1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Heartbroken

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Oed, 2 Sep 2005.

1. Oed

Oed

The news is killing me. I am heartbroken and just meepy because of what is happening in New Orleans.

This is a disaster worse than any to hit the country (man made, or natural) in my opinion.

I think everyone should donate, donate now, and often. Whatever you can. Last night the wife and I sent off 3 boxes of baby care stuff (things our son is not using anymore). It didn't cost us anything, just time and thought.

Don't know if posting this will spurn anyone to think of putting forth a little effort and giving something, but I have to do what I can.

2. ORANGE

ORANGE DragonWolf

what I'm upset is the jackholes that are looting hospitals and crap down there...I mean wtf mate....

3. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Yea that shit pisses me off.

4. As much as it bothers me that they are looting and stuff, you can't say you wouldn't be doing the same thing if it were your family that was in that situation. What they are doing is wrong, but in some cases I can understand why they are doing it. Such as getting food for their family to eat and things like that. So instead of getting mad let's just do what we can to help all of those people that are sufferring from the devestation. They will be sufferring for years to come. While we, for now, are enjoying everyting they have lost and wish they had.

5. Hamma

Officer
    Yea but these asshats are sniping military convoys, doctors - raping and murdering children etc etc.

I can sympathize with those stealing food and stuff - but some of these scum are going around just being complete idiots to those trying to just survive :mad:

6. symen

symen DragonWolf

Taking food and other essentials to survive is one thing, and I don't think anyone would say it's wrong. Stealing electronics and jewelry is quite another, and that is what makes people angry, and rightfully so. That, and the out of control gang violence -- there's no good reason for that shit. :mad:

7. It doesn't matter the reason behnd the stealing or what you steal. Stealing is stealing and it's wrong. We may justify why we do things like this but it's still wrong. Honestly, if put in the right circumstance everyone would probably behave the same way. Though for some it wouldn't take much.

So now that we have established that people are acting like idiots stealing, killing and whatever else, let me ask you this question....What can YOU do about it? Do YOU have a solution to the problem? All we can do is help the best way we can by getting food and supplies into the area. The more aid that goes in the less people will need to steal. Is it just a matter of sending supplies? No. It will take lots of manpower as well. For some of us it may be that we are able to go there and lend a hand in the cleanup efforts.

This is our "tsunami". What are we going to do about it?

8. ORANGE

ORANGE DragonWolf

People looting electronics stores has nothing to do with not enough food getting sent down there....thats just retardation....

9. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    the cops dont care if people loot for food...coz people need to eat , last night they said at night the gangs have been running around in the streets killing and raping people... :( its sad people have to be asshats while otehrs are just trying to get out of the area and also have gone 3 to 4 days without any food or water or no place to really sleep

10. Hamma

Officer
    Thats what I am talking about.

There is absolutly no excuse for these assholes running aound raping and killing random people. Not to mention stealing electronics, fishing poles etc. They should be all shot by the national guard asap.

As for what we can do. Cant do jack about the assholes - although I wish I could :p I dont exactly have money and items to spare to even send right now.

11. I agree with you guys. I am just trying to stay focused on what I can do for those that really need help. As for more supplies stopping the stealing...it will only stop those that are stealing to feed themselves. If they are being fed they would have no need to go steal it. As for the gang bangers and other jerks...I have no tolerance toward their behavior either. But if I focus on them too much, then what I can do for others may suffer. Also my attitude would not be all that pleasant.

12. Hamma

Officer
    :lol:

Give me an M16 and I will do something about them :brow:

13. Sharing and Caring

I just wanted to put this thread back on track :) (i know coming from me this is a first)

but i wanted to let all of you know how proud i am of my girl scouts :) we are troop #14 in Loveland, and we have money left over, its not much, about $144 dollars, but was enough for us to go to chuckie cheese, after all of the disaster and things happening, my girls have called me and voted to send their money to the American Red Cross to help out other families and victims instead of using it this way. As or this moment most of them are also going thru their closets and bugging us parents to do the same. One of the girls goes to a church, that was asked by another church down there to send some items, such as: gently used clothing, shoes, for everyone, men, women and children. Towels, blankets, sheets, bedding. Some new items (which i am on my to the store to pick up a ton of right now) deoderant, tylonal, childrens tylonal, diapers, depends. We are pulling together and sending things down there that people are in desprate need of now for this church down there to distribute!

I also have another parent of one of my girl scouts looking into finding out about helping familes, by offering to take them into their home. She is going to call me as soon as she has information so that many of us others here can help.

you see these images, and you honestly just feel helpless. And at the same time grateful for all of the things around you that we take for granted every day. i hold my family a bit closer to me before i let them walk out the door. i look around at all my "things" and realize they are just that, "things" and i feel very lucky and grateful that i have a home, and my husband has a job, and my kids are going to school. Everything else seems so small and trivial now.

but anyhow, i gotta go back to purging my linen and clothing closets. Be safe everyone! i am so glad all of you are safe too!

14. The company I work for is matching what the employees give to the Red Cross. So I gave 10 dollars for every person in my family.

I also plan to donate food and used clothes.

15. The radio station I listen to has been advertising this site all week.

It's a gathering point for alot of aid agencies that are helping in the area, with descriptions on what each does, and how to get in touch with them.

For example, you may want to give to an organization that specializes in helping pets.

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/

If you want to give a "plug" for the Radio Station, click this one.

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/?source=KROQ

16. Faith - don't even get me started. I can justify looting say food or water - stuff you NEED to stay live. But looting stuff like electronics, cigarettes or other trivial stuff in my eyes justifies getting your butt sliced, diced and handed back to you. It's a damn shame that even the NO cops are showing their uglier side and resorting to holding up mail trucks for checks or simply walking out and leaving the city they swore to protect. The idiots pointing guns at rescue choppers or even firing in their direction - intentional or nay - should get used to waiting. It's not fair to the pilots and medical personnel to add that danger to their job and lives with the danger and risk they already face because of the conditions at hand.

I personally haven't donated to an organization but I did buy nearly $100 in groceries for a family that mine has been friends with for years because they were housing 16 relatives displaced by the storm.

I agreed with Oed - this is on par emotionally with other disasters that have hit the US (still far behind 9/11 imo but damn close behind it). I don't urge anyone to donate I DEMAND you do something - money, goods or time. Every little bit helps even if it's as small scale as the part I did. Since no other foreign countries are stepping up to the plate to help it's time to look after our own in this case. Yes this statement may anger some but with all the aid we ship overseas it's about time we got some in return.

17. Oed

Oed

Reign, you just hit on one of my sore spots.

Foreign countries DID offer assistance. Our administration said 'America can hadle this by iteslef'. That pissed me off to no end.

So what are the countries doing? They are donating items and money to the red cross...going around the govenment. Austrailia is sending workers for the red cross to use in any way they see fit (these workers are actually combat medic units).

18. I think we are going to Miss. for a couple of days next week to help out.
    If you have never helped out with something like this-you should. It will
    totally change your life. It has made me much more sympathetic to people
    and much more humble. I couldn't imagine going through what these people
    will go through in the next year. Last year, Faith & I went to Pensacola FL. to
    help out. People were saying they lost everything. I asked some of them, nothing
    is left?
    "NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, MY HOUSE AND CARS ARE COMPLETELY GONE, WIPED OUT! THE HOUSE AND CARS ARE NOT EVEN THERE ANY MORE!"

Please help these people out. You would appreciate it very much if you were in their shoes.

19. Amen, and thank goodness for people like you and faith that are able to go down and do! :) be safe when you guys go!

20. Oed I meant the # stepping up to help nowhere near equals the # we help on a monthly basis - crisis or nay. I agree the administration has botched the relief effort so I'm not complimenting them at all. Just stating my displeasure at countries not even offereing to send manpower for the cleanup task in the least.