1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Upcoming Games Discussion' started by Khorneholio, 6 Jul 2013.

1. Did You Know...
    During the "walkthrough" video of CIG's Los Angeles office opening, our old friends at the Black Widow Company were briefly featured [1:24-1:32].

2. Ok I received a slightly worrying piece of news today...

I was a little fuzzy on how the 15% off discount worked when using it with Pledge Packages, so I asked them about it. Whilst what they told me does make more sense now, however, they have also told me this:

If this is to be taken literally; for those who can afford any of the $1,000+ pledges, they might want to pre-order sooner rather than later :(

3. Yeah they have made it pretty clear that ship values will be approx 3x what they are now in live. This is why a lot of people are buying up ships to sell. Also ships will not be able to be purchased directly with real world money come launch, however you can buy ingame credits with cash (with certain limitations)

Also 55% of the way to 21 mil :)

4. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    Thinking I'll pick up the Fueler when it's available.

5. Big Spender :)

6. What's that?

7. The starfarer.

8. Oh.

Well, as much as I don't like the idea of fuel - I get enough of that crap in Sim City, thank you - the other variants do sound quite interesting.

9. Usually by a Friday the funding would be at the next stretch goal, but that hasn't happened this time... I think just the Salvage Mechanic "class" hasn't been enough to motivate the community.

10. MobiGlas to be showcased at CitizenCon

The company is planning to have the entire team working on Star Citizen in Austin, TX to showcase the new MobiGlas mechanic; a multi-purpose ingame tool to use as a map, IFF filter and general overlay on the wrist, which players can easily put it away instead of having a HUD clutter up the screen:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13302-CitizenCon-And-MobiGlas-Concept

They also plan to have exclusive offers on between 10-14th October, so people who haven't pledged anything yet may want to wait until then.

11. I think it is more then enough, but we all know of the sale coming on the 10th. so most people are holding out.

12. Sentrosi

Officer
    With the big sale coming up on Thursday I want to put together another thread that pulls everything from this thread into one concise thread. Most questions anyone may have might be answered there. Or if there is a question that isn't answered one of us can help out.

13. The more I read, the more I see this game (or rather, its development cycle) as a massive cash grab. Everything is spend, spend, spend... This MobiGlass device is yet another way to separate people from their money. It's all about who can afford the biggest, most expensive setup.

It's like those "spiderman-sitting-behind-the-desk" memes: Everyone's spending hundreds and thousands of dollars and I'm just sitting here waiting for some actual gameplay.

14. Sentrosi

Officer
    Say what?
    Mobiglass is just an in-game interface. You won't have to 'pay' for it at all.

15. It can definitely feel like they are making a game geared towards selling product to people. Depending on how good the sale is I might buy a 2nd ship this week. I would like a Deluxe hanger, but its all trimmings.

If you play the game when it comes out, single player campaign into the multiplayer, and you like it who cares what others have. Yeah the Fleet Admirals will be epeening on day 1 but it should not really take away from your game experience. And the more ppl spend the better the game will be. If you don't trust in that then definitely limit your exposure and wait before investing.

16. Sentrosi

Officer
    Yes. There are a ton of corproations/squadrons/fleets that have already been set up that are advertizing their fleet size and how they're going to corner the market on ore because they have 60 mining barges ready to go. Or how they will be the perennial pirates because they have 90 Aurora's.

But we as Dragon Wolves know that: Size - Does - Not - Matter

This game is what you make of it. Chris Roberts is putting together a huge universe, one that he has been imagining for over 10 years, that we can all play in. The largest, most immersive sandbox we have ever seen. So where you see the megacorps/megafleets/megasquadrons I see opportunity. Perhaps it's me watching Firefly again for the umpteeth time, but I'm feeling really good about this game.

17. Not to mention that Chris Roberts has stated numerous times (emotionally) that this game will not be anything related PTW, selling products, or any combination of the sort. Everything you see right now for sale is merely to help sales to continue development. As soon as this game hits alpha, no more ship sales. Sure there is an advantage to spending money to get the bigger, better ships and such now besides funding such as being able to go out day one in your hornet or constellation, but the other problem is people are thinking that more expensive = better.

These different ships expand horizontally, not vertically in terms of upgrades. A $60 300i isn't 'better' than a $40 Auroa. There may be little things, more slots to upgrade, but it comes down to A. Aesthetics and B. Playstyle. Think of it like classic roles, tank, rouge, archer, ect. The avenger for instance, is shaping up to have a nice suit of armour and some good damage output along with room for sensor packages and such, but she is going to handle like a brick of meat. By all accounts if I want to dogfight and be a BAMF, I should shell out 110 for the hornet right? But I hate the hornet's look, and I don't want to be the X-wing of the SC universe. With the right upgrade mods, the avenger will do the dogfighting just fine (supposedly).

Take into account that this is all based on skill as well, someone in an Auroa fresh out of the ship docks in the hands of a good pilot could most likely disable a fully outdone Hornet in the hands of..well...

[​IMG]

This guy.

All your paying for now is the game itself (which might I add is cheap compared to what the game will be) with a ship. Any additional ship you buy is merely giving you more play options. When the game goes live, all you will be able to buy is credits, and even that is severely hampered to a certain amount in a certain timeframe as not to established PTW.

Honestly, in Chris Robert's shoes, wouldn't you want as much money as you can get? He has run into problems before (Wing Commander film for instance) where the studio gave him 1/3 of what normal sci-fi films get to work with for a budget, and it totally fucked him over and ruined his vision because of lack of money from a studio, among other related reasons. He dosen't want round 2 to happen with this.

18. Good post, but don't post it here, use the public forum.

19. I very much agree with Sentrosi's position. Since the outfit has been taking a fresh look at the game, I have felt very much like being a "Browncoat" is the way to go.

This huge outfit crap some people get into I find quite boring and that's mainly why I like BF3, over the 100+ battles of PS2 unless David vs. Goliath isn't frustrating which, sometimes, it can be. So what if it's only 40 of us playing the game; if it's going to be enjoyable, I can live with that... if not, I'd rather not spend money.

I care about what the ship can do and how that caters for my slow, mining/salvage role. Wing Commander was fun single-player, but it's not my scene and the role is best left for people who can tolerate dogfights 24/7. I'm happy with a profession where I don't rush around the universe like a headless space chicken.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2013
  20. Good thoughts, but I ask that all further SC discussions be made in the new SC public forums. We are trying to drum up interest in the game and one of the best ways for that to hapen is to have lots of discussion there and draw players in with our energy.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2013