1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

New EVE Online Trailer

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Hyncharas, 16 May 2006.

1. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    You have to show your high school algebra credentials when you sign up for the course but..

Turret tracking

Should show you the why's and hows of your turrets and the damage they do.. Tracking mods are useful as is getting up close.. Try to trade shots with a missile boat and you'll lose for sure :p

2. Yea I looked at the guide, ah it hurt me head bad heh. Its mainly all the modifiers that throw me off. 10% here, 50% there, etc. Is there any readout on the weapon or menu somewhere that shows what your real optimal range is with all your modifiers including the stuff thats turned off. A offline app that would let you design a ship put in all the weapons, mods, etc and give you that information would be great. Saw mention of something called Sisi? but not sure.

3. check out quickfit

i don't have access to it atm, so i'm not sure if it'll give u all the mods on turrets (i mainly do missiles). It does work out all the combined modifiers for other things like mining laser yield just not sure on ranges and what not; either way its a great tool to use for working out setups offline.

also...just found this site looking for the quickfit dl...looks like it might have some useful info

4. So...

Ive been playing the 14 day trial.

Im a gallante and met my second contact (agent) and running courier missions that gets old quick. I have no idea where to mine, or get missions to hunt pirates my level. I have a small frigate I bought, but it aint much. I like the concept but Im at a little of a loss about what all I can do at this point. I finished most of the tutorial. will finish it tonight I hope. have about 6 days left of trial.

any suggestions? not sure I should get a subscription but thinking about it. how many active cdl?

5. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    It's not unusual to not know what is going on. It's a pretty complex game and the starting setup really does suck - and they have acknowledged it (Not that it helps you now :lol: )

We probably have 3-4 CDL active in the game.

In the beginning it's good to find a nice starting agent to start pulling in some ISK. If you can find Survielance or Security agents you will have more fun, those are killing missions. You can find agents by going on to your map (F10) and filtering for "My Agents" (Its somewhere in the menu) you want to find Security/Survielance agents who's reputation is high. Someone who has a rating of 5 is not as good as someone with a rating of 18.

Mining can be a viable source of money as well to mine you need to head to an asteroid belt and make sure you have mining lasers equipped in the turret slots of your ship. Pirates can also be found around random asteroid belts in most systems, just killing them and looting their cargo can be a fairly good source of income as well. I'd assume you have started training? You may need to train mining in order to get started. Training books can be found on the market for skills that are not on your list from the start.

My advice - pop onto TS with myself, ASP or Shads and fire off some questions. The game is hard to explain and cumbersome via Text :eek:

6. WarWolf

WarWolf DragonWolf DragonWolf

I signed up for the game but have yet to dive in head first yet. Gametime has been slow ATM.

7. Asp

Officer
    You mine in any asteroid belts you can see Swifty.. If you're staying primarily in one solar system right now you can hop between asteroid belts looking for mining opportunities or AI pirates.

There are a lot of ways to make money, and get into combat, the game is very fluid that way.

You can head out and mine in the asteroid belts, refine your ore into minerals and sell it to make money. In certain circumstances mining can be fun (when its useful to you or your corporation) but is generally dull..

Once you get some money together you can make money playing the market if that's your thing. It can be slow and tedious, but rewarding when you find those profitable trade routes. Takes some thinking and research to master, as the market if very much influenced by players and goes up and down all the time.

You can hunt pirates in the asteroid belts. They're not in every belt or there all the time, but they do spawn now and then. Killing them gets you money, as does looting the cargo containers they drop, and selling or reprocessing what you find in them. A good way to hop belt to belt looking for pirates or ore is in the top left corner of your screen. There's an information list about the system you're in, and in the top left corner of that is a triangle. Left click on that and it brings a drop down menu of the stations, asteroid belts, planets, etc. in your system. From there you can hop from belt to belt easily.

Alternatively on your screen triangles in the distance are asteroid belts, squares are stations, "circles with the line in it" are stargates, and regular cirlces are planets. Right click on any of these and you can warp to the location. If the shape looks like a jumbled mess it just means there's multiples of each in that location; hover your cursor over it and you'll see each item pop up that's there, then you can warp to what you want.

Missions are by far the most profitable way to make money if you can get them. Almost every station has an agent. The better the rating to you, the more you'll get from them. You should be doing level 1 agents at this point, and work your way up when you get a better ship. you'll get money for completing the mission, usually extra (in isk or in goods) if you complete it quickly, and if its a kill mission, you get bounty and cargo from the AI pirates you kill.

It IS difficult and somewhat confusing in the beginning but it gets better as you move forward. My friend has only been in the game over a week, and he's ready to move into the higher level missions; money and lacking a few skills is the only thing stopping him at this point.

By all means if you need any help hop on TS, and we can help you out. Make sure you train your frigate skill up too, so you can get into bigger and better ships :)

8. you guys say join TS, but i never see anyone on when i play :D

anyway, thanks for the info.

next question. I bought a frigate with 4 gun slots, but it only lets me occupy two gun slots. It says that I am unable to install any more and I cant figure out why that is.

9. Asp

Officer
    I should log onto TS more often, but I usually only do when I see others in the game or shads scolds me for not using it.. I'll jump on when I'm in from now on.

Your frigate has 4 "high slots", which means 4 high powered units can be installed on the ship. High powered units are typically weapons, but can be single use smartbombs, or other special devices. The confusion comes from the fact that your frigate has 4 high slots, but only 2 "turret hardpoints". So you can put 2 turrets on it, and fill the other 2 high slots with missile launchers for example.

Since you're Gallente I'll use your ships as an example to help clear it up.

A "Celestis" cruiser has 4 hi slots. It also has 3 turret hardpoints, and 2 launcher hard points. You could then put 2 turrets and 2 launchers, or three turrets and 1 launcher if you were maxing out the hi slots on the ship. Hi slots are how many high powered devices of any kind you can fit on your ship, hardpoints are the number of slots for a particular type of weapon you can fit.

10. ahh. very helpful. thanks asp

11. Hamma

Officer
    Whats your ingame name swift?

12. swiftblades = ingame name

13. Yay welcome to the EVEside!!:D Good to see you guys playin. I only have access to the net on weekends now but my name is Pantheras look me up anytime I will do what I can to help anyone out.;)

14. I should have my Ferox pretty soon. Then its time to go pvp'ing!

15. Hamma

Officer
    I can get a ferox now, just need 30m :lol:

16. Now I'm back from my trip through Alaska and Canada I will be looking at getting a subscription to EVE.

Photos of the chaos during my trip are sure to follow in the next couple of weeks :)

17. Sounds like an awesome trip! would love to see the pics :)

18. Hey guys....just to let you know I have been playing EVE for about 2 weeks now. Ingame name is Lorbec - A Caldari Merc..I am currently flying a Kestrel Frigate with 2 Rocket Launchers and 2 'Limos' missile launchers although I could use 4 Missiles I chose to keep 2 rockets for rate of fire at close range.

Look me up. I'll be on there tonight I need to see how much more I need on my Frigate training to Level 5...Should have like 13 days left on that. I am currently running Level 1 missions out of Jita IV Moon 4 - Navy Repair Station (or something like that).

19. Hamma

Officer
    Cool - I may be in tonight will look you up :D

I didnt start training frig 5 until just 2 days ago :eek: Worked up my wep skills first :D

20. Asp

Officer
    I'll be popping in tonight too, we can hunt some pirates if you want Hamma, we can take Lorbec around into more dangerous space :) Just run this time if we see low sec players again :)