1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Learn to Drive in the Snow!!!

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Mignonne, 29 Nov 2006.

1. okay, so its snowing here, we live in Colorado, we expect snow. People are moaning and groaning because there is six inches of snow on the ground and schools are not closed. Hello!!!!! its Colorado, it snows..... uhmmm ya, if you dont like it, go back to California. We dont cancel school unless it is at least a few feet of snow, and even then i have seen them leave schools open if the roads are plowed enough.

On top of that, idiots think, omg, i must get there before everyone else so i will go speeding and tailgating and waiting till the last minute to stop!!!! Here i am plugging along, at a good enough pace for the road and just wave at them as they slide into the side of the road and go my merry slow way. ya i got a 4x4 too, but you wont see me speeding on ice in it just cause it is, now i might go over a few snow banks, well.. cause i can *grins*

grrr.... i really hate people that have no respect for the snow and absolutely no idea in hell how to drive in the stuff. i spend more time watching out for everyone else on the road around me. i want to make sure i have enough room to avoid them The roads are sheer ice this morning and the idiot factor is HIGH.

/rant off

on a side note, its beautiful outside. everything is covered in white and it has that crispness to the air that you can only find in the snow. Its cold, about 18 degrees out and well.. its just peaceful.

2. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

You know someone from Alaska will read that and laugh at what a pansy you are. "It's been snowing here since August!"

3. pansy?? not me hun, i was reffering to everyone else!!! *laughs* i dont mind the snow or anything, its everyone else whining and crying. :) my sister in law is like, i cant believe they did not cancel school today. i was like woman, its only a bit of snow.... its not that much really. i was complaining about the other idiots out here :)

4. We see the same thing here in Minnesota. I remember going to school with 17inchs of new snow and it was still coming down or waiting for the bus at 6:30 in morning when it was 28 below 0. Now they cancel school. Wimps!

5. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    its suppose to snow and ice here in dallas....im scared cos these morons can't even drive in reg weather

6. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Anyone living in the north needs to go drive on an icy lake that's safe to drive on. That's how I learned how to control my car and how to have respect for icy conditions. Of course, doing reverse donuts with my mom's old Cutlass Cierra was awesome too, but that's not the point here boys and girls.

Drive on a lake. You'll be glad you did.

This CDL PSA brought to you by our good friends at Bridgestone Tires.

7. lol

that's totally true

8. yep, we had ice parking lots mom took us to and we were instructed on how to drive properly :) and your right, it was a blast!! :)

9. ...after being pulled from the icy grip of hypothermia inducing waters they shudder - "Sent said it was a good idea".

10. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Stilll havent had the first snow here in Mass, been warm recently. I am not looking forward to snow - it sucks.

I am however looking forward to snow days, free days off for the win.

Here it depends on timing alot, if 6 inches fall quick overnight school may be cancelled. If 8 or 12 it will be cancelled for sure. If its an afternoon storm most times we will be here. Here in the Mass our snow tends to fall very quickly - where most other parts of the country gets it spread out a bit. Damn Ocean!

Last edited: 29 Nov 2006
  11. Try driving in a boarder state, Mig. Maryland (I actually live in PA but work in MD) is the state where rain starts turning into snow during the winter and sticking. Man, Maryland gets half an inch of snow and totally forgets how to drive.
    "Turn signal!? WHAT'S THAT?!?!"
    "What?! You mean I can't accelerate quickly or make sharper turns in this white stuff!?"
    "I have a Civic, why can't i speed through this!?"

12. Snow isn't too bad, but when you have a rear wheel drive, 400+ horsepower car with performance tires designed for dry/wet (rain) conditions only it can get kinda tricky driving in the snow.

Which is why I have vowed that if it snows, regardless of what my college decides, I'm staying home :)

13. symen

symen DragonWolf

You need some junk in the trunk for extra weight on your drive wheels. :p

Any vehicle will work reasonably well in the snow and ice as long as you know how it handles and how to operate it safely. The main thing that will improve performance is improving the ratio of vehicle weight to surface area of tire contact with the road on the drive wheels. If you will be driving in deep snow due to unplowed roads, ground clearance and tread can factor in to a lesser degree.

Hands down, the best vehicle to have in the snow is a front-wheel-drive with narrow tires and a low center of gravity. The weight of the engine helps keep the drive wheels from slipping and the low center of gravity helps keep the weight constant to prevent tires from spinning out. A compact car is good, but a minivan with higher ground clearance is great. A minivan with snow tires, or even better, snow chains, can't be beat in the snow.

What bugs me, is (I think) the same thing that bugs you, Mig. People think, "Oh, I have a 4x4, it's better in the snow than a car!", drive too fast, and promptly end up in the snowbank. 4x4s aren't designed for the snow, they're designed for hauling, to go off-road, or sometimes just to look a certain way. They typically have wider tires, which reduce the amount of weight per square inch. The primary drive wheels are almost always in the rear, which is necessary for hauling a lot of weight, but can be dangerous in the snow, as the vehicle is typically very light in the rear. Solid axles, useful for greater durability off-road, apply drive power unevenly, increasing the chance of a spinout in the snow. 4-wheel drive also increases chance of a spinout, as drive is applied to wheels which don't have weight distributed very evenly to them. The higher center of gravity means that weight will shift more as well.

This isn't to say that a 4x4 is completely impractical in the snow, of course. With a little extra weight in the rear and driven carefully (which you should do in the snow anyway, regardless of vehicle) it will be fine.

14. this is the only way to get around in the snow ;) *grins* that was my birthday present this year :) and the other is what it looked like when i got up this morning out front :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stupid tree picture, i could not get it to turn right :) so just tilt your head to the side :)

15. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

We lived next to a high school for a couple winters. Nothing like sitting in the living room at around 9 at night and hear some new gear head out in the parking lot doing donuts and slides.

Everyone would call out a number and then the count down would happen.

"2 minutes"
    "3 minutes"
    SKEEEEE BAM BAM BAM.
    "Who had 3 minutes?"

Then we would go out and see the results. The 1980 Camero lovingly restored by someone other than the driver was my favorite.

Caved in the entire passenger door (but not the passenger). Plus high centered the car on a planter.

That was a great one. Cop said mom and dad were out of town. Driver was 15. The car WAS his 16th birthday present.

While talking to the cop, at the far end of the lot some other idiot comes flying into the lot thinking they were going to do a power slide.

The cop says, "There goes another physics major." without missing a beat.

This time one of those little Civics that sound like a Lawnboy on it's last legs plows into a dumpster. By plow I mean he went UNDER the dumpster.

The driver is in a total panic and trying to get out from under the dumpster because now she has seen the cop.

Ah good times.

16. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    [​IMG]

Damn you and your fool advice Sentrosiiiiii!!! :p

17. Man, it's crazy here in Washington, it snows, then the sun comes up so the snow starts melting, then it starts snowing again, and it become one giant layer of ice. My roommate and I were drifting around corners at 5 miles an hour.

18. Up here in Canada its just beautiful weather, t-shirt and shorts weather.

19. thats crazy talk...they don't wear shirts in canada...

20. This is why we moved from Phoenix.

Theres' actual weather, rather than sun in the summer, and more sun in the winter.