1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Theres no appropriate title

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Swift As Feather, 20 Mar 2006.

1. Rayzer: Zabdiel, how can you not bring emotions and feelings into who God is? That is what makes God meaningful to you. It would be fine if the Bible was written by God, but we know it is not.

What I am saying is not to rely on your emotions to make your decisions in life.
    the bible was written by man..is that correct? i mean...other than the ten commandments(a story written by man) i don't believe god ever wrote anything....and man is failable...man makes mistakes...man is influenced by his surroundings...and to be honest...the early christians had alot to be pissed off about...correct? think that might affect some of the writings? just wondering....

2Timothy3:16-17 is where I get the inspiration of the Bible from. (One of the places) - The other is prophecy, b/c none of us know the future and God had given it to man for him to write down, so that it would be proof that it came from God.
    16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work:.

Test-could you please find the scripture reference so I can look that up? I don't know exactly what that is about David or Solomon you are speaking in reference to.

Rayzer-
    Have you studied the Bible in depth?

And to your question about me interpreting scripture-
    I may read the Old Testament and compare it with what Paul, Peter, or Jesus taught about it in the New Testament to make sure that I have a grip on the text. I look at the context of the passage. I look at the history that is happening in that area at the time the writings took place. I look at who is writing and who they are writing it to. I look at the history of the area after the writings to see what lessons can be learned from the writing. I look at the language that it was written in and look up the original words of the text and look at their meanings. There are alot more things to look at when I am reading scripture. After I do all of this and make my notes, then I look up and see what others think about the same passages. Do my viewpoints agree with others on the matter? Why or why not? Is it essential that my viewpoint match up with other scholars on this particular subject. Why or Why not? These are just some of the questions that I am looking for as I am studying scripture.

Where do you keep coming up with 1500 years a

2. Inspired is not the same thing as "written and edited for content by".

You're trying to tell me that the accepted definition of a word can changed based on what you want to read into the bible? Give me a break.

That verse could also be the justification for passing the collection plate at mass. Hey, the bible says its profitable right?

3. Ground Chuk

Ground Chuk BANNED

It's funny how people will talk about this book and say "This means that, that means this...and we have to live like what it says here..etc...etc". But yet, if something in this book doesn't jive with something they want or like or whatever, then it suddenly becomes "well, that's not what it really means" or "Times have changed".

Just look around at the "devouts"...I see on tv a minister dude with a damn nice suit, his wife there with nice jewelry, fancy hair, makeup.

I see in the church parking lots of nice cars, people coming to church all gussied up.

I see church goers who think money and social status as most important.

I see these people using the Internet to "spread the word".

Yet, didn't this book people so believe in rail against such things? Wasn't Pride some kind of sin?

And Information was "The Devil"?

"Times have changed, so we must" they say.

Well, I must say this...Who the hell are you to change this book you all preach is the answer? When did YOU become this god to decide what can be changed?

You all should be living in a cave with big leaves covering your "privates" and having nothing else but food to survive on.

As for the rest of us...the hot women should be allowed to run around naked, and not be looked down upon for having sex with whomever she wants!! Yea!!

4. 2 Timothy 2:14 Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers.

5. Oh man. Posting in religion debate threads is like running wild through a mine field but here it goes...

In my opinion ©®

The bible is a guide book. Nothing more. Very little of it likely happened. David and Goliath: No. A child did not defeat a very tall man wearing armor with a sling shot. But when you look at the message of the story, you realize it is simply trying to say you can accomplish great things when you try your hardest. It is like Santa Clause. We tell our kids that a big fat man in a red outfit comes down the chimney on christmas bearing presents. But Santa sees all, and if you are a naughty kid, you will get a lump of coal! So we associate a rather rediculous story as a way to say "Be nice and you will be rewarded. Be bad and get screwed." This is a perfect representation of what I belive the bible is. The same scare tactics are used in the bible: "Be a good person and pray to god or burn in hell forever."

Rayzer's view is nearly identical to my own on religion as a whole. If you want to know more, read his previous posts :p

6. For me, I wouldnt do the abortion thing. (Although Im married and that) But if I wasnt married and ended up pregent. The olny way Id personaly adbort is either 1. If it would kill me or 2. If I were raped. Other than those reasons I wouldnt do it because it takes 2 to tango. As for the religion part of this post is, Im a believer and Im not afraid to say so. Although I'll admit I dont go to church every sunday (In fact havent been to a church since Ive gotten married last year) and I'll admit I dont do all the things I should do. But I figure Im human and Im allowed to make mistakes. Even thought I believe God is the only reason why I an alive today. And I'm sayin sorry now ofr all the typos, im so sleepy! :p

7. Om

Om DragonWolf

This is a very personal decision and I am definitely pro-choice but it caught me off guard to see that in the case of rape you would choose to punish the child for the sins of the father.

8. Its hard to say whether a child conceived through rape would be punished more through abortion or birth. I cannot imagine such a child having a normal growth and development, no matter how loving and compassionate the family is towards them. Its a difficult question to ask.

9. Om

Om DragonWolf

That's a good point, scotty. My mother was punished for being illegitimate.

10. I have something to say about abortion and rape. When I was in college, one of my best friends was raped and got pregnant as a result. Being a good Catholic girl and very much against abortion, she decided to have the baby and give it up for adoption. Unfortunately, this did not work. What happened to her, and what I think most people don't think about, is that being pregnant was a 24/7 reminder of the violence and hell she went through. There was no escape. It finally came down to her or the baby, so she had the abortion. This was no easy decision for her and it was a decision that was against all her religious and moral beliefs.

This was a changing point for me as well. Up until then I had been ProLife. I had even protested at a local hospital that was performing abortions. However, seeing her in hell with the pain from the rape and the abortion (I blame the rapist for that pain as well!), I realized that the choice must be there in such cases as this or in medically necessary cases. I have an issue with abortion being used as a form of birth control, but that isn't MY choice.

There is no 'father' in a rape...only a monster.

11. Om

Om DragonWolf

I haven't had to live through this or make any decision like this. Sadly , just as you said, it sounds like he victimized her several times over -the rape, her suffering over carrying the child, then her making a choice that went against her values and beliefs.

It caught me off guard to see that people have already made the decision to have an abortion ahead of time in the event they become pregnant from rape even though they are against abortion in general. ...maybe because you guys have watched someone suffer through this?

I mean, I honestly can't say what I would do because I haven't gone through that particular life experience and I don't know if I can shoulder that burden or not until I've tried.

12. zab...i think its was samuel...no guarantee...it was back in 1994 and i can't even remember half the time what i did last night...you are far more knowledgeable about that stuff so it might be easier for you to find it...besides...i don't know what box my bible is in at this point in my life..heh..

oh..btw...which bible exactly are we supposed to read from? aren't there like 8 different ones?

13. Queen, I don't know personally what I would have done if I had got pregnant from a rape. I had always thought I would try to carry that child, but there is no way to know what would have happened. I just know what I saw my friend go through and I can't condemn anyone who has to make that kind of decision.

14. Hamma

Hamma Commanding Officer Officer

Officer
    [​IMG]

:D

15. This makes me sick.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I couldn't get past the first 3 mins of this clip. Not only is it disgusting, disheartening and cruel, its sad. That WE, the American people, could do such horrifying things. They say that we are the greatest country in the world, yet we allow slaughter of innocent babies. Use protection. Its cheap, its easy and its convenient. This should not be a one side vs the other. This is cut and dried, MURDER. A sin. Regardless of the circumstances, there is by no means any excuse or justifyable reason to commit such an atrocity. This clip made me cry. It will probably give me nightmares, those that some people need to have to stop this sensless act. These children didn't ask to be born. Why should they suffer because we Americans are lazy, horny, psycho or otherwise. It is not a choice. Most of all it is not YOUR choice.

16. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're about two weeks and 500 posts late.

17. its not always your choice tho...pregancy by rape? no one chooses that...the kind of emotional trauma that someone could go thru with that...you can't imagine it unless you experience it first hand...im sure...i can't fathom how much that would mess me up...can you?

the clip is horrifying...its supposed to be..that what propagana is for...in all its forms...pro or con...a mother will die unless she has to abort the baby...not her choice there were complications were there? you think that the decision is not heart wrenching for that future mother or father to have to make? its one thing to hold to your beliefs...but to not recognize how easy you can be manipulated by things like that...thats another thing..

now im wondering...if someone where to show back alley abortions when this becomes illegal...the out cry would be something like...well..she shouldn't have gotten knocked up and done something illegal now should she? will we see the father of said child standing next to the mother? yes..in some cases you will im sure...and see his pain in the situation...but in most...probably not...and then...if she survives...she is arrested...

many women do not make this kind of decision half heartedly...and with a grain of salt...unfortunaly what you hear of are the execptions that women do use it as a form of birth control...there is a young girl about 18 on my block pregnant...she chose to keep the child...she also chose to bring it into a life of drugs and crimminal activity...she smokes pot..and sniffs glue...drinks and smokes...all the stuff that the people at child services are telling her not to do...i feel horrible for the life that child is coming into...but...she made her choice...she wasn't forced to...

18. I just realized I never watched that clip on the first post. o_O\

Edit: I just love how they go from using a Quarter in the first few clips then use a dime in later ones to give you the impression that they develop a lot faster than they really do. Gotta love that unbiased truth.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2006
  19. Om

Om DragonWolf

To have an abortion is your choice though. I'm not judging anyone who has had to go through rape and chosen abortion because they couldn't take it emotionally. Only the woman who is carrying the baby should be the one to make the choice. It's her body.

I'm just suprised that people who havent' faced this yet, expressed abortion goes against their values and have already chosen abortion in the case of rape if it ever comes up.

I have been raped and I can tell you the most traumatic part of being raped for me was everyone judging *me* for it. Humans are the cruelest of all living creatures.