1. Hello! You are currently viewing our community as a guest. Register today and apply to be a member of one of the longest standing gaming communities around. Once you have registered learn about our team and how to apply!

Walmart = Scary

Discussion in 'General Open/Public Discussion' started by Oed, 23 Dec 2003.

1. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

There are countless tales of Wal-Mart stores pressuring local city councils to rezone private land (legally owned by private land owners who refuse to sell the land to Wal-Mart) in the interest of "Imminent Domain" and take that land to build a Wal-Mart store. This is justified by saying that the land will bring more commerce and the city council is swayed by the tax revenue. The land owner is usually not able to defend themselves in court due to the legal fees that are a drop in the bucket for Wal-Mart but may be a king's ransom for the land owner.

Scary stuff.

2. Jouster

Jouster DragonWolf

Just another mega-evil congolmert that needs to be chopped at the knees.

3. :stupid:

Walmart has a tendancy to move into a smaller area and lowball everyone and then when everything has closed in the area they move out. Do a search for walmart costs you always and they have a lot of interesting stories.

4. Om

Om DragonWolf

It's a shame Sam Walton died. Apparently he was a good man.

5. I refuse to shop at Walmart. That story is just the tip of the iceberg.

6. Careful Oed, they are your bread and butter. ;) I won't shop there either. When they do almost 40% percent of video game sales you do what they ask.

7. Walmart sells condoms...

I remember when I was a kid I thought they were sleeping pills or something...

Extra sensitive night pleasure.
    Lubricated for pleasure.

Who couldn't mistake those for sleeping pills at a young age..?

...Guys?

8. Oed

Oed

Yup, they are the main retailer for our titles. They are the reason the mini box is everywhere. I kinda like them for that really.

I will say my industry is one of the few that Walmart has had little influence in as far as prices and what not. I feel lucky.

Just thought it was an interesting story.

And I wish I would have purchased those pickles for $2.97...I want one and I am out (grin)

9. :lol:

10. Heh. Not for long. If you think they are an important customer now, wait till they are doing 70% of your business. Then they'll really have you by the balls. You're selling a game to them for $20 and they'll come to you and say....you know, we love this game, how about you sell it to us for $15 instead. Next year they want a similar new game but for $13.

Then maybe they start telling you what kind of games they want to buy or what kind of games you need to produce :|

What do you do? You take it up the ass because you can't afford to lose all their business. But pretty soon, you can't afford their business either, then OED is out of a job and some guy making $3/hour in India is doing it for you.

Things are just starting to take off. Walmart is single handedly changing the way suppliers do business. Do you know how Walmart works now? They say, "We'll give you 12 feet of shelf space, we want an X percent profit margine from that shelf space." You put whatever the hell you want there. End of the year comes and your crap didn't make Walmart X percent profit. Guess who eats the difference? I'll give you a hint, it's not Walmart. Your stuff didn't sell? Walmart sends it back for a refund.

I know people who have worked for suppliers of Walmart, there are thousand of stories. And it's just beginning. It is seriously some scary shit.

You might love them now, come talk to me in 3-5 years about it.

11. Manitou

Manitou Old War Horse DragonWolf

It's the rise of the New Conglomerate!!!! Terran Republic UNITE and destroy this pestilance NOW!

12. It's already the worlds largest corporation, I think we're too late :(

13. Don't quote me on this but I have already heard rumblings that they want 20 dollar games to start coming out at 14.95. If you thought value games where bad before just wait.

14. DonkeySmiler

DonkeySmiler Eater of Gnomish Persons DragonWolf

We had a class dicussion one day about how Walmart is the most sued entity. (period! next being the ths US government). There are lawyers out there that only specialize in sueing walmart. Because it would often cost them more to fight a case in court, they would almost always settle. As of late, they have begun to fight the cases regardless of the money loss to make a statement. I know at the time I felt kinda bad for wallmart and all the whacky cases that were brought against them, but after reading the article in this post, I say SUE THE M'FERS! :evil:

15. Walmart is a super-evil company. Generally in the past GM has been the biggest employeer in the US, but now Walmart is...

Fact: GM employes more higher-level positions, such as engineers and designers and crap. Even the wrenchturners have unions so they get paid pretty well. 95% of the Walmart employees are in super low-level positions making crap money, stocking shelves or other lamen tasks.

Fact: Walmart, in their "quest" to have low low low prices, has lots of tertiary effects on other businesses, like their suplliers. They try to bleed them so low that inorder for the suppliers to still make enough profit they have to move part of their operation overseas, furthur screwing americans.

Fact: Walmart is a predatory business and once it takes over you wont be seeing super-low prices anymore ;p

Walmart may be like, more convienent...and save you a few bucks here and there, but crap like this is causing lots of people their jobs because we are too stingy to spend like, 50 cents more for a bag of cereal or something.

And Walmart sucks because its overrun with rednecks, but thats beside the point...

16. What comes around goes around. Things to keep in mind, the early part of the last centruy was dominated by Sears. They had something like 25% of the retail market. They got fat and lazy and look where they are today. When this happens to Walmart they will fall faster than Sears.

Internet business is up 48% over last year to a tune of almost 3 billion dollars in sales. I think this is what is going to hurt Walmart and change the face of the retail market. When all you have to do is warehouse you inventory and not worry about store fronts that saves money and the webretailer can sell things at lower prices. Thus undercut Walmart.

17. yes, because eToys.com and Pets.com did so well.

18. Full Otto

Full Otto Chain Gun Madman

With the rise to the internet so much has changed (and all for the better? not sure)

Most of us here are affected by walmart in one way or another (jobs moving over seas) but the net has done the same thing. How many store front business' went under because the net provides the same thing cheaper. Think of almost any antique and it's value now, is it as rare as it used to be? When in a matter of minutes anyone anywhere in the world can see it (used to be people didn't realize they had stuff that was valuable, now you can hit e-bay or any number of places and see stuff that is anywhere in the world) know what I am saying?

Same thing is happening to business, why make it in the us, I can import this stuff cheaper and not use any US sales, let the net sell for us.

A friend once said when the internet was just a few users and just getting in swing, "This internet scares me, it may change to much to fast" Yeah, his lively hood is computers and he relies on it just as we do. Scary stuff.

19. Change happens, at first towns needed to be independent of each other. As technolgy grows the world shrinks. It is the way of things. We can either stand at the banks of change and scream it isn't fair or jump into the stream of change and go with the flow.