1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Rayzer, 20 Mar 2006.

1. If you accidently attack a good guy use the block key then you can talk to them after awhile

2. This game gives me motion sickness. I've played tons of FPS's so I can't figure it out for the life of me. It's almost funny at how sad this is.

I've read up on some other websites and have found other gamers that are in the same boat.

It could be a number of reasons:

*Low frame rate on your monitor (mine is at 80 so that isn't the problem)
    *The "glide" feel when walking instead of the runbob or walkbob that is featured in others games could be contributing to the motion sickness.
    *The constant zooming in and zooming out when talking to AI characters.

I've also found that with so much detail my eyes are constantly attracted to certain areas, items, characters on the screen...etc. when I am in movement or turning - this causes almost a dizzying effect.

I could turn down all of the high end settings...but what fun is that?

The game is fun but it leaves me with a nauseating feeling when I am in game now longer than 40 minutes.

This feeling stays with me for hours afterward.

It's not even worth playing for me. I would hope I'd start getting used to it by now.

Last edited: 7 May 2006
  3. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

4. I suffer from video game simulator sickness. :lol:

http://www.gamingillustrated.com/video_game_sickness.php

The game engine creates a complex environment, or Virtual Reality, where first person perspective changes at the touch of a mouse or cursor. But these "first person perspective" games generate frequent dramatic perspective changes while the body remains stationary. In the game, the "player" can quickly whip the image through 180 degrees of scenery.

The result is a first-rate case of "car sickness" - the most common effects of simulator exposure resemble the symptoms of motion sickness: general discomfort, drowsiness, pallor, sweating, nausea, and, occasionally, vomiting.

The exact cause or causes of simulator sickness is not known. However, a primary suspected cause is inconsistent information about body orientation and motion received by the different senses, known as the cue conflict theory. For example, the visual system may perceive that the body is moving rapidly, while the vestibular system perceives that the body is stationary. Inconsistent, non-natural information within a single sense has also been prominent among suggested causes.

5. Mebbe when Bethesda repackages all the games with the M rating they'll start including one of these in every box...

[​IMG]

6. Sputters

Sputters DragonWolf<br>Invisible Shorts<br>AKA Black DragonWolf

7. :rofl:

I was so annoyed last night I started playing around with my settings. I think I got it. I moved the mouse sensitivity so everything pans quicker. I noticed my eyes weren't getting caught up in the scenery as much.

It's hard to explain but it just felt right after I changed the settings.

Weird.

8. symen

symen DragonWolf

Do you use the first or third-person view? I tried out the third-person view for a while, and found the initial swing delay to be a bit disturbing. It can't be turned off in the options, so I made a mod that fixes it. If you're interested, I'd be happy to upload it. :)

9. I use the first person. I was switching in and out to delay the simulator sickness. :lol:

I think the constant reading in between all of this swinging around is getting to me as well. (I'm just trying to narrow down where this is all of a sudden coming from because like I said - I've played tons of FPS's)

10. very interesting about the the motion sickness BD. I have coined a phrase in my house mainly after observing my 9 year old son. When he plays too long on the computer (for a couple hours) he gets very red sore looking eyes, he becomes irritable, and grumpy, and is not pleasant to be around when you tell him to get off, that hes been on long enough. I've termed this Videoitis.

Theres is actually a whole new field of medicine developing from computer and video game related illness. :rolleyes: