1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Laser eye surgury?

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Asmodeus, 5 Jun 2004.

1. Hey folks, I was just wondering... what's everyone's impressions and/or experiences with laser eye surgury? I'm heavily considering it, as it's the only thing standing in the way between me and becoming a police officer....

Should I do it? My mom had it, and she can see perfect 20/20 vision, and yet one of our friends have had it done, and he was back wearing glasses within 6 months...

Someone, please help!

2. Ingwë

Ingwë DragonWolf<BR>The Goose!

Hmmm, well my dad is an eye doctor he said to have laser eye surgery and not have glasses afterwards, you would have to be near sighted around -1 to -7. Otherwise you would still need glasses. Hope that helps you.

3. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    I had it down about 4-5 years ago and i love it , they told me from the start one eye would be 20/20 and the other 20/25 before i even went under the laser . Also they said between 40-50 years old i would need reading glasses .

The day i went in for the surgery , i was rechecked one more time , given a valium to chill out with(even tho it made me more hyper and i asked for another one) , then after 20 mins i went into the room , they put drops in my eyes and started the whole deal , the Offical surgery lasted maybe 5 mins , after that i came off the table , was check to make sure nothing was in my eyes and i could see somewhat then just blurry.

Left the Dr. office after 30 mins and was told to go home and sleep and rest my eyes, the next day i went in after 24 hours from having the surgery done and could see 20/20 and 20/25 , i think i was like 20/200 or something bad before the surgery and had been wearing glasses and sometimes contacts since the 4th grade.

4. I just talked with my mom about it all... I have like 20/100 vision right now... she said a buncha shit like I can't get -any- water in my eyes for like 2 weeks....

lots of stuff.... *sighs*

Did I mention I hate my work place? I just seriously don't care anymore about this place... I used to be all happy and shit when I'd talk with people... now it's like.. bleh, go the f*ck away. I don't wanna talk with you... but I guess that's what I get for being paid garbage to watch a building I have no control over.

on a different note... I'm a little worried about the surgury still.... I just don't want them to mess up... *sighs*

5. Doomhawk

Doomhawk Council of Elders<BR>UberPigeon Elder DragonWolf

Ive always wondered about laser surgery, cant do anythign about it right now, but my eyes might be to bad anways :p they were like 20/200 and 20/250 when i had them checked last about 5-6 years ago, and getting noticebly worse still :/

6. Tbeast

Officer
    Asmo , the first month is the worse .

I had to keep putting eye drops in my eyes and couldnt do some things , but after a month , it was all good .

Best thing you can do is go online and look up info or talk to a eye clinic , the person i went to had time and place you could go to learn more and ask any questions about it all .

7. tb, come onto irc or somethin. :p

8. The only bad things I've heard about it is that you can't be a pilot and you can't go in submarines cause of the pressure. I saw a pic in flight school of a German guy who went up in a fighter after that surgery and his eye ruptured. Not cool at all. I'm probably going to get it for my wife, I'm just nervous about the side effects and all since it's relatively new.

9. I've known people that were legally blind and have done it and all was good.
    Also...If memory serves, Bretta also had the operation, you could ask her and Schrike how things panned out.

Later~!

~PM~

10. My clear viewing distance without glasses is apx 2-3 inchs. Everything else is blurry.

I want laser surgery dammit.

11. Well... if I can get it done, I think I will.... the thought of not being able to shower for 2 weeks or so is a little daunting... fuck I don't wanna take baths! :/ grr....

but hey, I should be able to have perfect vision now.... it'll be awesome. :D

12. Tbeast

Officer
    lol , asmo you can take showers , just have to be carefull around your eyes.. talk to the Dr also , i took showers the whole time. I just had a towel hanging around to pat the water off my face since you cant rub your eyes.

13. I had it done last November and I haven't regretted it. Even as we were leaving the office after the surgery and everything was a little harsh, I was going "Wow! Wow!" about every second or two. I don't know what my eyes were before, but I have 20/25 vision now. I got glasses at age 7 and hard contact lenses at 11 to prevent me from becoming blind before I was 18. I couldn't remember waking up and being able to see clear in my life! It was almost like being able to see clearly for the first time. Everything was brighter and sharper. Very Cool!

The first month or 2 you use a lot of eye drops. About once an hour, but it feels good. I don't remember much discomfort afterwards. The surgery was so quick that Schrike hadn't even finished the magazine article he was reading when I went in.

Actually, I am fairly certain that you can still be a pilot and I really haven't had any kind of warning about submarines. I work for an airline and I know that we have pilots who have had the surgery. I think it is only when you first have it done that you have to worry. They say that the eye is the fastest healing part of the body which is why they can do this kind of surgery. It is so much better now than 10 years ago. The only thing they warned is that it can't stop age related eye problems. That only means that as you get old you may need reading glasses. This would happen anyway, so it its not a problem. I guess they just don't want people coming back when they are 50 and sue them for bad eyesight.

The funny part was for the first week you have to wear ski goggle things to bed! They weren't uncomfortable, but you look fairly silly. You can take showers, but you just have to make sure you close your eyes. No biggie.

14. Sounds good. Ill definatly be looking into the more once I reach 18.

15. Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking military. What airline do you work for?

16. Hmmm

Well dunno about Pilot but my Grandmother had the surgery and it has kept her Driving and shes 93 now and still behind the wheel yikes!

Shads

17. Wow....I guess its gotta be nice to be 93 and not senile yet ;)

18. They are starting to accept pilots who have had laser surgery in the AF now.

19. My eyes are -7 and -7.25. I'm 26 and they have finally kinda settled down. My eye doctor always said you needed to wait until your perscription stopped changing before getting the surgery. Also, the only way you go blind is by having something wrong with your eyes, a disease or something. You can't get nearsighted until you go blind. Legally blind just means you are so near sighted you can't see anything without corrective lenses. That's basically me, although I don't know where the cutoff is for that.

I'll probably get the surgery in the next couple years. I'm also nervous about them messing something up. But I'm not looking to have perfect, uncorrected vision. I've used glasses and contacts for 18 years now. I can deal with them. It would just be nice to be able to find my god damn glasses in the moring :p Or getting up to pee in the night being able to actually find the bathroom :D

20. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Yuck, so what happens those times when you can't find the bathroom? :p