1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

The time for a new axe has come.

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Kaikou, 2 Aug 2007.

1. Dangit you guys and gals are killing me. Due to a thumb injury in my left hand, I cant play. And I want to learn. Tried a few years ago, but the pain was just too much. I miss my music making days back in high school. Guess Ill just have to live vicariously thru you all.

2. Yeah, the Gibson Les Paul Standard remains the ethereal guitar to own for me. That, or maybe a PRS 513, which stands for 5 way, 13 tones. Apparently it is capable of covering just about every style of music out there with its extremely versatile tone settings. Good luck finding one for less than $3000 though :eek:

3. Sentrosi

Sentrosi Protocol Officer Officer

Officer
    BD, I know it's kind of a drive, but you may want to give Cotton Hill Studios a ring or e-mail. My wife works at that recording studio and, if you guys want to step up a bit, come on down to Albany on a weekend and come into the studio. If you're interested I can PM you my wife's work email.

4. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

5. Om

Om DragonWolf

donkey, we bought all of our guitars used and the all tube amp also. The studio and the all tube amp were from a desperate musician needing money for food and rent. Practically begged us to take them and we payed cash, unbelievable price. The standard is birds eye maple...gorgeous. Also used, in mint condition. Keep your eyes open and your guitar will find you.

The standard is really heavy. Sometimes my husband puts it down and uses my studio because it's lighter weight and when he gets really tired, he uses his precious baby, the beat up old white one with the finish wearing out. it's the lightest weight electric we have. The sounds not as good, but he can play longer and he loves the thing.

This is reliable source for used guitars and is where my husband bought his standard:

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/UIL.htm

Last edited: 4 Aug 2007
  6. I have that same amp Donkey, it works great for me, though I'd love to have something like a marshall half stack. As for those guitars you listed, they both look great. Personally I'd suggest going for the Ephiphone.

7. symen

symen DragonWolf

Epiphones are made by Gibson, and are very nice guitars in their own right. If you really want the sound of an LP Custom without the premium price, that Epiphone with a pair of P-90 pickups swapped in will get you a sound that is indistinguishable from a $3000 Gibson.

You say you'd love to get a Gibson LP, would your budget allow this one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

I played one at a Guitar Center a few months ago, in my opinion it's a better guitar than some of the more expensive LP standards and customs. It's a Studio model built to vintage specs. As Om said, the Standards and Customs are heavy, I got a Studio because it's lighter.

On the amp, I'm not a fan of solid-state and modeling amps in general, as they get drowned out too easily when playing with others. Nobody has found a way yet to emulate the harmonic spread that allows a tube amp to cut through a mix the way it does. Of course, you may only be playing in your bedroom, in which case the price and lack of maintenance of a solid-state amp may be just the ticket.

8. symen

symen DragonWolf

I'm loving this thread too, I've been getting back into playing and writing music myself lately. I've also been teaching Mrs. symen to play bass, and she's learning very fast -- this is really rewarding for me, as it's something that I love doing, and we'll be able to do it together. My new band gets together to play for the first time on Saturday, I'm excited. :D

9. Om

Om DragonWolf

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222
    This one you linked, donkey....
    My husband's special fave is a Gibson SG. This thing is almost 40 years old and we payed some moeny to have the hardware replaced recently. the sound quality is decent, but not as good as the les pauls. This was my husband's first guitar and the one he learned on. It gets used today often because it's so light weight - he can play forever on it even when he's really tired.

10. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

Thanks all for the info/advice!

At this point I am leaning toward the Epiphone.... All technical comparisons aside, I love the way it looks and like Symen suggested, I could always replace the pickups.

The vintage gibson linked is a bit out of my price range..... you gotta remember, I am still a guitar-playing newb :p Have been playing a cheap accoustic for only a couple months....At this point, I am looking to get the best bang for the buck with an electric, and some time down the line I will have the funds and hopefully the skills to justify a high(er)-end guitar (and amp).

11. Om

Om DragonWolf

12. Woo, DT770's! :D

13. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Dang it, I forgot to take my camera to practice Sunday. Perhaps will stop by King's house later this week to get some pics.

Anyway, as for the Foul Stench deal...we have a guy in the Ukrain who is going to promote us (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=104161672) ....he will be stamping out professionally done CD's and perhaps other things (stickers, maybe t-shirts).

Yes, we have checked him out. It costs us no money for him to do this. He has promoted other underground bands. We feel that we can't lose.

And the cd's are professionally made, meaning they AREN'T CD-R's. So they will play in anything. We have had probs with our CD-R's.

And he is already advertising our 2008 full length cd, which we are at work composing! And the songs are even heavier!! And of course more sick! One song is called "Sores" hahahahahahahah

We even have a Chinese label wanting to do our older (1990's) Stench songs.

Will see what we can do for that.

Pictures of my stuff sometime.

Oh, the bass cab with the 15" is Son of Bertha, and the two 10" cab is the Goliath Jr III by SWR. I was confused. That can happen at times.

Keep it Heavy

Hail Bathory
    Hail Quorthon
    Hail the Hordes

14. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Forgot to mention, the first pressing is one thousand cd's. We get one hundred of them. Not a bad deal.

15. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

I have that video I made of the practice I attended Chuk. I can link it here when I get home.

16. Om

Om DragonWolf

Chuck, let me know when you get those made. I'd like to buy one.

17. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

Are you sure, Om?? heheheh

Definately not something you want the kids to hear!!

And again, very heavy. I'm sure some have heard the tunes on myspace. The ones on my site there are older FS. The one's on the FS myspace site are only one song, a medley of the latest cd, and two from older stuff.

Be careful what you ask for!! hehehehe

18. Om

Om DragonWolf

I'm sure. The kids don't have to hear it.

19. symen

symen DragonWolf

I'd love to buy one too... :D

20. Well it came, and I've been loving every minute of it. It would take an act of congress to put this thing out of tune. It weighs next to nothing, I was shocked when I compared the weight of my fender strat to it. The strat is a brick! The body is slim with curves like a woman (mmmm...) but it maintains a full bodied tone. The strings it came with are 9s which I'm not particularly fond of so I'm going to switch them out for 10s. Overall, this guitar is a keeper. Next in line will be either a Les Paul Standard or a PRS 513. (I can dream...)