1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

H1Z1

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hamma, 8 Apr 2014.

1. Also if anyone wants use this link to just see what Smedly is saying in response to the reddit, you can click the context link under his comments to see what he is replying to.

http://www.reddit.com/user/j_smedley

2. As much as I want a fully funded gaming studio to make a "DayZ" style game, I am extremely pessimistic about this game.

I do not appreciate SOE's decision to move on to this new FPS while leaving their current flagship FPS broken and unfinished. Hossin, Battle Islands, Continental Lattice, Resource Revamp, Class Evaluations, Spawn-camping-side, etc, etc, etc. Everytime I play I'm either getting camped in a spawn room, camping a spawn room or ghost capping. This never happened in the original game and it angers me more than it should. DO SOMETHING SOE. FIX YOUR SHIT. Nope, need another cash grab, release a dayz clone that will also be full of unfulfilled promises.

UPGRADE NOW!

That'll hold you over til the next Everquest.

/rant

3. While I kinda of agree, Smed explicitly stated in the reddit that no one from the PS2 dev team is moving or working on H1Z1 and that the PS2 team still (and will) be his largest team for the foreseeable future.

However my view on PS2 is that ship has sailed and no amount of fixing will ever draw back the amount of players (or myself) back to the game. AT this point I much prefer they just get the forgelight engine fully optimized as it still needs some work.

4. GraniteRok

GraniteRok Executive Officer Officer

Officer
    I hear ya there Waldo. We all had very high hopes and expectations for PS2. Sadly the lack of attention to bugs and the slower than snails addition to meaningful content made the game extremely frustrating. PS2, like the original Planetside, was a great game for large groups to be able to play at once. I'm hoping that H1Z1 has that same capability but is released with a 1000x more polish than PS2 had on release. Adding to this hope that H1Z1 isn't just another zombie/ganking game and they have something fresh and innovative in their approach to this already well used genre.

5. Smedley talks H1Z1's map size, population density
    by Jef Reahard on Apr 11th 2014 5:00PM

Horror, Game Mechanics, MMO Industry, New Titles, PvP, News Items, Free-to-Play, Sandbox, H1Z1
    [​IMG]
    SOE CEO John Smedley's not done talking about zombie sandbox survival MMO H1Z1. Earlier this afternoon on Reddit, Smed posted a lengthy comment addressing questions about the game's map size. Rather than summarize it for you, I'll just go ahead and leave the whole thing here.
    I've seen a bunch of people asking questions about the map size. Forgelight is built to handle arbitrarily sized worlds. Our plan is simple -- we're building the core of "anywhere USA". When we first open it up to users the map will be huge, but nowhere near as big as it's going to be in short order. Our map editing system allows us to quickly add massive areas. We want to make sure we clearly understand how the players are playing the game before we do that. On PlanetSide 2 we made a mistake by making multiple continents before we had a strong enough idea of what worked and what didn't. This game is different. We're doing it smarter.

When we open up the early access there will be a massive map for players to enjoy. Over time (very quickly) they'll magically just be able to keep going further than they've gone before. It's a very unique way of doing it, but we actually think this is a better way to go.

So not to worry. Zombie Apocalypse isn't going to be any fun if it's like Disneyland on Spring Break and super-crowded. We want remote... haunting... being scared when you see someone. Your first instinct needs to be to hide. If there are 20 players in your view it's not a very convincing Apocalypse.

So how many players per server? Who knows. As we add more land the number of people we can hold on a server goes way up. So we're excited. We have a ton of zombies for you to fight too. You'll be seeing hordes, oh yes you will.

6. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Good stuff :D There's supposed to be a live stream of it.. right now they are shooting for Thursday.

7. Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  8. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Wow, 8 years, I didn't realize they'd been working on it that long.. Never heard much concrete about it, so after that amount of time, that's not a surprise.
    Too bad, probably would have been a good game if CCP could have pulled it off..

9. Already a lie.

10. Hamma

Officer
    What difference does it make :lol:

11. I'm just bitter. PS2 was supposed to be "the game." Now there's nothing.

12. Hamma

Officer
    Then the next "game" will come along and we will all say the same thing.

Problem is we build games up to be the best thing since sliced bread then are disspointed when it doesn't meet our exact expectations. Gamers are spoiled :p

13. Being totally honest with myself.... being a part of the build up, riding the hype train, reading the new reveals, discussing geeky minutia with you guys... that's a very significant portion of what I enjoy about getting into a new game.

NuclearMessiah likes this.
  14. Arguably the best point on many games that don't live up to expectations :lol:

15. Well there are also games that have no hype yet people seem to love them as well. It's just the way it is. If we are not careful SC can be the next PS2. You have to remember these are just games and there are ALWAYS more games out there to replace the ones that are out now. And games are supposed to be fun yet so many people (myself included at times) get so upset because OMG a program has a bug in it and it caused us to lose our virtual pixel stuff....our lives are over. Every game will have bugs and things will happen that will make us upset at times.

I just pray SC isn't that game because so many people have invested so much money into it. I myself honestly regret spending as much as I did on the game only from purely a financial point of view. But I have also come to terms with the fact that money is gone so I just forget about it and will enjoy the game the best I can and not worry about things.

There will never be a game without bugs or exploits that will cause players some problems.

16. Hamma

Officer
    Need to check it out this morning.

17. SOE's new Player Server initiative debuting in H1Z1
    by Jef Reahard on Apr 18th 2014 9:00AM

Horror, Business Models, Game Mechanics, MMO Industry, New Titles, News Items, Free-to-Play, Sandbox, Player-Generated Content, H1Z1

[​IMG]
    Did you watch SOE's late-breaking H1Z1 livestream last night? Are you excited for the zombie survival sandbox MMO? Well, here's another nugget to chew on courtesy of CEO John Smedley and his Twitter feed.

[Thanks BabaGraPL!]

Source: Smed's Twitter
    More coverage: Official site

18. Hamma

Officer
    I dind that.. strange.

19. Hamma

Officer
    Recording was pretty cool - aside from issues. Looks like it has the potential to be pretty fun, and already looks more polished than some of the survival games now.