1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Mental illness as a criminal defense

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Abia, 22 Mar 2006.

1. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

First, that case was dropped because the kid wasn't willing to testify. Her mental state had nothing to do with it being dropped. The DA wasn't willing to go to court with her on one side and an empty chair on the other.

Secondly, and I hate weighing in on this one, I'm severely bi-polar. I was in my 30's before I received any treatment at all. Most people I have met that admit to it either don't actually have it or manage the worse symptoms with medication.

Case in point, a co-workers daughter is married to a guy that refuses to work. I talked to him once. He made the mistake of saying something about being disabled because of his "mild case of bi-polar". He sponges off his wife and family. He is a class A manipulator and con artist. When I explained that I knew quite a bit about being bi-polar he immediately left the building and hid in his car until his wife was ready to go.

As a kid I was a holy terror, I was controlable. But if I saw so much as the slightest edge I could manipulate it through sheer stubborn will.

I've had the same job for over 8 years.

I have a tight circle of friends, some of which I have had since I was a toddler.

Think of bi-polar as being on fire but not knowing it. (seriously) If someone points out that you are on fire and you then know it and keep it in mind so you can control it and not leave a burning path in your wake, great.

If however once you know you are on fire and burn everything around you, giving an excuse of "Sorry, I am on fire and can't help it" then that is a psychosis.

Don't confuse serial liars and manipulators with bi-polar.

BTW I found out I was bi-polar by complete accident. I had received treatment for an eating disorder (stress eating). About a year or two afterwards I was in my doctors office and he left the chart in the room with me. So I read through it to kill time. I found the diagnosis for my stress eating. At the bottom was "Severe bi-polar and manic-depressive". When I asked my doctor about it he confirmed and I started getting treated. I feel a lot better than I used to and it is way easier to manage today.

2. Funny you should mention how you discovered it. I discoverd I was Manic Bi-Polar (Constant go-go-go~!!), and had a "drinking problem". As it turned out - I wasn't an alcoholic, I was self-medicating. I am older now, and in control my drinking (1-2 beers a night. No longer a 12-pack+ at a sitting).
    and
    (dramatic pause)
    I have been off medication for 5 years - Its been pretty tough sometimes, but I'm the one that made the decision, and I'm holding myself accountable~!

Well...that's my life story in a nutshell.

:D

~PM~

3. Om

Om DragonWolf

Brokentusk, the fact that the doc didn't tell you, you had to read it yourself in your file while he was out of the room...that's disturbing to me.

4. I agree whole heartedly. What doctor would do that? That's just wrong.

Let me state once again, for the record...

I have never said that the woman got off because she is bi-polar. I do not think that she got away with anything because she is claiming to be bi-polar. I understand that the charges were dropped because the boy couldn't handle a trial in his current emotional state and therefore the charges had to be dropped at this time. I know that the charges which had been brought against her in the other county were contingent upon a sentencing in the first county and were dropped because the charges were dropped in the first county. I understand that the charges have nothing to do with her claims of bi-polar disorder other than that is her defense for having done what she did.

I am simply saying that it's rather convient the number of people who are diagnosed with bi-polar disorder after having committed crimes who then enter a plea of "Guilty by reason of mental defect" (formerly know as guilty by reason of insanity). Most of these people are then released back into society with little to no follow up, etc.

Mary Kay Letourneau was diagnosed as being bi-polar by a therapist after she was caught having sex with her teenage "lover" Vili. She maintained the entire trial, and through out her sentencing that she was not bi-polar. (I understand many who are BP hold that thought, so I know that isn't a great indicator of my point, but it's there) While in jail she was ordered to remain on medication. The moment she was released she quit taking the meds. She married her lover, and father of two of her children, after she was released from prision.

It was determined during her second trial that she was a master manipulator and, more than likely not bi-polar.

I just think it's rather interesting the whole situation. Female sexual predators tend to get a lesser sentence if they claim they are bi-polar, and those who use Guilty by reason of mental defect, that defect being bi-polar disorder, tend to get lesser sentences in general.

5. Brokentusk

Brokentusk DragonWolf

It wasn't the same doctor both times. Only reason it was in that file was because they sent my doctor a copy for his records.

My doc was PO'd that I hadn't been told. Called the other docs supervising physician and made a pretty good stink. I loved that ol' guy, too bad he retired. However my current doc did his residency with him and was trained well, so I am set.

As for treatment I went to a totally new place. In fact when they tried to send me there I balked.