1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Official Clan Forum-Skin

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Hyncharas, 9 Mar 2006.

1. For quite a while now, some CDL clan-members have been aware of a new skin I have creating for these forums. Unlike the default one that is currently in use, most of the graphics of the new skin will be in tune with the clan's website, and will be much easier on the eyes of users.

Therefore in order to help with information gathering, I have created this thread to see just how many clan-members and fans alike would like to have a skin more to liking with the colour schemes of Clan Dragonwolves. While some portions of the skin's content are not yet complete, it is very nearly finished and will be made available to Hamma once a stable build is ready for implementation. Questions and comments are welcome.

In the meantime, please feel free to look at some previews of the completed sections (all images are shown in 1280x1024 resolution):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Mar 2006
  2. Those look good Hync but maybe I'm old school...

I like the current spread. Brighter web sites are easier on the eyes for me. That's just me though.

3. Honestly, the colors look a bit off. The main website is mostly black with a light yellow. The text colors in the skin are too bright. It's got a florecent yellow and orange instead of more subtle colors. Also, Times New Roman is just not a good font.

Sorry to be a bit of a neggy bunny.

4. Comments

The colors don't seem to bad to me, I would tone them down a few shades to something closer to brown though for the bright stuff.

Also that Times New Roman has got to go. I'd go with either Arial or Comic Sans MS.

5. The bright yellow text has got to go. Or at the very least, let each of us chose what skin to use. What’s wrong with black text on a white background? That is, after all, the long proven, tried and true best for readability. Go with the yellow text and my participation here is at an end. It hurts my eyes.

I never could understand the appeal of making web sites hard on the eyes and hard to read.

6. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    Verdana for the win!

Just for some background on why we are using these colors. Back when I joined CDL we were using some cheap (I like to call it ghetto board) forum software and the colors were very similar. To make the transition easier I tried to match that color scheme as much as possible. :D

7. Awe...some. :thumbsup: and for the win

8. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    ugh it was horrible all the data was stored in text files :ugh:

9. symen

symen DragonWolf

I think the colors look nice, and it certainly fits the theme of the overall site. I especially like the orange on grey background -- very cool. :D

On the font thing, I agree that serif fonts like Times New Roman don't always work well. A bit of CSS that I particularly like and use a lot is:

Code:
    body {
    	font-family: Verdana, Trebuchet, Lucida, Arial, sans-serif;
    	font-size: 70%;
    }

10. The font system I am using on the webpages are the following:
    verdana, geneva, lucida, arial, helvetica, sans-serif​
    I would like to apologise for the sight of Times New Roman. Because for me it has always been the best font to use in conjunction with other fonts when reading pages, I forgot that it was still switched on in my Internet Options feature for IE!

I have since taken your comments and added four more previews for showing to show you what I've changed. I have also left the Control Panel-links in orange because I think they are ok just the way they are:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You may also notice there is a slightly different feature on the User's Profile than you normally see. Like the subforums which use diffferent colours to determine whether or not they have new posts, there is a similar idea for when a user is on the forums...

Much like a "lightbulb" system, when the dragonwolf head is shaded a darkened-blue as it is shown now, this means the user is offline. A brightly-lit blue head, however, indicates they have come online.

11. OK. So I am two weeks into quiting smoking cigs cold turkey without any patches or gum. This is making me a bit testy and I really want to kill something.

Please forgive my non-diplomatic critisim above.

Just leave us the ability to select the skin we want to use and I will be very happy indeed. I know the software has the ability to do that. So... remember that I am having serious withdraws and get really dangerous when I atempt to read yellow, green or cyan text.

Black text on a white background FTW!

12. Good luck with that ES. I smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey. It was the only way really - everything else was too much of a tease. My worst moments were driving in the car and when drinking beer. Those were the worst. I had withdrawl symptoms for 8 days...then after that it was all in my head.

You've made it past the tough part! Think positive!

Since I quit 4 years ago I've had maybe 3 cigarettes and half a dozen cigars.

I didn't touch a cigarette until my quit day anniversary (which so happens to be dingus day! The day after Easter)

I'm so glad I quit, no more coughing, I don't have trouble breathing and I don't stink (well like cigarettes anyway ;)) The occasional cigarette, although tasty, truly reminds me why I quit.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2006
  13. well y'know if you actually suggested a colour other than what exists for the current skin it might help me easier. If I spend longer than 10 minutes trying to read from these forums with this skin, I find that I need to go and lie down... :(

The reason I chose a mostly-black background was because the clansite is black, and I'm trying to have a set that looks remotely similar to the site itself; like how PSU has the same scheme for its site as it does for its forums.

People don't have to use the skin if they don't want to, it's just there if they feel the whiteness of this skin leaping off the screen at them too much

14. If the goal is to make it tie in with the main site, I would go with primarily Yellow and White text. Pull the yellow color off the main site, I'm sure Hamma can hook you up with the CSS if you can't find it in the source.

But to me, that skin doesn't fit with the main site any more than this one does. Sure it a black background but that's about it. There's no pastal green or blue or orange on the main site.

I realize the main site is rather limited in it's color selection, but it's clean and easy to read.

I'm trying to be constructive here, unfortunately I'm not graphically inclined at all, so I can't tell you how to fix it, I can just tell you what seems wrong to me. I know that's kinda shitty, but it's the best I can do.

:gayzer:

15. symen

symen DragonWolf

I like the blue text a lot. That's a really nice color to use with the grey and black. :D

I like the slightly darker orange you used for the top links in one of the earlier iterations a little better than the more pastel orange you have now. It's not a bad color now, it's just not as strong as the other colors, so it seems a little too light.

It might also look cool if the logo at the top was orange on black rather than white on black. That does diverge from the main site a little, though.

16. The stylesheet I have for skin is actually called Cerberus; primarily because, since I can do 3D models as well, I have been building a robotic cerberus-character.

Its a robot for two reasons:
    1. I can only do organic models for some things;
    2. The department I am part of gameplay-wise is PlanetSide.
    The whole idea for Cerberus came about around the time the PS Devs were trying to find out what parts of the BFRs they wanted to keep, and I think it's a shame that large outfits that have been playing the game since beta can't have custom BFRs of their own.

17. Ok, I've made the recent changes from requests and I've added the PS Outfit Decal to the top of the page to see how it looks:

[​IMG]

Now before anyone starts, yes, there are variations of green on the page :rawr:

It is my general understanding that most forums has a colour that sets forum-staff apart from all other users, as well another that indicates who the forum's administrator is... this is why they are deliberately different. I have also made a colour for each section that defines on the forum any announcements, stikies and polls that might be made - some of these use the previously annoying colours, but because they're not plastered all over the screen they shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, I'm looking at hosting the new skin on a free site for people to see how it would appear on their screens, but I'll wait and see what Hamma says about that idea first, just to be safe.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2006
  18. symen

symen DragonWolf

I like it! :D

19. ORANGE

ORANGE DragonWolf

lol Hynch spells color colour.

oh wait.