1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

T3

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Praetor-Vong, 12 Dec 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tribes 3 Revealed Dec 12 12:56AM by Evil Avatar (24)
    TribalWar has snagged a forum post from Sierra's Alex Rodberg confirming that Tribes 3 is currently in development.

Looking forward, we must rely on our (and your) ability to discern what was fun and what wasn't about all the Tribes games (and even other games) and end up with a finished product that is both new and familiar at the same time. I'm confident in the team we have assembled for this daunting task. I can't wait to introduce you to them so we can get fans involved in the process as early as possible. When? When we make the official announcement, sometime next year.
    Great decision, the only problem is that knowing Sierra it will be totally SNAFU from the word "Go!"

Thanks, Shacknews.

2. mtx

mtx Official Decepticon

Let Tribes die.

PlanetSide shall be our next sword in the stone. None shall lift it either! :D

3. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    muahahahhahhahahah

4. Planet Side, I don't think my wallet is big enough.

5. Planetside + Dave G = bugy POS?

Odds - 85% +

6. Planetside + Dave G - Sierra pushing it out the door before it's ready = 200% Superior game

7. Great Dane

Great Dane <B><FONT COLOR="RED">THE LEGENDARY BANNED</FONT></

Please don't quote the trolls. It defeats the ignore feature.

Thanks.

8. Ooops. I didn't listen. :D

Where is the ignore feature, sorry I don't see one. Could I possibly cut mr. ignorance off once and for all?

9. I beg to differ man, sorry.. I read all that info when the shit was going down at Dynamix. By core employees who left, like the core of GG.. And others still employed. How Dave G didn't listen to any of them on the core of T2 design changes that resulted in base. How he pushed instead for the retarded community features that later had to be scrapped. How he forced ideas of a slower game type instead of remaining true to the original T1 design. Which IMHO made T2 inferior to classic mod or what T2 could have been. How his insistance that people develop these new features that later had to be patched out and removed anyways, resulted in T2 being 'forced'. But after all they did have over 2 years to develop the game? And in that time apparantly he did not direct his team properly to work fast enough to finish the game properly in the budget and time slice he was allocated. Simple terms: He spent his time on BS feature no one wanted, directed people to change core T1 concepts to suit his own purpose, and thus wasted time and ruined the game. As head developer of the game, it was ultimately his responsability to finish the game on time and on budget, and he did neither.

I could see him being a fall guy for Sierra if like 1 or 2 guys were saying this. But really, from what I read the entire team was very happy to see him go when he was terminated from the T2 project. Not just the current team but also past team members who he had a hand in getting rid of. I don't have anything against the guy personally, but it does seem to me that he was mostly to blame for the screwup known as T2. I just can't see him turning his design skills around fast enough to avoid the same fate with PS.

I did leave 15% possibility, though. :)

PS: This thread is about T3, though and not PS so let's try to not get too off topic. Personally, T3 I believe is going to own. They will now focus on the game, instead of all the community BS. I think after T1, T2 + the whole classic fiasco, they understand and have honed in on what makes this series so fun. Speed, skill, teamwork, etc. all the features will be present in T3. I can hardly wait for the game to come out. I really doubt they will screw it up again. There is a huge potential here to bring all previous Tribes players together under a single title once and for all (Ala Q3).

Last edited: 16 Dec 2002
  10. Hamma

Officer
    If you want to be ignorant man thats cool, just dont buy the game and spare us your 200+ character posts. And dont believe everything you read.

Dave G didnt kill t2, he had a vision of it being a better game than t1, more teamwork.. etc. Hell I didnt even play t1, i thought it was gay - but I liked t2. I know im not the only one with this opinon.

but the tribes community are all whiney bitches and to this day many of them think he is the spawn of satan (one of the many reasons I called it a career), they would have rather had T1 on a prettier engine Let them think that, its much quieter in other communties.

Besides, they wil get T1 with prettier graphics in T3 - since marweasel will bow to their every wish. I'll be off playing somthing else.

11. I for one think that Dave G learned his lesson with Tribes 2, and that Planetside is going to rock, however being the poor person that I am I'm probably not going to be able to play it.

12. Hamma

Officer
    :(

13. There is the problem. This is a SEQUEL to a game. Sequels are supposed to follow in the same ideals as the original game had. If this was some new game, I can understand new concepts that completely change how the game is played. It wasn't, it was T2. It was supposed to build upon T1, make it better. And it fell short of that. DG tried to take what was a first person, great action shooter with Jet Packs and turn it into a 16 man strategy fest. Loaded with community features, and bugs.

Having played T1 all the way through, and now classic, I can honestly say T2 has never been as good as it is today. So many other ppl share this philosophy, it's not even funny. These are the core of the Tribes series that were turned away from the game. As with any sequel, the core of the original game are the ones to carry a title and build on it. The core of T1 did not want to build on T2 because of the changes that took away from T1 gameplay. Add in the bugs that turned ALL the n00bs away from the title and thus, the death of T2 falls squarely in the hands of T2 and his dev team.

I understand a lot of new people liked T2. I can't knock them, there's nothing wrong with that. But when you try to build a sequel you KEEP the fans from v. 1 and then add to them with v. 2. DG did not only not keep the original fans he turned the new ones away. It's sad, really. Let's hope T3 will pick it up.

14. :rofl:
    :lol:

Last edited: 17 Dec 2002
  15. I dunno.. is it possible for you to ignore yourself? :p

16. welp..as stated earlier...

You don't think Planetside will be a success?

Don't buy it.

If you choose to not buy it, don't flame it, because you haven't experienced it, or really know anything about it...so your "this game will suck" theories mean absolutely nothing, therefore, why bother talking about it?

k bye nothing left to probe

***EDIT***

BTW...Hamma is correct when he says T3 will be T1 with prettier graphics...Already stated by mar-whats-his-name, they are reverting back to T1. No bomber, shocklance, tank, no skiing uphill, etc. Doesn't that sound so much like....T1? Gee....the community doesn't even have to go "wah it isn't like T1" this time, the devs are making it T1 from the start!

I wouldn't be suprised when PS comes out if people start saying "wah, this game isn't like T1." Nope, different game, as is T2.

In short, T2 in the beginning was T2, but the community got to it and made it T1 with better graphics, T3, will from the START, be T1 with better graphics than T2.

17. Dude, T3 hasn't even been to the drawing board yet.. There is no possible way anyone knows what it will turn out like, until it's being worked on. I highly suspect it will very much like T2/Classic. Because this mod completely captures all that is T1, while intelligently linking the vehicles & other additions in quite nicely.

As for PS.. While it is true that I have not tried it, I know that Dave G's latest game T2 was a failure. As was the game he worked on prior to T2, he also screwed that up royally. At this point, I do not trust in his track record. I would say based on that it's easy to make assumptions.

Unlikely and completely unecessary considering the paramaters I set forth in my statement. Thx, try again.

Look it up: IGNORANCE.

: the state or fact of being ignorant

IGNORANT

Main Entry: ig·no·rant
    Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
    2 : UNAWARE, UNINFORMED
    - ig·no·rant·ly adverb
    - ig·no·rant·ness noun
    synonyms IGNORANT, ILLITERATE, UNLETTERED, UNTUTORED, UNLEARNED mean not having knowledge. IGNORANT may imply a general condition or it may apply to lack of knowledge or awareness of a particular thing <an ignorant fool> <ignorant of nuclear physics>. ILLITERATE applies to either an absolute or a relative inability to read and write <much of the population is still illiterate>. UNLETTERED implies ignorance of the knowledge gained by reading <an allusion meaningless to the unlettered>. UNTUTORED may imply lack of schooling in the arts and ways of civilization <strange monuments built by an untutored people>. UNLEARNED suggests ignorance of advanced subjects <poetry not for academics but for the unlearned masses>.

Considering my IQ is well above 180 and I've been tested on the genius level. As well as having information on a variety of topics, this does not really fit me, does it. Read my sig, then stfu.

18. Great Dane

Great Dane <B><FONT COLOR="RED">THE LEGENDARY BANNED</FONT></

Mr. MENSA can't even find the fucking Ignore button and I'm the ignorant one?

Check the last thread I owned you in IQ boy. I posted the link to ignore me, but you were to dumb to figure it out then so I doubt your guines ass will be smart enough to click it now.

19. Wow ... aren't we Mister Dictionary this evening...

Here's some definitions for you.

PATHETIC
    pa·thet·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-thtk) also pa·thet·i·cal (--kl)
    adj.
    Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion: “The old, rather shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic” (John Galsworthy).
    Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [French pathétique, from Late Latin pathticus, from Greek pathtikos, sensitive, from pathtos, liable to suffer, from pathos, suffering. See kwent(h)- in Indo-European Roots.]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOSER
    los·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lzr)
    n.

One that fails to win: the losers of the game.
    One who takes loss in a specified way: a graceful loser; a poor loser.

One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills: “losers at home seeking wealth and glory in undeveloped countries” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
    One that is bad in quality: That book is a real loser.

I think those sum up what you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.