1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Section 8

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Kindu, 23 Jan 2009.

1. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    I'd probably be checking it out if I had a FP subscription, but I cancelled mine a couple of months ago.

2. Tbeast

Tbeast Recruitment Officer Officer Elder

Officer
    http://joinsection8.com

click on the link and hit north american beta and put some info in...how i just got a key

3. Sentrosi

Officer
    Kewl. File download is queued. Not sure when I'm going to have time to play this game though with the next week being a busy one for me. How long is the beta going for?

4. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

Interesting...

But sadly enough they use GameSpy, which irritates me. I will hold my nose as I log in.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2009
  5. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    :lol:

A fileplanet beta without extortion, w00t :D

Downloaded it overnight will give it a try this evening.

6. strange - I hit the web link - clicked the US beta link - filled out the form and it told me I didn't pass the screening requirements. I even modified the form with greater and lesser capacity on the specs - nothing met the qualifications. Guess they just don't want me to play :( :mad:

7. Asp

Asp Administrative Officer Officer

Officer
    Same thing happened to me Mars, and no matter what now, I can't change anything, I just don't meet their "requirements"..

Not a very well handled beta experience there..

8. hmm...i'd really like to give this a whirl, but they [FP at least, didn't try them direct] don't think my system has the 'right stuff' either. oh well. I keep finding games that require me to upgrade...I guess that's a sign.

game certainly looks good from the vids though

9. Sentrosi

Officer
    I

Love

This

Game.

10. Hamma

Officer
    It's ok, interesting and different.

The whole lock on autoaim thing is silly however.. thats a major turnoff for me I doubt I will try it out again unless they tweak that.

11. the lock on can be quite overpowered, PARTICULARLY if you do your passive loadouts right. The ultimate loadout for quick killing i found is to max anvil rounds, take points to increase your lock on time, and take points in gyro stabliziation for even more added weapon damage.

12. Manitou

I enjoyed it as well. But realizing it is beta, there are some balance issues. One thing I did notice is that you are certainly rewarded for small squad teamwork. You can be devastatingly effective if you work as a team.

The jetpack is limited but can be used as a tactical advantage in running in and "hopping" onto your opponent, blasting away at him from over his head as you sail over. This is disconcerting to someone who is not used to jetpacks. I noticed a few players didn't understand how they worked and would stay ground-bound almost all the time.

I also saw that two or three in a small squad were completely dominating if they concentrated their fire on specific targets. Me and Swifty did this a number of times to great success.

The drop ship idea, which is a direct ripoff from PlanetSide, is used exceptionally well in the game. It lends to a team who is finding itself overwhelmed being able to drop wherever they want and possibly opening up flanking maneuvers. Dropping in squad provides a chance to bring a power punch to a specific area of attack.

The multiple objectives--intelligence, capture points, etc--keep the game hopping.

The auto-lock thing is overpowered right now. For someone who is used to the process, it lends to the "cowboy" who can make or break a map as an individual. The strength of any game like this (in my opinion) is how well they balance game-play in rewarding small squad teamwork. If the map can be dominated by a bunch of cowboys, I am not interested in it. I want a game where small squads rule the day.

Overall, I am intrigued by the possibilities.

13. Jennyboo

Jennyboo Public Relations Officer Officer

Officer
    The lock on IS overpowered, not can be overpowered.. it's just a matter of who can hit the E button quicker. Over all I like the game but the lock on needs to be taken out.. The fact that they even allow you to extend the lock on time is stupid as well. So let make it easier for people who can't aim to get points. Overall I like the gameplay just that feather needs to removed altogether.

14. Sentrosi

Officer
    I could almost overlook the lockon overpowering. Almost. What I like about this game is that it makes you play as a squad or a team in order to achieve the objectives of the map. With multiple objectives coming into the map, adding in the side missions as well, makes for a hell of a game. I'm considering pre-ordering the game now. I just want to see if this could be our next game for the fall/winter.

15. I found the lock on with standard loadout ei, no extended time, and only modest increase in damage modules (anvil rounds) was not enough to kill your opponent if they were at all good at evasion. At close range, yes, even the standard lock on was very helpful. However, There are counters. you can use passive modules to make it tougher for people to lock on to you and it really does help. Also, by using passive modules to 1. INCREASE your damage, 2. INCREASE your Lock on time, then yes, IT DOES BECOME INCREDIBLE, and probably that needs to be revamped, or people will probably complain about it. But face it. they really do want you to work as a squad, The lock on has pluses as well as minuses. THe plus side is your able to lock on to the cowboys that mani speaks about and take them out. If your going up against a squad, your only gone be able to lock onto one of them, and even if you kill them the rest of the squad is gonna take you out. So, If the game is played as I think they intend (encouraging Squad mechanics) then I think it downplays the effectiveness of the lockon in changing the flow of the map, while still allowing some players with less experience take on those players that Are very good in the game and playing the cowboy. remember the lockon has a reset counter, Its not like your going around with a constant lock on everyone. but hey, it is a beta. I suggest if you like everything else about the game that everyone go to the beta forums and post their concerns about lock on mechanics.

16. Hamma

Officer
    Yea there are some threads over there complaining about it thats for sure :lol:

With the requisite "OMGNEWB LERN 2 PLAY" replies :rofl:

It certainly does promote team play no question there, this game could be sweet. Hopefully they make some tweaks, abilities like that aren't needed in PC FPS's.. unfortunately its a bleed over from console FPS games where its the norm almost.

17. Manitou

Like I have stated before, any game that promotes squad tactics has my vote. There is nothing like a squad of howling Dragon Wolves covering your flanks to get your blood stirring.

18. Hamma

Officer
    Off topic a bit..

anyone know if its possible to change Gamespy nicks? Mine is extremely annoying. :lol:

19. Sentrosi

Officer
    Yeah. Go into your Gamespy account. Click [UPDATE PROFILE]. Change your Nickname under THE BASICS. That's how I changed mine.