are also being released.Search around on some of the sites...

The Official Oblivion Mod Forum: well over 50 pages last i checked in the mod forums. can be hard to find just by browsing. try doing a forum search using "Relz" or just "rel" for mod releases.

The Elder Scrolls Source

The Oblivion Mod Wiki @ Tescrens.be: an attempt at a comprehensive mod listing w/links.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2006
  18. Thanks i will check them out.

Gonna start all over again.

19. Hope they make the game more enjoyable...with pretty much all of the mods i've come across, all you need to do to uninstall is stop loading the .esp file. There is at least 1 that i recall scanning the readme for, however, that had detailed instructions for preserving your savegames for an uninstall. So just be sure to look at the readmes before using. Also, not all will be compatible with each other.

Oblivion mod manager: delete link, see above edited post.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2006
  20. I am a Wood Elf assasin, I believe there is nothing wrong with killing someone if they look at me wrong. I am swift as the angel of death in killing. On my first day out from the beginning caves I broke into a gentleman's house to kill him for a book. When I slept that night I was confronted with a man in dark robes. He has assigned me to kill an old man in the town of Ill Omen. I was intrigued by the fact that this man snuck up to me without me knowing, so I decided to do the task to find out more. The man I was suppose to kill was asleep in his bed. I decided not to wake him and instead I shot him between the eyes with my steel arrow. I then proceeded to sleep in his bed *after i robbed him* and when I woke the man in the robes was there again. Now I have been accepted into the Dark Brotherhood and my life begins...