1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

I may not be playing much anymore but...

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Fox, 12 Nov 2001.

Is Fox insane for doing this?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Ok first of all Access blows. The database sucks and is slow for any decent number of records. But I doubt foxes program has a decent amout of records.

For that matter the number of things you are storing....well lets just say i think a text file will work fine depending on how much you are using. I'm not sure what you are doing in your program, I haven't had time to look at it, but if you are using a VB project to write out to a text file, using the project to write to a Access DB isn't all that hard.

Are you running a VB project behind the scenes? Or are you just using the vl2 to gather stats in a text file using scripting. This is what I figure you are doing. Then you will gather those logs together some how, using your little project prolly. If this is the case then you might want to consider sticking the combined CDL info in a DB.

Hamma gets off on mySQL and it is free, but I don't think its very microsoft friendly and if you don't know anything about SQL there's gonna be a learning curve, but the same goes for Access except that access works easily with VB and if you have Microsoft Access you have an easy too into the DB.

Anywho I rambled, I guess I can't suggest anything or explain anything until I know wtf you are doing. :D

2. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    u can port microshaft sql into mySQL

I h8 ms and everything they represent. Im not the only one :)

3. Guys, if you want to look at the whole program code go into this topic on the Private General Discussion forum...I'll post a link to it there...