1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Online College Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Oakfist, 21 Sep 2005.

1. Oakfist

Oakfist DragonWolf

So, Im pretty much at a dead end job now. Dont have any formal training, I was in the Marine Corps, but my job duties their are completly different than what I do now, Im looking for a career in Criminal justice IE: Police officer, and up. The job placement here in my little town of Decatur, Alabama for a police officer is small without any more training or an Associates in Criminal Justice, soo Ive been looking into an online degree in this field. All the major online universities you see advertised offer the program I am looking for so thats covered.
    I have to work full time to support myself and my girlfriend while shes in college, so this would be the best program available to me, Sooooo what im asking about is if anyone has any experience with an online degree program, even if you know someone that has had some experience I would like to hear it as this would be a big investment of money primarily and time, I wouldnt wanna waste any of it and come out in the long run with a wasted bogus degree. Anyways thanks ahead of time -CDL- I value yall's opinions.:D

2. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I am taking Distance Learning Classes right now. Some are vids, DVDs, and others are Blackboard online. I have been working full time and gaming and taking 2 classes per semester. Tough, and I will probably back off to 1 class, but its possible.

You will need a test proctor and lots of drive. I miss the drive part sometimes. :lol:

3. this is a could question. I can't afford not to work, so college is pretty much outta my reach now. How good are online classes and would i be better taking them from a local school?

4. Manitou

The DLP or local school are equal as far as credit, depending on the schools. The hardest part for me is the self-motivation to accomplish the courses. You are on your own, no class times is nice but you have to be disciplined enough to sit down and do the work. I am currently taking Philosophy 201 and it is a pretty deep subject area. But a life unexamined is not a life worth living! Oops, Socrates popping out there. :lol:

The neat thing is I can watch the lectures over and over again because they are vids or DVDs. That is a HUGE advantage over classroom time.

5. My husband takes online classes for some sort of engineering thingy thru Granthim University. And as Manitou said, i think that the biggest hurdle you have to cross is DISCIPLINE! you absolutely MUST do the work. it is your responsibility! Other than that, if you are the kind of person who WILL get this done, becuase it can be quite pricy, then go for it!!!

Most of them have people you an email questions to or call and talk to, for help if you are having problems. :)

6. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

How do tests work? Is it on the honor system in the sense that you can't take the test with your textbook by your side?

7. Manitou

You have a few different ways of doing tests.

One is the test proctor who administers it same way a professor would.

The other is online and the test is timed. It isn't administered and is on the honor system, but it would be very hard to refer to notes or textbooks due to the time constraints. The last one I did had 120 questions you had to answer in 90 minutes.

8. How bad do you want it

Hey Oakfist,

It's just a matter of how bad do you want it? Are you willing to struggle
    for some time to get what you want out of life. If that is the desire of your
    heart then you should go for it full force. Don't ever let something like time
    or money keep you from acheiving the goals you want in life. That could be
    the biggest regret in your life is looking back when your 60 or 70 and saying to yourself, "Man, I should have gone back to school!" It's to late then.
    I worked 60 hrs a week, raised a family of 3 boys, and took 17 hous a semester to get my engineering degree. Yeah, it sucked and was hard for
    a while, but ya know what,..... I survived it. & U can too. It is all a matter of--Do I want to be stuck in a dead end job for the rest of my life----
    Or--Do I want to enjoy my work, come home happy every day because I get to do the job I enjoy the most?
    You can do it if you really want to & I encourage you to do it!!!!

Remember:
    Adults - devise a plan, delay pleasure for a while, & accomplish the goal
    Children - do what is easy at the time

It is hard--I won't lie to you---
    But it is very well worth it in the end.....

I wish you well--

9. Anything is possible. I did my bachelors the old fashioned way, then went back to school for my masters - online: University of Phoenix online. What I liked, and others didn't, was that classes were "7 days a week". You were expected online to read/reply to classmates daily. Assignments were generally broken out so that weekends were free, except for reading/posting, and the assignments started solo and transitioned to groups throughout the class.

They have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice Administration.

-qor72

10. Another option Oakfist is that if you have IT experience, and you get your CCNA; you could get a spot with the FBI.

(They'll ignore you if you went the MCP route. Trust me...I know) ;)

~PM~

11. I did both online and class room classes a couple of years ago. One was for writing and the other was a Philosophy class. For the writting it was easy, just do the weekly assignemnets in Word and turn them in. The Philosophy was easier with just weekly forum writing and a final project paper. I personally liked the class room stuff becuase of the interaction with the teacher and students but the online was nice for doing the work after the kids went to bed.

12. Oakfist

Oakfist DragonWolf

Awesome, As always I can count on my CDL brethren for some good advice and words of wisdom, Looks like I will be trying my hand at some online courses here real soon, I have applied and am waiting now to hear what kind of financial suuport I can receive.

Once again, thanks CDL for the responses.