1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

The 4th of July

Discussion in 'DragonWolves Newswire' started by Manitou, 29 Jun 2005.

1. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I thought I would take a moment to dwell on the holiday we take as the celebration day of our Independance as a nation. This year is going to have special significance for me as my dad has come to stay with my family for a short time until he finds himself a new house.

You see, my dad is a WWII veteran of the war in Europe. He served in the United States Army, starting as a rifleman, training on the BAR, mortar, and then ending with his training on the flamethrower in preparation for the invasion of mainland Japan after VE day. Because we dropped the A-bomb, my dad is here and so am I.

Since he is here it has brought to my mind the sacrifices so many Americans have offered to the tree of Liberty. To quote the full sentence from Thomas Jefferson:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

So true. I was speaking to my dad about his experiences and he tells me of some vivid scenes. Some that seem to stick in his mind, I guess. The cries of children still bother him more than most. He remembers coming across France and the towns were all flattened and smoking. The parents were mostly dead, because when they came out of their cellars to forage for food, they usually ended up getting killed leaving the children to fend for themselves. The children, hungry and alone, were "... always crying..." my dad said. He remembers that. One time when one of my daughters asked about the necessity of being so hard minded in times of war - she has no concept of war like many of us - my dad replied by starting to explain the time he saw so many body parts. He didn't finish, but just stared at the ground caught in the horror of some moment in his mind. We didn't press him but respected his silence. My dad is just an ordinary guy really, but he is also a hero. Why? How do we assign the tag "hero" to just ordinary people?

George Washington knew the cost of war. He said, "My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth." He knew it was an abomination upon mankind. But he is also quoted as saying, "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."

This 4th of July as you celebrate with maybe a cookout, or a picnic, or even go to a local celebration, remember as you take part - maybe as the fireworks explode and light up the area, that there are those who may look upon those fireworks and become lost in memories of war. War they fought in to maintain what we as Americans see as liberty and freedom for ourselves and others. If you see or know someone like this walk up to them and thank them for their service and sacrifice. Then take a moment and remember those who are even today experiencing this horror of war. Serving and sacrificing as so many Americans have done from those first fruits of Liberty in the summer and winter of 1775 and 1776 to the sharing of Liberty with those today.

This weekend is going to be very special to me because I have a hero as a dad.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2005
  2. Aye

Well Said!

Westerback

3. nice post mani

It's good to be free....

4. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    My father was a Vietnam Vet. He never talked much about the war. He just said that he did his duty and came home in one piece. Much luckier than some of his friends. He would drift off whenever something with Vietnam would come up, especially in the early 80s when the buzz was about the missing POWs still being held there. When I asked him one time, he just sort of stared through me, not at me, for about a minute. He then asked what it was that I wanted, almost like I never asked the question. I just shook his hand and said, "Nothing Dad. Nothing at all."

My father is dead three years and not a moment goes by that I don't think to myself, "I wish he was here to celebrate Kendra's life." I then say to myself that he is here, in her heart and mind, In my heart and mind, and in the hearts and minds of all the people my father touched in his short life. I baptise my baby in a couple of weeks. My mother will be there standing right beside me as Kendra is welcomed into God's house. It will be bittersweet, but I know he'll be right there, beside my mother with a glistening tear in his eye.

My father was a hero, not because he fought in a war, but because he was my father. :love: RFK

Oh, Happy 4th of July everyone!

5. Happy Fourth of July! Well said everyone. And let us not forget the Women that bravely served alongside the men. They are out there now and were back in the old days as well.
    My Grandmother was in the Navy during WWII And to this day she is very proud of that fact. Her name is even on a memorial in a Park in Greeley, Colorado. She has Alzhiemers, which is a terrible terrible disease that robs people of their memories, however one of the few memories She has not let go is the fact that she served this country very proudly. And she will stand up and tell anyone and everyone all about it. Although now the facts have become blurry and she often times forgets. Not to mention that now she has not only served in the Navy, she has been a marine, in the army, and flown a jet as a pilot.(part of her disease) The one things she knows for sure is that in some capacity she has served her country and helped to make a difference in the world! Can you say the same?
    God bless all the Men, Women and their families who sacrafice the seperation from a loved one while they serve, or the ultimate sacrafice of a life! We would not be the Greatest nation in this world if it were not for people like you out there everywhere.